PDA

View Full Version : Bucket list...

OS OK
06-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Remember the movie with Nicholson and Freeman, until then I didn't realize that you called it by that name. I've had aspirations of things I wanted to do since I was in elementary school, either money, the lack of it or the opportunity to do something seems to always preclude our pursuit.
What was on your bucket list?
When did you start your bucket list…at what age?
How have you done in trying to fulfill the list?
How long is the list now?
You don't have to limit your post to the above questions…elaborate as you wish.
For example…Who or what inspired you to add any specific item?

I'll post mine a little later as I will have to think about it some as my list was more like a 'barrel list'…I came from the bottom of the blue collar level of society and though I had what I needed in my childhood there were not too many extras. My buddies came from a strata somewhat loftier and they had opportunity to go to summer camp every summer and summer camp became one of the first items on my childhood list, though that one was never scratched off. In my adult life there is a different story…"Whats yours?"

OS OK

MrWolf
06-03-2016, 10:12 AM
I actually helped my son with something he always wanted and thought it would be a good experience. For his 18th birthday we went skydiving. Someday I will think about what I would really want for a bucket list.

wgr
06-03-2016, 10:23 AM
I actually helped my son with something he always wanted and thought it would be a good experience. For his 18th birthday we went skydiving. Someday I will think about what I would really want for a bucket list.did the samething with my son. wish my old knees would still let me

OS OK
06-03-2016, 10:43 AM
It was hang gliding that caught my imagination in 75, watched it for hours at a place called Big Country in SoCal, later watched at Torrey Pines near San Diego. Well that entry on the bucket list didn't have time for the ink to dry before I was doing something about it!. I got bitten by that bug and by the end of summer I too was flying, although it was a bit like coasting from a high place to a field below until I learned the art of thermaling. Tightly circling in a hot bubble of air trying not to fall out until you reach cloud base. That took about a year to master, one afternoon I reached 10,800' ASL from a cliff that gave a 3.000' head start, that was out near Lake Elsinore. That weekend there were bad fires in the mountains. I watched the Boray Bombers flying to and from the fires from that elevation all afternoon…they looked like matchbook toys below.
I could go on and on about hang gliding…it was just one of my bucket list items…"Gotter done!"

starmac
06-03-2016, 11:46 AM
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes or off a cliff with a kite has never been on my want to do list. lol
I suppose the only thing I ever really wanted to do that I didn't was to go live remote in the Alaska bush, too old and lazy to do that now. lol

OS OK
06-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Remember your childhood starmac …were you not influenced by your friends or surroundings, something that you wanted to do but couldn't for some reason?
In my mind, that is where my bucket list really started.
Remember 'Sea Hunt' with Lloyd Bridges…I swore to the Angels above that I would do that when I grew up!…"Gotter done!"

Later, before I married, my girlfriend now my wife said the same thing about diving. I ask if she really meant it? She said, "Yes, of course, ever since I was a kid!"
I called my divemaster and set it all up for her…now…"She too, Gotter done!"

C.F.Plinker
06-03-2016, 02:52 PM
I got to talking with one of the guys at the range last week. He had going to Camp Perry on his bucket list so he went back there the year he hit 70. He said he had so much fun at the matches he went back when he hit 75. Now that he is 80 he is going back again.

dtknowles
06-03-2016, 03:03 PM
A space station in orbit around Earth, a permanent colony on the moon and a Human walking on Mars. Wish I could be an Astronaut and do all three. I only got to help with the Space Station but I might get to help with the others, I might be making parts for the next U.S. manned space flight we will have to see.

starmac
06-03-2016, 03:31 PM
At one time I did have the desire to be a pilot, but only on my own plane. I did make the deal to buy one years ago, but the wife didn't like the idea, unless I took formal lessons, which I didn't want to do, so I guess the desire wasn't too bad.

bubba.50
06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
just once before i die i would like to actually vote for a presidential candidate instead of always havin' to vote against the greater of two or more evils.

3006guns
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
A small place, by itself, in the wilds of Nevada. No neighbors, a good backstop and no politicians to screw things up............

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I've never thought of a bucket list, being middle aged, I just want to live peaceably as possible in my small town, til I pass.

BUT, I believe I completed one item of my Dad's bucket list(who is still alive, 88 yrs old, WWII vet). When I was a little kid, my Dad (who was a post master), sent my name on mailing lists for Alaska travel type of things...there were many. So I got lots of Mail, showing the beauty of Alaska (funny thing, my Brother was never involved in that). My Dad often talked about Alaska and my Great Uncle.

In 1917, my Dad's father's brother (18 years old at the time)went to Montana, after about a year, he came back to MN, told his folks to store his saddle til he came back for it...because he was headed to Alaska for Gold. He never struck it rich and he never came back to MN. After many years there, he got married (in 1934), her name was Olinga and she was part of Yupik tribe (the Yupiks were nomadic til the mid 1960s). So he became part of the tribe, they had 6 children. At a fairly young age, my Great uncle got sick and died (1945). A few years later, Olinga remarried and had six more children. So I have lots of native relatives (and some almost relatives) in Alaska. My Dad always talked about going there, but never has. Of course I wanted to go there, but my Mom never wanted to go, probably my Dad's main stumbling block. His dream was to drive there.

As an adult, I still wanted to go there, but as a young adult with a job, I never had enough vacation for a driving to Alaska vacation...and still spend time with relatives. Also I never really had enough money for a Fly to Alaska trip, so I thought.

For some reason, around 1995 ( I would have been 30 yr old), I started writting letters to a couple of my 'almost' relatives in Alaska. One wrote back, and we wrote each other a few more times. I was invited to stay with this family in Aniak, AK. They said they'd provide everything, all I had to do was get there. He (Bill) was a retired Chief of the Yupik tribe, She (Clara) was a lifelong Nurse, and had a clinic named after her. Also, My great Aunt Olinga lived nearby, she was in her 90s, and volunteering by taking care of a Priest's (Russian Orthodox) house and boat. There are no roads leaving (or coming to) Aniak, just a couple Rivers.

So, I planned a trip to stay with my Cousins. I couldn't talk my Dad into going, via a airplane, he was deadset on driving there, or he wasn't going. He didn't want to stay with relatives, he wanted to drive and stay in a RV...a trip that'd take 4 or 5 weeks or MORE?. Strange thing is, many of the relatives live where there are no roads in or out, so unless they traveled to Anchorage(where a couple cousins live), he wouldn't see them. So, as hard as it was, I went without him. It was Sept 1997, the beginning of the rainy season in Aniak, there was a Silver salmon derby, I brought my fishing gear. I spent 10 days in Aniak, fishing and spending time with my Cousin's and their childrens' families who lived in that village.

The trip was filled with many different things:

-A native Rendezvous of sorts, they called it a State Fair, but it was much more like the Rendezvous' I've attended,There was agutuk (Fish Ice Cream) which I tried and really liked it, but it's not for everyone. I bought a Marten fur hat there as well, I've never seen anything like it before, or since. I also bought a scrimshaw Bolo tie (made of walrus tusk)...and a set of Ivory Ulu earrings (for my girlfriend at the time).

-One wild and crazy boat trip up the Aniak River with Bills' son and namesake (but he liked to go by the name Guyguy) to uncle Crazy's cabin (which we never found). We camped overnight on an island(rock bar) in the middle of the river, because the brown bears are less likely to come for a visit, Guyguy said. We built a campfire and I, for one, never slept. Guyguy slept just fine.

-A visitation/traditional Russian Orthodox "native" funeral in a neighboring village (Chuathbaluk) in the deceased's Home.

-One Morning...after many mornings that I had breakfast with my Cousin Bill (he would only eat dried salmon and crackers for breakfast...his wife would make a breakfast fit for a King for the others in the house, as well as myself), I asked him, why he didn't want the breakfast that his wife cooked? He said there is nothing better than Salmon, and then told me this story, about one trip he took years ago(as Chief) with a few members of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, following the duck migration from the Aniak Area to California. Mostly, They would eat at restaurants along the way, but Cousin Bill said he wouldn't eat that food and only ate the dried salmon and sailor boy crackers he brought with. The Feds thought he was crazy. There was more to the story, but sadly I don't recall much more of it.

-A salmon BBQ and birthday party, for one of my youngest AK cousins, I think she was 8. She wasn't really happy, as this party seemed more like a party for my visit there, and less like her Birthday...I felt bad about that. By the way, now is a good time to mention that No relatives from the lower 48 have visited Aniak since my Uncle went in 1972, so this visit from a Big White Minnesota Swede, seemed like a big thing for them. I hope I didn't let them down.

-On the second to the last day, my Great Aunt Olinga came via bush plane from a neighboring town for a visit, she could speak very little english, but My cousin translated some. I got to have a long chat with her, she told me about my Great Uncle, how they met, and about living Nomadic.

It was a trip of a lifetime...One I could easily classify it as a "Supreme" item of a bucket list.

OS OK
06-03-2016, 04:01 PM
At one time I did have the desire to be a pilot, but only on my own plane. I did make the deal to buy one years ago, but the wife didn't like the idea, unless I took formal lessons, which I didn't want to do, so I guess the desire wasn't too bad.

About 8 years ago my wife said that she was going to really surprise me with her present to me that year. We always try to dote on each other at Christmas that way. Anyway she gave me a paid course to get my helicopter pilots license. When she saw that I was showing some consternation over receiving the card and paperwork, she ask, "What's wrong, I thought you'd jump for joy!"
I replied that I'd rather jump out of a perfectly functional airplane than to fly a chopper! She knew how I felt about parachuting…"something you do to save your life, only that and not for fun."
Needless to say…she got a refund!

AggieEE
06-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm with Bubba.50, I want to see politicians that are actually competent. I think I'm going to live forever ;-).

mold maker
06-03-2016, 04:47 PM
As life starts to pass you by at an ever increasing pace, your bucket list increases. After I retired I began to mark off things as no longer important or successfully completed. To tell you the truth, many things that once seemed paramount no longer held any interest.
The problem is, I found many more things to take their place. (Thanks, CB)
At my age, the list is impossibly long and growing daily.
Who knew there were so many new things to do.
Not to complain, though, I have lived a very satisfying life and am now surrounded by family and friends. I have most of the things important, and enough lead to shoot for the remainder. Been married to a great gal for 53 years and have seven Children and Grandchildren within handshaking distance. I have successfully prospected, cut gemstones, found emeralds, hunted deer, rafted the Colorado river, camped with boy scouts, spent almost 40 years on a job I loved, and built my own rifles.
I think that come Fall, I'll just use the paper from the bucket list to light the first fire of the season.

Don Fischer
06-03-2016, 04:51 PM
I would love to go to Africa. Not any town's, out in the bush!

jcwit
06-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes or off a cliff with a kite has never been on my want to do list. lol
I suppose the only thing I ever really wanted to do that I didn't was to go live remote in the Alaska bush, too old and lazy to do that now. lol

That also was my dream for many, many years.

I too am now in the same boat as you!

I'm guessing it all started listening to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon back in the latter 40's.

Ah Well, I'm still happy.

Grits
06-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Just one item. See my youngest grandson grow into a man. He's five yo now.

Taylor
06-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Alaska? The wife has a cousin up there somewhere,we've been invited,but have never made it.I changed birds there one time,on my way to Korea.I would like to see it some day.

I think too, I would like to move back home to the mountains.The thought of dying while living on corner lot of a subdivision,well...there's something about that,that doesn't set well with me.

starmac
06-03-2016, 08:17 PM
My biggest lifelong dream was to come to Alaska, but not just for a vacation of a week or three. I didn't come the first time till all but my youngest son had grown up and left home, so it was late in life. Marking that off the bucket list, which I really never had, is enough for me.
My one biggest regret was turning around in washington and heading back to Texas, 20 some odd years before, when It became apparent my wife was pregnant with our first.

Ford SD
06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Bucket list
I have one for cars-- I always Wanted
67-68-69 Mustang Fastback
any year AC Cobra
A win in the lottery is the only way

OS OK
06-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Another item on the bucket list was a Harley Davidson. I've ridden bikes since 64 when I saved and bought a Cushman Silver Eagle. Since I've had several rice burners, some nice, some dogs but I would never let myself indulge in a Harley since I just couldn't justify spending that money with a wife and kids to raise.
In 2008 long after our kids were grown and gone the wife drives me to somewhere that she said I could pick my own Christmas present that year.
Low and behold she pulls up into the parking lot of a Harley dealer. I was 58 by then and all but forgotten about that.
Well…she checked that one off the list!

I think I'm going to keep her another 38 years.

bubba.50
06-04-2016, 01:04 AM
born a hillbilly, been a hillbilly all my life & I reckon to die a hillbilly but, when i was younger i used to want to be a real live mountain man in the Rockies somewhere. too old & decrepit for that now so guess I'll just stay here in our mountains.

another thing I always wanted to do was visit another planet. but bein' claustrophobic, I would have had to find a worm-hole or space time portal or some such 'cause I never would make it cooped up in a spaceship

OS OK
06-04-2016, 01:16 AM
born a hillbilly, been a hillbilly all my life & I reckon to die a hillbilly but, when i was younger i used to want to be a real live mountain man in the Rockies somewhere. too old & decrepit for that now so guess I'll just stay here in our mountains.

another thing I always wanted to do was visit another planet. but bein' claustrophobic, I would have had to find a worm-hole or space time portal or some such 'cause I never would make it cooped up in a spaceship

Bubba you could learn how to 'Remote View' and still go visit another planet and forget about climbing into a 'bottle rocket!'

MediumCore358
06-04-2016, 01:26 AM
I'd like to find myself a real good woman...the last one seemed like the one but turned out to be a nightmare. Go 200 mph just once, I'd like to be the driver but would be passenger if the driver was highly skilled otherwise 85mph is my max anymore I gotta slow down in some ways lol. Move out of NY!

bubba.50
06-04-2016, 02:01 AM
Bubba you could learn how to 'Remote View' and still go visit another planet and forget about climbing into a 'bottle rocket!'

I think I did a little "remote viewing" back in the 60's :bigsmyl2:.

OS OK
06-04-2016, 02:09 AM
I think I did a little "remote viewing" back in the 60's :bigsmyl2:.

Don't feel like you are the Lone Ranger on that one!

facetious
06-04-2016, 04:33 AM
I would like to take what I call the grand tour. In the spring 79 I quit a job I hated and told my dad I was going camping and never made it back home.For three months I went all over the Rocky's and out to the west coast. In a way it was one of those trips you took to "find your self". It had to be one of the best things I ever did. I had a 78 f-250 and a topper on it and my goals was to try and not sleep in the same place twice in a row. I got to see things I would never seen and met a lot of different people. I guess I found my self working at a newspaper, I took a job in the press room and have been doing it for 37 years now and hope to retire in three years .

I would like to try and retrace that trip. And I would like to go and revisit all the places I have been. I have the bike I had as a kid and would like to fix it up and take it back to Minn. where I grew up and ride it around the neighborhood I lived as kid.

At work I said when I retire was going to come down to the press room and drink beer till thy kicked me out.:drinks:

I still have my '78 f-250 and the topper, it would be a real kick in the pooper if I could restore it and use it for the trip. For now I'm just glad I can still keep it running.

The last thing my dad said to me as I was leaving was that every one should have a least one good adventure in there life and if you are lucky you will have two. He said a adventure is a trip were you don't know where you are going or what you are going to do when you get there but you will know when you get there.

I hope in three years to be one lucky SOB!

elk hunter
06-04-2016, 10:45 AM
I would love to go to Africa. Not any town's, out in the bush!

We're working class people and never made big money but the wife and I dreamed for years about going to Africa to hunt. By being very thrifty and saving we were able go for three weeks last year and loved it.

All I can say is go, go a soon as you can, as soon as you leave there you will want to go back.

I'm trying to find the right moose hunt for the wife after that if things go half way right we'll go back to Africa.

We told our kids we're spending their inheritance.

snowwolfe
06-04-2016, 04:16 PM
No bucket list for me. Last thing I had a serious urge to do was to shoot a bison with a lever action rifle. So I saved my pennies, booked the hunt, and bought a 1895 Winchester in .405.
Before that it was to hunt the Koyukuk for moose with my son. So I bought a river boat and we went hunting. Both shot nice moose plus he got a black bear as well.

My opinion is to get off my *** and just do it cause life will pass you by if you don't.

NavyVet1959
06-04-2016, 04:26 PM
I don't want to die until I've had a chance to piss on the graves of all my enemies / people I hate.

O'Bozo... Klinton(s)... Ann Richards... LBJ... Teddy Kennedy... JFK... Lincoln... FDR... Marx... Mao... Lenin... Stalin... Castro... Dianne Feinstein... the local HOA board...

Oh... The list goes on and on... I'm a curmudgeon -- I hate EVERYONE...

I'm feeling dehydrated just thinking about it...

mozeppa
06-04-2016, 05:16 PM
I don't want to die until I've had a chance to piss on the graves of all my enemies / people I hate.

O'Bozo... Klinton(s)... Ann Richards... LBJ... Teddy Kennedy... JFK... Lincoln... FDR... Marx... Mao... Lenin... Stalin... Castro... Dianne Feinstein... the local HOA board...

Oh... The list goes on and on... I'm a curmudgeon -- I hate EVERYONE...

I'm feeling dehydrated just thinking about it...

but at least you hate everyone equally!
you don't play favorites that way!

dragon813gt
06-04-2016, 05:21 PM

LOL, there are a few family members that I have to out live. I won't shed a tear when they pass and I will be doing the same to their graves.

bstone5
06-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I wanted to out live one of my ex-bosses who got me laid off so I would not eventually get his job. He died of a stroke two years back while driving a truck hauling a horse. He pulled over along side of the road while having the stroke, no one was hurt except him. It was a small silly thing on my part but it did finally happened after 8 years.

Every day at my age is a gift and I try to stay busy each day doing something in my shop or office. Still cast and try to shoot each week but lately it has rained so much in Houston I have not shot in 4 weeks. It will be a while so all of the insects die, do not need to feed the bugs at the range, the range has had a lot of rain in the last month.

NavyVet1959
06-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Every day at my age is a gift and I try to stay busy each day doing something in my shop or office. Still cast and try to shoot each week but lately it has rained so much in Houston I have not shot in 4 weeks. It will be a while so all of the insects die, do not need to feed the bugs at the range, the range has had a lot of rain in the last month.

At least your range is still above water. Where I used to shoot is probably 20 ft underwater right now.

richhodg66
06-04-2016, 11:13 PM
I made a list up of all the stupid stuff I don't want to do in my life. It's like a Bucket List, only spelled slightly different:D

AZ-JIM
06-05-2016, 02:02 AM
I think about a bucket list occasionally. Mine isn't too extensive, I've been over 160 mph (on 2 wheels no less) wasn't a BL item at the time but I had to see how fast it would go and what it would be like. Besides, 15,000 rpm in 6th gear sounds pretty cool. I've had a few reasonably fast cars, big block Nova on nitrous was fun.
These days it's more about the outdoors. I had a back injury 6 years ago next month. Scared me pretty good, was afraid I might not be able to work anymore. Suddenly all I wanted to do is be able to be in the woods.
I want to learn to fly fish
I want to actually catch a fish :wink:
I want to shoot a nice cinnamon colored black bear
I want to spend a month in Yellowstone
I want to see the Northern lights

az-jim

mold maker
06-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Attention all young folks reading the overdue wishes of us older folks. Take life by the horns and do what you desire while you're still fit enough to enjoy it.

Do not put it on a silly bucket list, and wait for the opportunity to fall in your lap.
Make it happen soon, or you'll wake up one morning and realize you have missed out while letting life make your choices.
At that point, all you'll have left are the memories which fade, and the wishes you didn't experience. I'm not bitter about anything I wanted and never did, but there are holes that will never be filled. Memories not made and experiences missed.
My bucket list Is to get you to realize that any opportunity missed is a chance gone forever.

MrWolf
06-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Good point mold maker. I am 56 and my back is shot, can't do to much anymore. Just heard last night that a young father we know (45) has stage 4 colon cancer. We also knew another young father (46) who died suddenly of a heart attack from a genetic issue with no warnings. You never know when your number is up. Learn to enjoy the simple things too.

jonp
06-05-2016, 10:05 AM
I always thought of it as doing something you always wanted to do like in a "wish list" but bucket list is a nice short hand term for it. I've been lucky enough to do a number of what I had on mine. Safari in Africa and climbing Kilimanjaro, scuba diving the Caribbean, climbing to the top of Pyramids in Belize, whitewater rafting The Grand Canyon, seeing the Pyramids in Egypt, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, hang gliding, climbing Katahdin and being the first person in North America to see the sun rise (I was also on top of Kili and was one of 2 to be the first to see the sun rise in Africa) etc but like most there are still several things I have not got to yet.

Goatwhiskers
06-05-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm old, cranky, got a bad back, and can't walk worth a hoot, but the Lord granted me the main item on the list: to live to see what my children become. The boy has a good job, nice home, and gave us a grandson back in November. Daughter is a pediatric nurse-practitioner and is happy. The rest of the list I'd have to think about. GW

Blackwater
06-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Bucket list? I used to have one and it was chock full with all sorts of things. Nowadays, though, I'm pretty well resigned to let God work that out for me, and present me with whatever He knows I need. Since I adopted or wound up kind'a pushed into that view, I think things have generally gone a lot better, and my life's richer for it. But I do still want to see both my grandsons graduate high school, and would really consider it a great gift to see them graduate college, or start their own businesses, or just get well set up for the life ahead of them. Seeing them married would be a great boon as well.

Other than that, things I've wanted that I now realize I'm not fit to do any more are:

1. Living in remote Alaska near a nice lake (love of home and friends and marrying early always kept me local);
2. Flying my own plane;
3. Being able to play guitar well (I'm a great roadie, but a poor player);
4. Knowing my Bible better (I've always read for content, but can cite few chapters and verses).

The list could go on ad infinitum, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately and have been long term wistful wishes I've had.

NavyVet1959
06-06-2016, 02:32 AM
If you live your younger days kind of full, you'll find that in your older days, you have less adrenaline inducing things to put on your bucket list, but you'll also find that your body hurts so much that you wouldn't want to do them anyway. :(

"Youth is wasted on the young"

Blackwater
06-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Amen, Vet. [smilie=l:

fecmech
06-06-2016, 10:44 AM
As a young boy I read "God is My Co-Pilot" by Col. Robert Scott. It was his story about him joining up with the Flying Tigers and fighting the Japanese in WWII and flying P-40's. My Dad worked at Curtiss-Wright in Buffalo making P-40's before being drafted so that was another hook into aviation. I loved everything about those old fighters. A few years back my wife decided to get me a ride in a glider for my birthday and while looking into that I came across the fact that the P-51 from the Red Tails was going to be at Geneseo for the air show. I had always wanted to ride in a P-40 or P-51 so I signed up and took a half hour ride in the P-51. It was expensive but money well spent! I have been truly blessed in this life. Aside from family my other loves are aviation and shooting. I've been able to make a living working on aircraft and that has enabled me to afford shooting. It doesn't get much better than that!

OS OK
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I had that same opportunity years back when this tri-motor Ford came to Auburn airport. The wife surprised me with a ticket to take a ride. When I boarded I was really surprised to find out that she bought the co-pilots seat and I was allowed to fly her once we were up and out over the American River. Soooo slow, it felt like I was in my hang glider with a small motor on it. This was a passenger liner and flew, if I remember correctly about 65 MPH…it felt like we were just floating along, you could feel every thermal tipping one wing or the other as we flew through them.

Whatta trip, will never forget that one…I stepped back in time to my fathers youth.

OS OK
EAA Ford Tri-Motor at Lincoln Calif LHM Airport (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFr-k9rTrJk)

scarry scarney
06-06-2016, 03:13 PM
No bucket list for me. Over 15 years ago or so, I was diagnosed stage III cancer. Daughter (15) was scared I would die. I told her, I'm not ready. Told her that I would walk her down the aisle and give her away in marriage. I beat that cancer. A few years later, diagnosed stage IV cancer (different one this time). Beat that cancer. Two years ago, I walked her down the aisle, that was my bucket list.

I try to live my life without regrets. Yes, there are things that I can't do (time, finances, distances, health, etc), so I live within my means, save for tomorrow so tomorrow will be a better day. I know that the end will come someday, but I don't want to meet St. Peter and regret that I didn't cross something off a silly bucket list.

popper
06-06-2016, 07:42 PM
As Jim do learn to fly fish and catch one. My bucket has a hole in it. I did have an uncle who left after school, raced pikes peak on his way to Ca. In his old ford, to enlist in army. Then he got sent to Ak islands with the Engineers. Brought back a couple 105 cases I inherited.

Detroitdanm
06-10-2016, 05:32 AM
I had that same opportunity years back when this tri-motor Ford came to Auburn airport. The wife surprised me with a ticket to take a ride. When I boarded I was really surprised to find out that she bought the co-pilots seat and I was allowed to fly her once we were up and out over the American River. Soooo slow, it felt like I was in my hang glider with a small motor on it. This was a passenger liner and flew, if I remember correctly about 65 MPH…it felt like we were just floating along, you could feel every thermal tipping one wing or the other as we flew through them.

Whatta trip, will never forget that one…I stepped back in time to my fathers youth.

OS OK
EAA Ford Tri-Motor at Lincoln Calif LHM Airport (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFr-k9rTrJk)

Back when I was in the Boy Scouts here in Ohio, we took a trip to Put-In Bay up in Lake Erie. Which would have back in August of 1972. At the time there were regular several times a day flights from Port Clinton to Put-In Bay on several Ford Tri-Motors. I too was lucky enough to ride in the co-pilots seat on the ride over as the plane was full, but despite my most intense wishing I didn't get to take the controls. What I remember most was how incredibly slow the plane took off and flew. The windows were open in the cockpit and I could look out as we flew just over the water and boats below. Very, very cool! I'm not a fan of flying, but your story inspired me, and if I can I'd love to take another ride some day.

NOTE: One reason I remember so well just when that flight was when I generally can't remember dates worth a darn, is because one of the planes crashed a week after my flight and it caused a huge stir because most folks didn't realize there were still old birds like that in daily service. I found a copy of the report, says the plane was repaired and flew again.

http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19720821-0

OS OK
06-10-2016, 08:52 AM
I know…that sliding window next to your shoulder just slew me…this wind is going to blow me out of here. This I thought before taking off, I had it open waving to the wife for her camera.
When the pilot allowed me to fly, it wasn't that I could do anything but hold the yoke and steering wheel and keep her straight and level, I didn't get to…say, turn and follow the American river.
I do remember looking at the control yoke assembly and thought how crude it was…I could build one exactly like it in my shop…wow…what about the air frame, I thought…this is old! Low tech!

But I loved the experience…only memories of my hang gliding days can come to this level.

Oh yea, about the crash…as slow as these planes were, you would expect a crash to happen in 'slow motion'!

Blackwater
06-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Scarney, what a wondeerful story! Thanks. Courage and faith in action will always be inspirational. I'm sure it hit your daughter hard as well.

OS OK
06-10-2016, 10:48 AM
I don't understand all this animosity over a bucket list…
'Bucket list' is just another word substituted for 'aspirations' to do something special in your life.
Some of you fellas act like thats wrong or a weakness of some kind…could be that some of you were never able to make your dreams come true so you have taken a negative attitude towards the whole idea of it.

I can't do that..so…"screw it!"…I'll just 'rain' on everyone else's parade!

TXGunNut
06-11-2016, 01:00 AM
My bucket list? Northern lights, maybe. They have some lights in W Texas called the Marfa lights. They're on my list. I also want to bag a deer or hog with every "hunting rifle" in my collection. I can only eat one or two big critters a year so I hope to live long enough to pull it off.
Next up on my bucket list is to shoot the steel buffalo at Whittington Center next month with a Sharps rifle using a lead boolit propelled by Holy Black. I've done it with a 30-06, it's not the same.
Other than that I'm living the dream; shooting and collecting a few old rifles and trying to understand the era they represent.