PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets impregnated with grits.

docone31
05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Here is a question for those who know.
I have several centerfires. I am planning on firelapping them all.
Has anyone firelapped with lead castings?
Is it more efficient with copperclads then lead?
For my .30cals., and .303. I do plan on paper patching. If I go all the way to polish grit, then use paper patch, I should have a fairly smooth bore.
Anyone done that with lead only?

MT Gianni
05-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Here is a question for those who know.
I have several centerfires. I am planning on firelapping them all.

Why? Is there a problem that slugging your bbl has shown? Are there rough spots that a lead lap revealed? Is accuracy a problem with a properly sized bullet? How much jacketed have they seen?

docone31
05-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Haven't fired the .25cal, or 6mms yet.
More or less throwing this out to see if anyone has used, or done this.
It does seem to me, barrels have done well for years before this new stuff.

leftiye
05-16-2008, 07:46 PM
It does seem to me, barrels have done well for years before this new stuff.

In a way, that's a variation on what MtGianni's saying. Shootem firstem. Yeah, maybe run a patch real tight to see if anything snags or drags. Slug them and see if there are tight places. Shoot em sum and see how they shoot. Only lap if there's a problem that requires lapping. Search the files, there's all you could want to know about lapping, and firelapping.

MT Gianni
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I would not consider a new bbl for accuracy until it had at least 100 rds of jacketed downrange. 200 might be even better. Gianni

Down South
05-16-2008, 11:55 PM
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. New barrels do require a break in period. I'm in the process of breaking one in now. I shoot jacketed ammo doing this.

IcerUSA
05-17-2008, 12:17 AM
If I need to "break in" a barrel I use a wood dowel with some very fine diamond paste , other wise I just shoot them and paper patched boolits might do a fine job of it also but might take a little longer .

Keith