PDA

View Full Version : Primer Storage?

Lee
05-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Just looking for some general opinions on primer storage.
I'm wondering if I used the SO's "seal a meal" and vacuum packed bulk packages of primers. Would there be any benefit?? Or just a waste of a good vacuum???...............................Lee;-)

Wicky
05-16-2008, 05:00 AM
Waste of a good vacuum - keep them in a cool dry place and they last forever. Was cleaning up a few weeks ago and found a box of 1000 federal 210's before the went to those stupid big packets and tried out 100 no problems.

runfiverun
05-16-2008, 10:40 AM
i keep mine in a cupboard hung up
if you can ruin them in that then you got other problems and they will be of little concern.

Boerrancher
05-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I store mine in Ammo cans and then put the Ammo cans in my fire proof safe. I am looking for an older refrigerator that I can lock the door on and put a light bulb in. That way I can keep my primers and bulk powder in the shed out side away form the house and any chance of a fire.

bullshot
05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
20mm ammo cans.

Old Ironsights
05-16-2008, 05:40 PM
.35mm Film canisters (lot # & brand on the lid). Each holds 500 Small (rifle or pistol). Those go in a fireproof container. Takes up much less space.

Junior1942
05-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I store mine in Ammo cans and then put the Ammo cans in my fire proof safe. I am looking for an older refrigerator that I can lock the door on and put a light bulb in. That way I can keep my primers and bulk powder in the shed out side away form the house and any chance of a fire.You will ruin your primers and powder after only one summer. Get a used frost-free refrigerator that works and store your primers and powder in it. They'll stay at a constant low temp and low humidity.

floodgate
05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Ironsights:

I gotta disagree; 500 loose primers packed together without the divider boxes they are shipped in constitute a hand grenade waiting to go off! Hatcher (IIRC) describes a Frankfort Arsenal employee - in defiance of the rules - toting a bucket of loose primers, which he dropped. They didn't find enough of him to give a decent burial. Puhleeze, leave them in their original packets!

floodgate

Boerrancher
05-16-2008, 09:16 PM
500 loose primers packed together without the divider boxes they are shipped in constitute a hand grenade waiting to go off! Hatcher (IIRC) describes a Frankfort Arsenal employee - in defiance of the rules - toting a bucket of loose primers, which he dropped. They didn't find enough of him to give a decent burial. Puhleeze, leave them in their original packets!

floodgate

Aw come on. Next you're gonna tell me I shouldn't be smoking while I am loadin' triple F in my 45 LC catridges. [smilie=1:

Boerrancher
05-16-2008, 09:25 PM
You will ruin your primers and powder after only one summer. Get a used frost-free refrigerator that works and store your primers and powder in it. They'll stay at a constant low temp and low humidity.

Thanks for the tip. I think I will just continue to use my current method. I don't want to use a running refrigerator as where I live the power is unstable at best. We loose power quite often and I don't want powder and primers sitting some place where if the power goes out they can draw moisture.

Best Wishes

Bret4207
05-17-2008, 06:39 AM
You will ruin your primers and powder after only one summer. Get a used frost-free refrigerator that works and store your primers and powder in it. They'll stay at a constant low temp and low humidity.

I've been storing my primers in ammo cans for decades with no problems. Still have primers from the late 70's in good shape. I use a dead freezer for mould storage. No problems there either and no light bulb yet, although that was my idea also to keep the moisture down.

MtGun44
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
If you are dumping 500 primers from their trays into 35 mm film cans, you
are indeed makine hand grenades. If one goes, all 500 will go when stored
this way.

Very scary.

Bill