PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur "bed"?

GoodOlBoy
06-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Once upon a time I read an article talking about homemade black powder and the article gave details on how to make a sulfur "bed". For the life of me I can't remember much other than it seemed to me it was a composting bed of some sort, but I can't even remember that much. All I remember was that it was touted as being the solution to acquiring sulfur for making homemade black powder. Seems to me it was also a very OLD article, probably 1940s or so, but I can't be sure. There's been alot rattle around in this old noggin and some of it fell out.

Anyway does this sound familiar to anybody?

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

Geezer in NH
06-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Uh maybe it was for the nitrate????

adrians
06-05-2016, 09:29 PM
I seem to recall a video of some younger survivalist fella and he was composting for about a year or two to get nitrate for his BP.
I could be way off base here, my memory gets worse every day...:evil: .

I would google something like " Making BP the natural way " or something like that...

You might find what your looking for.
Good luck and let us know if you dig anything up..:mrgreen:

Fly
06-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Ya is was for making potassium nitrate KNO -3 most likely.
Most during the Civil War came from bat caves.

Fly

GoodOlBoy
06-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Yeah I know about the KNO3 beds. Heck even chicken poop contains enough to make it worthwhile using for a KNO3 bed. Although the best thing I saw for that was using a V trough with straw and gravel like you use for getting lye out of ashes for extracting the KNO3 then boiling the water.

But I would have sworn there was something about a sulfur bed. I remember the mention of rotten eggs, and other things in relationship to it... heck I dunno. Like I said the noggin has lost a bit over the years.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

Tatume
06-06-2016, 07:27 AM
One method of refining sulfur is to make a "bed" of sulfur-containing ore and ignite it. The sulfur will melt and drain to the bottom, where it is collected. I believe this method originated in Italy. For the method to be useful, the ore must contain a high concentration of elemental sulfur. Such ores can be found in Louisiana and Texas, as well as Sicily, Italy.