PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angel dies in crash today

leeggen
06-02-2016, 09:58 PM
The #6 Blue Angel crashed today in Smyrna Tn. Practicing for this weekends airshow. Captain Kuss died when his jet crashed 1 mile after leaving the runway. Not alot of details yet just too soon to know the cause. Crashed at the end of an area where cotton was grown. A few yards from the Davis House and just behind an apartment complex. No others involved just his plane and himself. Very sad day for alot of people and for responders.
CD

starmac
06-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Bad day, one of the thunderbirds also crashed. 3 soldiers dead and 6 missing at fT Hood. Very trajic day all around.

Pumpkinheaver
06-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Prayers for all!

MrWolf
06-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Very sad. Prayers for them and their families.

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Another brave pilot that road his plain into the ground rather than eject and HOPE the aircraft missed the homes in the area.

Truly a hero all should be proud of.

Artful
06-04-2016, 04:19 AM
R.I.P. you thrilled thousands and saved the lives of countless with your bravery.

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Also keep in mind the folks that worked on that aircraft just might face major charges and be held in confinement till it is determined what caused the crash.

Then there are the poor souls that have to crawl into that nasty cockpit and remove all of the blood etc from the instruments.

Believe me that is not a job you would wish on your worst enemy.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-04-2016, 01:11 PM
After a mile at that speed, it is unlikely that he had much choice what to do. It sounds very much like an engine flame-out or control failure, both of which are rare nowadays. It does bring home that high-performance military flying, even with the best of pilots and technicians, imposes a far higher casualty rate than commercial aviation can afford to accept.

catmandu
06-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Exactly Bill! You nailed it.
I remember Navy/Marine pilots getting angry after watching some of the Airshow plane crashes that hit the crowd. Usually some comment about "The Great Santini" - how the movie ended. (If you haven't seen the movie I would suggest you watch it, it's about a warrior/ without a war)

I remember loosing one on the back side of the base doing Touch and Go drills practicing for Cat Quals. Off and On duty sections lined up fingertip to fingertip and policed the area. Anything that didn't grow went into a bag. It all went back to the hanger to be assembled as best it could for the FAA investigation. My neighbor was NCO in the Seat Shop, he signed off on the Ejection Seat and was stressed till the FAA cleared him.

The whole Squadron/Base took it hard and were very professional when speaking of the incident or to family and friends of the crew. It really is the loss of family.

Another thread asked about the Definition of "Honor" I know that this pilot knew what it meant and how to live it. I would be proud to know him or his family. They deserve our honor and respect.

Semper Fi Captain Kuss

Paul in WNY

Another brave pilot that road his plain into the ground rather than eject and HOPE the aircraft missed the homes in the area.

Truly a hero all should be proud of.

leeggen
06-04-2016, 10:36 PM
One of our local TV news reporters road second seat with him in 2014 when he was here. He talked about the only thing he ever wanted to do was fly the fastest and strongest of planes and to fly in the Blue Angels. She asked questions and never interuppted him.
Today they moved his body from Murfreesboro to the flight plane taking him home, it rain during the whole trip to the strip. Some of the prop planes flew the missing man in his honor. Yesterday evening they flew the rest of the B.A. planes back to Fl. base.
CD