PDA

View Full Version : Old Age Shows No Mercy

Ole Joe Clarke
06-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I must be getting old. Took me seven (7) shots to knock these five (5) 12 gauge hulls off the top of the target stand today.
50 yds, and the .243. I guess I shoulda used 20 gauge hulls.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Reloading/20160603_100719-1_zpsazcqjre3.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Reloading/20160603_100719-1_zpsazcqjre3.jpg.html)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

starmac
06-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Now you are going to have to patch them hulls before you can reload them. lol
I watched an old movie last, seargent York or something like that. He did some fine shooting in it.

buckwheatpaul
06-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Joe, try: 1. The wind was blowing; 2. Someone has been using my gun; 3. the glare from the sun blinded me...etc. I for one am in the "upper middle age" but shaking is normal.....not for sissies .... but it sure is great being home.....

dtknowles
06-03-2016, 01:33 PM
You were shooting off-hand, right :-)

Ole Joe Clarke
06-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Yea, I was standing, in a fire ant bed, wind 30 mph from left to right, temp was close to 100°. How about that? [smilie=l:[smilie=l: Wrong, I couldn't lie about it.

It wuz (southern for was) hot though, and was by myself, so no witnesses, except God, and He don't care about stuff like this. :-)

Leon

OS OK
06-03-2016, 02:52 PM
You have it right Joe…these dang years are adding up fast!
Just be thankful that they weren't shooting back! I just hate laying down in an ant bed to get a better shot!

country gent
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
I have learned alot with having MS now for 14 years. I now get around with a walker outside. I have to take a "helper" to BPCR matches, ussually my Dad as he enjoys watching and going to lunch afterwards with the crew. Alot of people have good intentions and try to help but sometimes help is a problem. Had a gentleman today grab a door from behind me and push it open (sounds innocent and helpfull) I was using the door for balance and support since I couldnt have both hands on the walker. When he puhed the door open I almost went down as the support was gone. I still stay active in the shooting sports just not the same ones or same way LOL. I now shoot offhand sitting down from the waist up. With my balance issues its much safer than falling with a loaded rifle. I was a NRA High Power service rifle competitor for many years, but humping gear and myself accross ranges on foot isnt going to happen now. As to the shooting thats fine performance there. I would recomend trying .410s next time.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-03-2016, 03:29 PM
I have learned alot with having MS now for 14 years. I now get around with a walker outside. I have to take a "helper" to BPCR matches, ussually my Dad as he enjoys watching and going to lunch afterwards with the crew. Alot of people have good intentions and try to help but sometimes help is a problem. Had a gentleman today grab a door from behind me and push it open (sounds innocent and helpfull) I was using the door for balance and support since I couldnt have both hands on the walker. When he puhed the door open I almost went down as the support was gone. I still stay active in the shooting sports just not the same ones or same way LOL. I now shoot offhand sitting down from the waist up. With my balance issues its much safer than falling with a loaded rifle. I was a NRA High Power service rifle competitor for many years, but humping gear and myself accross ranges on foot isnt going to happen now. As to the shooting thats fine performance there. I would recomend trying .410s next time.

Country Gent,
You are one of the folks I receive inspiration from. When I turned 65, I started to feel the creaks in my joints and I started having health issues. In the years since then things have gotten worse, but not much. Spent my first night in a hospital last year at 71 years old, so I am truly blessed.

As for the shells, there were some 20 gage lying around but by then I was getting hotter by the minute and ready to come home. Besides, I was out of shells.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

foesgth
06-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Have you looked at ice cream containers in the market? The ones you knew as half gallon are now 1.5 quarts. Every thing is getting smaller so they don't need to raise the price. I am almost certain that is what caused the problem. The 12ga hulls are just smaller.

mold maker
06-03-2016, 05:04 PM
I sure hope they don't shrink to 22lr size. We won't have anything to shoot at or with.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Now you are going to have to patch them hulls before you can reload them. lol
I watched an old movie last, seargent York or something like that. He did some fine shooting in it.

I just recently watched the old black and white movie about Sgt. York, and they showed him shooting a Luger pistol. His diary clearly states that he shot his army issue 1911 .45 cal, along with the 03 bolt action. He was the real deal.

country gent
06-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Yes and He started from the back of the group so as not to alert the others. Im not really an insiration but the Irish makes me to dang stubborn to give up or give in. LOL

starmac
06-03-2016, 08:55 PM
I did not pay that close attention to his pistol, but in the movie it did show him taking pistols off of dead germans and sticking them in his waist belt. Now I will have to watch it again to see if he started out with a 1911 and switched to a luger. lol

Hogtamer
06-03-2016, 09:34 PM
1 load of #6 shot woulda got all 5 at once!

Hickory
06-03-2016, 09:40 PM
At least they weren't shooting back.

leadman
06-04-2016, 12:54 AM
I'm almost 65 (Nov 21) and have spates where I shake, then they stop. Had way more than my share of surgeries (32) and will probably have to have some work done on my right knee again. I can still do most things, just not as fast or as long, but I'm happy with what I have.
Been having issues with a couple of my hunting guns not grouping well so drug out the Savage 93 left hand bolt gun in 17 HMR the other day. Can still put them in way less than an inch at 100 yards with it so I am happy. Old age makes one doubt ones abilities.
Glad you were able to still hit the shells despite the "wind". LOL

10x
06-04-2016, 01:13 AM
Getting old has its challenges but getting old is much better than the alternative

OS OK
06-04-2016, 01:35 AM
I'm almost 65 (Nov 21) and have spates where I shake, then they stop. Had way more than my share of surgeries (32) and will probably have to have some work done on my right knee again. I can still do most things, just not as fast or as long, but I'm happy with what I have.
Been having issues with a couple of my hunting guns not grouping well so drug out the Savage 93 left hand bolt gun in 17 HMR the other day. Can still put them in way less than an inch at 100 yards with it so I am happy. Old age makes one doubt ones abilities.
Glad you were able to still hit the shells despite the "wind". LOL

In your next life…for goodness sakes…don't get another job as a crash dummie!…:bigsmyl2:…I jest, no offense meant.

charlie

mold maker
06-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Everyone says this life with all it's problems is better than the alternative, but can you imagine waking up pain-free with nimble fingers, fast feet, a straight back, and being at a range with unlimited free ammo and all the guns you always wanted?
I'm in no hurry, but I'm looking forward to it.

Blackwater
06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Joe, when I saw the title of your post here, I just smiled, and HAD to read it. On reading it, I had to LOL! None of us old timers are as good or as fast as we once were, but I still wouldn't want me shooting at me even now. And if you're shooting shotgun shells 5 for 7, I wouldn't want you shooting at me either! "Close enough" isn't ALWAYS only in horse shoes! I think you'd do to ride the river with!

Ole Joe Clarke
06-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

MaryB
06-04-2016, 10:59 PM
With my back and shoulder issues I no longer shoot standing. I sit and often use some form of a rest or a bipod to help steady things. We do what we have to to keep on enjoying this sport!

And I am working on a product for us disabled shooters so no help needed on the target stands. Still collecting parts for that to build a prototype.

Don Purcell
06-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Youth is definitely wasted on the young. Does anyone remember the twilight zone where the criminal gets killed by the police and when he wakes up he is with Sebastion Cabot greeting him to where he will spend eternity. He gets a fancy apartment, clothes and beautiful women around whenever he wants. Whenever he shoots a game of pool he never misses. Finally he ends up bored and stir crazy and says to Cabot that he never thought Heaven was supposed to be like this. Cabot responds with "What makes you think you are in Heaven?'

zardoz
06-09-2016, 02:53 PM
I rebuilt a section of my deck last year, that I should have done 10 years previous when I repaired the other section. I was quite astounded, than in only 10 years, the earths gravity had increased, and less oxygen was available to breathe. I know those boards were not that heavy 10 years ago.

gwpercle
06-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Youth is definitely wasted on the young. Does anyone remember the twilight zone where the criminal gets killed by the police and when he wakes up he is with Sebastion Cabot greeting him to where he will spend eternity. He gets a fancy apartment, clothes and beautiful women around whenever he wants. Whenever he shoots a game of pool he never misses. Finally he ends up bored and stir crazy and says to Cabot that he never thought Heaven was supposed to be like this. Cabot responds with "What makes you think you are in Heaven?'

That was a good one ! The old Twilight Zones were the best. Cable TV around here shows them, Those were classic's. Ever notice all the big name stars that appeared in them.
Along with the Twilight Zone series they show old TV westerns, I get to see more of them now than when they were on prime time TV back in the day !

leeggen
06-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Ole Joe it would be nice if one could see just how close he came to the missed rounds. Bet they were close enough one would not be able to out run those 243's. My problem is I just can't take the recoil like I used to. Seems with back problems it just gets worse than better, but I just don't give in until I am really down. Then a couple days off and back to the world of I have to get this work done. Worst days on the range are still better than a day working for someone else.
Keep get'n and shoot'n
CD

MaryB
06-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Shoulder and back issues are why I am selling my Mosin Nagant M91/30. Recoil is to brutal and leaves me hurting for days. I find myself using the AR-15, Savage Axis 223, and the SKS more because all have about the same recoil, next to none...