PDA

View Full Version : First time casting with pure lead

happy7
05-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I cast up some 457 round balls today, for my Ruger Old Army I got recently. I figured I better get one while the getting was good, since Ruger discontinued them. I also cast up some conicals with the Lee ROA mold.

What I found really interesting was that the bullets came out so shiny they looked chrome plated. The ingots I was using were from sheet lead and were all purple and had gone grey, so I am pretty sure the lead is almost pure. I did not realize that pure lead was so shiny. Now to see how they shoot!

45nut
05-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Just a quick note, this is thread number 30,000 :)

runfiverun
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
purple in the lead is a good indicater of pure.

tirtytousandtreads........WOOOOHOO

DLCTEX
05-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Really bright purple is an indicator of zinc.

44man
05-17-2008, 07:19 AM
If you are going to store any of those balls, put them in a box and give them a squirt of rust preventative like Sheath. They will stay nice and shiny. If just stored they will corrode and get a dirty hard surface.

trooperdan
05-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Seems like I heard somewhere that rinsing your boolits with dish soap, leaving it on and not washing it off would keep them shiny. Anyone tried that?

Calamity Jake
05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
"What I found really interesting was that the bullets came out so shiny they looked chrome plated. The ingots I was using were from sheet lead and were all purple and had gone grey, so I am pretty sure the lead is almost pure. I did not realize that pure lead was so shiny. Now to see how they shoot"

When you cast with pure at a low temp(700 or under) it will be shinny but won't stay that way long without some kind treatment to them as suggested above.

happy7
05-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the advice on coating them. I have given them a coat of Rem Oil. That should keep them. I cast up about 500 of the balls, so they will probably last me for years.

AZ-Stew
05-18-2008, 08:53 PM
My God, Man! Don't y'all know that the Yanks will be able to see the sun glinting off those nice shiny balls when y'all reload? You're givin' away our position!

Sorry. Flashback.

Regards,

Stew