PDA

View Full Version : Sorting lead today

Chris C
06-02-2016, 04:34 PM
I've a question. While I was sorting lead today, getting all the pure lead stick-ons separated from the WW, There were some of the WW that I'm not quite sure about. It cut with my cutters, but not easily. It was really shiny where I cut it.............but I'm wondering if it's really aluminum! If I've got aluminum in my smelting pot, will it float out of the mix like the steel clips will, or am I risking messing up my ingots?

Edit:

Just looked it up (DUH!) and aluminum melts at 1220 degrees F, so it ought to float out, right?

Yodogsandman
06-02-2016, 04:45 PM
If they're aluminum, they'll float. When smelting, don't let your melted lead get above about 700*F. Some 1/4" thick x about 3/8" square stick on wheel weights that are painted grey or black have an alloy about like clip on wheel weights. See BNE's sticky "Stick On WW XrF Data" at the top part of the "Lead and Lead Alloy" section for photos and descriptions.

Chris C
06-02-2016, 05:06 PM
See BNE's sticky "Stick On WW XrF Data" at the top part of the "Lead and Lead Alloy" section for photos and descriptions.

Thanks, I've read through it a couple of times.

Mitch
06-02-2016, 06:40 PM
I agree some of the painted soww are harder and I am not sure what is in them to make them hard.i do not find many of them so I just [itch them..they are not worth messing up a batck of good soww.the soww I get check about 5 on my lbt hardness tester.I am not sure that the gray painted one check at still not worth the bother.

bangerjim
06-02-2016, 06:58 PM
WW's are used to get a larger amount of weight in a smaller area to balance the wheel/rim. Hence they use Pb, Fe, Zn materials. Aluminum is a VERY lightweight metal and why in the wide world of sports would they use it for concentrated weight in a small area like Pb does?????????

I have never seen Al weights! It would take a HUGE size Al weight to equal the weight of a standard Pb alloy weight. But anything can be expected with all this loony liberal left-wing greenie environmental carp around today.

Chris C
06-02-2016, 07:14 PM
They are painted gray, bangerjim, but they cut hard...............but they do cut, and are shiney like Pb. Just wondering if I should sort them out or melt'em with the rest of the clip-on wheel weights.

turtlezx
06-02-2016, 07:32 PM
more likely zinc never heard of al ones

Walter Laich
06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
wouldn't hurt to do that. I have a tendency to melt everything that will melt, skim off the **** and pour ingots with what's left.
Remember my main goal in life is shooting cowboy so I'm not looking for MOA here.

Chris C
06-02-2016, 07:39 PM
more likely zinc never heard of al ones

They are marked AL...............which is why I'm concerned.

mold maker
06-02-2016, 07:54 PM
They are marked AL to indicate they are safe for the newer aluminum wheels. They are epoxy coated to retard oxidation and thus staining the aluminum wheels.
All I have seen were regular lead COWWs.
So far the only bad stuff was zinc and iron marked Z and Fe, if at all.

whisler
06-02-2016, 07:56 PM
They are for aluminum wheels, thus the Al.

Chris C
06-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Okay, thanks, guys. I won't worry about them then.

w5pv
06-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Keep your melt temp around 675 to a little over 700 degrees and skim every thing that floats you will be fine.If there is any thing that looks like oatmeal,I skim it off and use it in my sinkers for fishing.What is left works fine for bullets.

blackthorn
06-03-2016, 11:47 AM
I keep a small bottle of Muriatic acid handy. If I find a weight that is questionable, a drop of the acid on the cut quickly tells me if it is Zinc. The Zinc will foam/bubble from the application of the acid but lead will not. You can get the acid from your local hardware or pool supply store.