PDA

View Full Version : How Thick The Paper?

Good Cheer
06-04-2016, 09:29 PM
TC Hawken, flinter, 32" GM .62 barrel rifled by Mr. Hoyt. It's really a .61" like so many GM .62's appear to have been produced. So yeah, it's a real good round ball gun. But looking at how thick the paper wrap on the Pritchett minie is, well, it got me to wondering.
For a fun project I'm thinking about patching up some .586" diameter minies from a set of RCBS blocks that are on hand and seeing if they can be convinced to shoot straight. Triple wrapped one in copier paper to check for fit and it is an exact fit, tight enough that a good cleaning between shots would be required.
And this has me wondering, just how thick can the paper be and still get any usable accuracy?

Tatume
06-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Hi Cheer,

Three wraps can work. You're going to try it, let us know how your shooting goes.

Take care, Tom (on Ark Road (really!))

Good Cheer
06-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Found a few more of them in the stuff moved from Texas. Patching them tonight.
Three wraps of the regular ol' nine pound.

johnson1942
06-27-2016, 12:00 AM
instead of triple wrapping their is a better way to do it. roll the bullet between two clean very sharp flat files. this will knarl the diam. up quite a bit. most likely you could double dry wrap with number nine paper then or something close to it. a lot of shooters do this trick to get the diam of the bullet increased before paperpatching. i have a professional roller knarler with a hand crank on it, the large sharp clean flat files do the same thing.