PDA

View Full Version : June 6, 1944 - The Sands Of Time Remember Oh So Well..

DougGuy
06-06-2016, 12:36 AM
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/dumb%20stuff/D-DaySandSculpture_zpsfaowlllb.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/dumb%20stuff/D-DaySandSculpture_zpsfaowlllb.jpg.html)

Four-Sixty
06-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks to all who worked behind the scenes, in every capacity, to make D-Day work.

Thank you to all those who made sacrifices on that day - you will never be forgotten.

OS OK
06-06-2016, 08:30 AM
Isn't that something? That really sums it all up. Makes me just stare and think of all that it implies...
God bless and keep those warriors…thanks to them we speak english…not german!

aephilli822
06-06-2016, 02:54 PM

fatnhappy
06-06-2016, 06:20 PM
be closer to the truth if the sand was red. Omaha beach was still pink when my wife's grandfather went ashore on D+3

osteodoc08
06-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Over 10k men lost on the allied side. Just wow. That sand sculpture really does capture many facets of that day.

DLCTEX
06-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Over 10k men lost on the allied side. Just wow. That sand sculpture really does capture many facets of that day.
My uncle included.

Blackwater
06-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Sometimes, a picture really is worth more than 10,000 words, and that one has left me speechless for a while. My father and father in law were both in the Pacific campaign, but I've known many vets who were on that beach on that day, and they will always be true heroes to me. Even as a kid, I knew Mickey Mantle was a "celebrity," but those men at Normandy were genuine, real heroes, and I knew the difference between the two.

All the Medal of Honor recipients I've ever heard talk, or seen their words quoted in print, have been universally humble and just grateful to still be here. Many of them died, of course, on the way to winning that medal. And truth be told, every one of those men who stormed that beach should probably have been awarded that medal, but none would really have cared much about it. I've never known a more humble and thankful set of men than those who survived that battle. They'll be my greatest heroes until the day I die. None were perfect men, of course, but every one earn our everlasting respect and gratitude.

Chill Wills
06-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Interestingly topic, Normandy has been a place I have thought well worth visiting.

Landed in Paris two days ago. It is almost midnight. I am awake and have some jet lag.

We are not at Normandy until Sunday. We were not able to time our vacation to make the June 6, 7th work but good enough for my kids, wife and I to spend three days there this weekend. I hope parts of three days on the ground will help us understand what our forces did. Walking on the soil can drive history home. Hopefully seeing the area will help put more 'Freedom isn't Free' in our safe daily lives back at home.

-Michael