PDA

View Full Version : Got new Molds, need new loads for my .45 Colt

spurrit
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Guys, got some new molds, need new loads.

One is a 255gr. Lyman SWC, the other is a Keith 255 gr..

Powders: H-110, Bullseye, and trailboss.

Don't need loads for trailboss, really, but I just figured I'd toss it in. I use 5.8 gr. of TB under a 250 gr. RNFP. Damned accurate load; it's what I use for cowboy shooting. Good for rabbits.

For the H-110, I've tried the 26.3 under a 250 gr. XTP. Saw big flames, developed a flinch, and now I'm over it.

Don't need to start a prarie fire, just want a good, serviceable load for shooting coyotes, dogs, etc.. Something Powerful than "Cowboy" loads, but comfortable enough to shoot regularly.

I figure somewhere around 1,000 FPS ought to do, without being retardedly hot. I dunno. What velocity do you guys that carry a gun for varmints, hunting, and general use use?

Murphy
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
spurrit, congratulations on the .45 Colt. I just picked one up and bought brass for mine yesterday. I have no molds for it as of yet, but have everything else that I'll need. A buddy shoots a .454 Casull and uses my setup to load on as he doesn't own a reloading outfit. He purchased .45 Colt dies to load for it so I'm set to go.

I do have the Lyman #452423 mold and will give a try at it as well. My sixshooter is a Cimarron and I have absolutely no experience in casting/reloading for one. I will be keeping a watch on your thread and may PM you to see how things are coming along. I will most likely be needing a different mold and hope to see how yours work out.

Sorry I didn't have any answer to your question, but happy to see someone is experimenting with a couple of new molds in a caliber (and loads) that I'll be interested in.

Thanks,

Murphy

45nut
05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Pick up some Unique, really. Between 8-10 grs is right where I have always found a sweet spot.

454PB
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I hope your gun is a Ruger or F.A. to be running that hot H-110 load.

Since you're looking for 1000 fps., I'd recommend you pick up some Unique and try 9 to 10 grains.

BABore
05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Just worked up a load for the same bullet in my partner's Ruger BH. 9.5 grs of Unique and CCI 300 primers. Alloy was 50/50 WW-Pb air cooled.

spurrit
05-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Guys,

Yes, I've heard of Unique, no, I'm not gonna buy any, right now. The gun is a stainless OM Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel.

targetshootr
05-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I use 8, 9, and 10 gr Universal 95% of the time, 18-19 gr 2400 the rest of the time with a few H110 loads here and there.

Calamity Jake
05-17-2008, 08:34 PM
"My sixshooter is a Cimarron and I have absolutely no experience in casting/reloading for one."

Murphy, you need to check throat diamaters, I think you will find that you will need a .454 boolet dia. I shoot CA and have 4 pairs of the Cimarron's made by Uberti, they all have
.455-.456 throats. There not any stronger than the Colt SAA so don't use loads that surpass SAA pressures in the Lyman cast bullet manual or others.
Also cast your boolets soft, I use 50/50 WW/Lead and runem about 700fps.

spurrit, you too should check throat diamaters on that OMV, if they have not been opened up then they may be small too. BAbore's unique load is a good one for the OMV but is a little warm for Murphys cimmaron.

spurrit
05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Tried out some of the 255 gr. SWC's with 20 gr. of H-110 today. It dented my steel target! I didn't get around to putting them on paper, which would be fruitless, anyway, since my handgun shooting has gone completely to ****, as my back problems have progressed.

I think I'll work up some bullseye loads, since the H-110 loads all throw so much flame out that I can't stay focused on the target, because I'm watching the flame. Kinda reminds me of the Marty Robbins song, (El Paso?) wherein he mentions something about fourteen inches of flame. I'd always thought that was B.S.!

runfiverun
05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
spurrit that is why 2400 and unique are so popular.
the bulls-eye load will get ya c-boy velocities.
call imr about the trail boss [ they'll probably tell ya you cannot put enough of it in the case to
develop too much pressure] it may get you near 1000 fps.
i know 2400, unique and titegroup will.

spurrit
05-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, I called Hodgdon today, and asked about a load like I mentioned, and the lack of CB data on their site for H-110. The rep said, more or less, "The reason we don't recommend H-110 for CB is because it tends to melt the backof the bullet."!

When I asked about loads that didn't breathe two feet of flame, he said, "There aren't any. It's truly a MAGNUM powder.".

So, I guess I'll start working on Bullseye loads. In my (limited) experience, Trail Boss kinda flakes out once I get above Cowboy loads, but I don't think I ever tried going above 7 gr., since I was loading en masse for myself and two others for Cowboy and target shooting.

Scrounger
05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
You cannot load down H110, it just won't work right. You can download somewhat with 2400, you might like Blue Dot or Herco.

spurrit
05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, but I learned something, and had fun doing it!

DanWalker
05-22-2008, 04:30 AM
I load 18.5 grains of 2400 under a 255 grain boolit. This load has taken tons of small game, and one whitetail deer in my 45's
It chrono's at 1050 fps from the 5.5" barrel of my blackhawk, and 1450 fps from the 16" barrel of my win 94 trapper carbine.
This is THE accuracy load in all the 45's I've owned or shot.
6.5 grains of red dot is a nice target load, and 9 grains of unique works good too. I shot an antelope with that load 2 years ago.

smkummer
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
6 grains Red dot or 700X if 800 FPS is all you want or need. Unique at 8.5 to 9 grains for 900 FPS. 800X will add about 50 FPS to the standard pressure loads. This may not sound like much compaired to magnum loads but for any plow handled single action it will recoil the gun 90 degrees muzzle up when fired one handed. Did you ever state what you wanted to shoot? If its targets or cans, the above loads blow cans over the berm at my range. I have been shooting my New Frontier Colt SAA 5 1/2 in. lately alot and am leaning towards cowboy loads because they are so sweet and the cans don't know the difference anyway.

spurrit
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
smkummer,

Yes, I did what the loads for, as well as the only powders I'll be using. It's pretty much my pasture load. For small game, coyotes, attacking rocks and stumps.... You know, :Fire: :-D

Possum
05-23-2008, 08:45 PM
6.5 grains of red dot is a nice target load, and 9 grains of unique works good too. I shot an antelope with that load 2 years ago.

Yes and Yes.

These work great and should go through any 4 legged critter that you are talking about. I shot the red dot last week and it is manageable and accurate.

nvbirdman
05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Spurrit, the Marty Robbins song you are thinking of was Mr. Shorty, and it was seventeen inches of flame, and using the powder they used back in the old days (black powder) you get a really good flame.:Fire:

dougader
06-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Since you don't want to buy other powders right now, you could try 7.0 grains of Bullseye with your 255 SWC's for about 850 fps from your gun. That should be about a max load for a Colt clone gun. You can work up a safe "Ruger" load from there if you want more punch, but for coyotes and rabbits I think a 255 @ 850 fps would do everything you need.

I love Blue Dot for heavier loads and 255 SWC's in a Ruger 45 Colt. Very clean burning at higher pressures and not quite the flame thrower as H110.

spurrit
06-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Doug,

I'll be sure to try it, once I can move around again. Since the surgery, I'm getting around a little with a cane, but not very fast, and I can't bend much below the chest.

Thank GOD for that little "grabber" stick. Nothing more annoying than having to hobble into the next room to get your walking stick, so you can sit down and turn a lamp on or off.

spurrit
06-07-2008, 02:08 AM
I forgot~I also found a full can of Clay's. Not Universal.