PDA

View Full Version : Uberti High Wall with twin triggers, problem.

Four Fingers of Death
06-05-2016, 08:33 PM
My friend was at the range yesterday and was running in his new Ubeauty. It seemed to fail to fire many times and he didn't seem to be doing anything differently that I could see, pulling the rear trigger to set it and then pressing the front trigger to fire (occasionally, haha).

Is he missing something here?

He lives on a farm and does not have the internet so I am checking things on his behalf.

4060MAY
06-05-2016, 08:46 PM
assuming it is a winchester copy
CF or RF
is he cocking the hammer? Uberti's only go into half cock on closing
a friend of mine has a 22lr low wall, chamber was cut too deep and the firing pin too short
thick rimmed brass shot ok sometimes, most target ammo did not fire
only gun he ever lost money on when he sold it

Chill Wills
06-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Even thought it is a set trigger rifle you should be able to fire it using only the front trigger. Unset, it will be a heavy trigger but should still release the sear. As a test, try NOT setting the rear set trigger and attempting to fire using only the heavy front. That may help locate the area to look for the problem.

Four Fingers of Death
06-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Thanks Chill, I suggested that to him, but he insists that it will not fire that way and I watched him try it. I don't know how hard he was pulling on it, but as dear old Grandma used t say, "he's not the brightest button in the box.'

I will try and wrestle it off him when he brings it up again. I will have to take my Browning BLCR up and give him a shot. He might relinquish the Uberti then, he seemed reluctant to hand it over on it's first outing after waiting for a year after ordering it. Hopefully his wife will be shooting next visit, she is a paramedic and is as sharp as a tack. I will brief her and she will graciously (and discretely) guide him, haha.

An odd couple, both of Norwegian descent. He would have made a good farmer and I can see her as a Viking Princess / Shieldmaiden leading raids and commanding her tribe.

oldred
06-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Unless I am mistaken the Uberti will not fire with the single trigger pull and although I have not personally tried it I have heard of people complaining about that very thing. The first time I became aware of it was when a new owner on another forum was asking about a method of correcting this situation and I thought it then to be an odd setup, since then have heard others mention it also so I assume it is indeed designed that way?

Yellowhouse
06-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Oldred is correct. A lot of people assume these are double set, double lever triggers and they are not!!!! They are double triggers but single lever and single set. Must be set before firing! Very awkward system in my book.

JHeath
06-06-2016, 09:29 PM
Yeah sounds like double set, single-lever trigger which is relatively common on muzzleloaders I gather. The Dru Hedgecock set triggers on my flintlock are single-lever. It doesn't seem awkward to me, other than once you cock it, you must set the rear and trip the front trigger to lower the hammer.

4060MAY
06-07-2016, 09:44 AM
to de-cock a Uberti or single-lever trigger
hold the hammer and push the rear trigger forward releasing the sear

gewehrfreund
06-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a light hammer spring and/or too short firing pin. I don't recall my Uberti with the double sets giving me this problem, but it's been a while since I've had a chance to shoot it :-(
Too many guns; too little time . . .

45stomp
06-07-2016, 05:58 PM
I had a low wall 38-55 uberti that would misfire frequently(with CCI primers) due to a soft firing pin strike. It shot without misfires by switching to federal primers(softer cup). If you look at the primer you can tell if it's not getting whacked hard enough, the dimple will be shallower than normal.

Darcy:)

50target
06-07-2016, 09:18 PM
I have two Uberti's, a low wall with double triggers in 32-20 and a high wall in 38-55 with single trigger. Love them both. Great shooters.One thing to check is the front screw on the top tang, if he has a tan sight.if too long it will interfere with triggers. If no tang sight then filler screw ma be run down too far.Either case, back screw out to see if that corrects.Enjoy.
Bob

JHeath
06-07-2016, 10:31 PM

I just tried that on my Chambers/Siler lock with Hedgecock single-lever set trigger. Didn't work on mine. But thanks just the same, it's a bit of info I never heard before and will come in handy with a different rifle someday.

northmn
06-08-2016, 07:49 AM
I don't know the setup for a Uberti, but I have built a few muzzle loaders with the single throw double set triggers. They were common on many of the Appalacian rifles. I quit using single lever as they are a bit of a pain in that they always need to be set to uncock the rifle. The main spring tension was also critical on them. I could see where it would work to push the trigger forward as some were set up with a stop such that the lever would rest lower than the sear and jump by spring tension when the front trigger was pulled. Double lever triggers are designed with two levrs that can contact the sear, a sigle lever only has one bar to contact the sear and the front trigger acts kind of like a sear for engagement of that single lever. Hawken rifles were famous for the use of the double lever system.
As long as the hammer falls it is not the trigger.

DP

Yellowhouse
06-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Thats what is awkward! Be sure an drop the lever and eject first if you've a loaded round and decide not to fire. I'm not sure how you'd treat a Hedgecock set up on a ML. I always opted for the double lever, DST's.

Seabee1960
06-08-2016, 10:42 AM
169796The problem is probably in the tension screw between the triggers. Screw it in all the way, then back it out until you get reliable trigger engagement.

Four Fingers of Death
06-08-2016, 11:05 AM
169796The problem is probably in the tension screw between the triggers. Screw it in all the way, then back it out until you get reliable trigger engagement.
I think that might be the problem. I mentioned that the screw was well out and looked like it might come adrift, but the owner insisted it was right. I will printout your comment and show him. Like I said he is not the brightest button in the box and is hard to convince, haha. Thanks.

Chill Wills
06-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Oldred is correct. A lot of people assume these are double set, double lever triggers and they are not!!!! They are double triggers but single lever and single set. Must be set before firing! Very awkward system in my book.

Old Red, Yellowhouse,
Good to know.
Good to know if I can remember it, that is :cry:
My memory acts like it is full!

gnoahhh
06-08-2016, 01:24 PM
You might want to redact your comments before printing this page to show him, ha ha!

Four Fingers of Death
06-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Cut and paste to Word, haha.

Yohann
12-28-2016, 05:05 PM
I just bought a high wall double set trigger in 40-65 WCF before Thanksgiving....pulled it from the box cleaned it, loaded up some bullets and went to the range.....no joy, the gun wouldn't fire, and to make a long sordid of story of shipping and warranty and such like, the problem was too stiff a sear spring, gun fires every time now. Warranty gunsmith said he lightened the sear spring they have been having a few of these have the same problem from uberti. Hope this helps

Four Fingers of Death
12-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Thanks, he ended up getting it going, I can't remember what he did to fix it.