PDA

View Full Version : CCW holder takes on rifleman in Houston TX killing and is wounded

Artful
06-02-2016, 03:12 PM
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/05/31/concealed-carrying-hero-battled-mass-shooter-houston-media-silent/

Concealed Carrying Hero Battled Mass Shooter In Houston: Media SilentPosted at 5:24 pm on May 31, 2016 by Bob Owens

http://cdn.bearingarms.com/uploads/2016/05/Byron-Wilson-e1464728909149.jpg

Concealed carry permit holder Byron Wilson drew his handgun and engaged a mass shooter in Texas on Sunday, possibly saving lives at great risk to his own.

An Army veteran* of multiple tours in Afghanistan opened fire in Houston on Sunday, killing two people wounding and wounding six more before being killed by responding SWAT officers.

What many news outlets seem to be glossing over in their reporting of attack is that the veteran’s attack, carried out with an AR-15 variant, showed that the weapon was anything but “high-powered.” Six of the eight people shot with the most common rifle sold in the United States survived the attack.

One of those survivors, Byron Wilson, was a concealed carrier who drew his handgun and engaged the rifle armed shooter before being shot three time (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3617029/Army-veteran-25-suffering-PTSD-identified-shooter-Houston-gun-rampage-left-two-dead-six-wounded.html)s.

Pictures from the scene also show police patrol cars riddled with bullet holes.

He killed 56-year-old Eugene Linscomb and critically injured father Byron Wilson, who police say was trying to fight back and stop the deadly attack.

Authorities said Wilson had a concealed carry permit and fired at the suspect. He was shot three times in the process.

He is expected to survive.

Details are very sketchy about the exact role Mr. Wilson played in stopping the attack. We don’t know if Mr. Wilson hit the gunman, but we do know that he distracted him and shot at him.

We don’t know why Mr. Wilson, who is just one of 12+ million concealed carriers in the United States, chose to draw his weapon and wade into a fight against an attacker with a longer-ranged weapon and ostensibly more training.

But Mr. Wilson did make that choice, and I think, deep down, that all of us who carry firearms and give serious thought to their use and obtain training to more effectively use them know why Mr. Wilson felt compelled to act.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13

Most people in this world hear cries of alarm and pain and violence and either freeze or run away.

There are some, however, who run towards danger, and they are the men and women who make a difference.

Thank you, Byron Wilson, for being one of those brave souls who runs towards the sound of gunfire to save your neighbors, and thank you Houston SWAT, for also answering the call and ending the threat.

It's interesting to read the Lame Stream Media about the attack
http://abc13.com/news/two-dead-6-wounded-in-west-houston-mass-shooting/1361533/

http://www.policemag.com/channel/swat/news/2016/05/30/video-active-shooter-kills-man-wounds-two-constables-in-houston-rampage.aspx

Police say a second shooter was struck by gunfire and taken to the hospital. At this point, the role of that person isn't known. Police are interviewing him now.

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/motive-in-deadly-w-houston-shooting-remains-a-mystery/222758873

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Police sources also say a second man identified as Byron WIlson is no longer a suspect and was in fact a Good Samaritan trying to help in Sunday’s deadly shooting in west Houston. (Photo: Custom)

The Good Samaritan was shot by the suspect as he tried to help and fight back. Wilson was critically injured, but he is expected to survive

If you wish to help the CCW with his medical bills there is a gofundme link
https://www.gofundme.com/HelpByronRecover

M-Tecs
06-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Nice post. I didn't know that until your post.

starmac
06-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Also glad to see this post. There is just a slight difference between a second shooter, and someone legally fighting back and perhaps saving an untold amount of lives.

osteodoc08
06-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Hope this guy makes a full recovery and receives appropriate accolade while promoting legal concealed carry.

As an aside, had this guy been open carrying, perhaps he would have been one of the first victims.

Boaz
06-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Thank you Artful ! Good story .

popper
06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Interesting part about the shooter, from Ca, 22 yrs old, joined in 2010, was in Af. until Nov 2010, discharged in 2014. Came to Texas after on-line meeting some nut cases. Parents claim it's PTSD. Prayers for Mr. Wilson's complete recovery. As he was hit 3 times, assume CHL's are not used to getting shot at. Looking at the squad car, I assume the shooter wasn't either.

starmac
06-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Hope this guy makes a full recovery and receives appropriate accolade while promoting legal concealed carry.

As an aside, had this guy been open carrying, perhaps he would have been one of the first victims.

You could just as easily say perhaps the shooter would have just left for easier prey if he had seen someone wearing a sidearm.

popper
06-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Little off-subject question here, the least of Mr. Wilson's cares now. I saw mention in a different post that if a gun is used in a shooting of any kind, it would not be returned to the owner. Any state for Fed law covering that? Don't see anything like that in Texas Penal code.

shooter would have just left for easier prey if he had seen someone wearing a sidearm. Hard to tell but IMHO, the shooter was out to do damage, turned defensive when threatened and just sprayed the neighborhood. Appears to be very common attitude in these kind of attacks so putting them down quickly is the only solution. Kid who's dad shot a LEO trial starts today, his only chance is if they find he threw the gun his dad gave him away and then hid.

OS OK
06-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Out of all these comments, this is what I walk away with..Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. – John 15:13

I think our Greatest Generation would have proudly gathered around him to welcome him home…had he not been successful.

True American…pray for his speedy recovery and that he be celebrated and held high as an example.

starmac
06-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Popper. I had a gun held in Texas years ago it was evidense, so they had to keep it till after the trial, then had to keep it till after all appeals were denied (over a year) then they I got all the evidence back except the gun, as they kept it because thye wanted too for another year. I finally got a court order to lock up the county sherrif to get it back, which took another year. I would imagine a lot of folks would have given up, but there were no longer any legal grounds to hold it.

OS OK
06-03-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm not a CCW permit holder, don't want to be on any lists out there or on more than I'm already on. But I never thought of this aspect…I know this much now…I sure as heck wouldn't carry one of my favorite pistols…looks like that old H&R .38 snubby I have just got re-evaluated.

montana_charlie
06-03-2016, 12:09 PM
From the article ... "What many news outlets seem to be glossing over in their reporting of attack is that the veteran’s attack, carried out with an AR-15 variant, showed that the weapon was anything but “high-powered.” Six of the eight people shot with the most common rifle sold in the United States survived the attack."

In addition to that information, Wilson, himself, was shot three times.

Would somebody care to speculate about the possibility that the perp was shooting M-855 green tip ammo?

Freightman
06-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Might reconsider to I carry a 45 but have a CZ52 that is quite effective at 100 yds, HUMM

dragon813gt
06-03-2016, 02:28 PM

I will never understand this line of thinking. It comes up all the time when talking about open carry. There are lots of surveillance videos where robbers come into the store and stick up the clerk while there is an armed police officer in the store. They don't usually pay attention to their surroundings because they are only focused on one thing. And they are usually looking for an easy mark. Someone that is armed does not fit that description.

Fact of the matter is that we will never know in this particular case because he was not open carrying. There is just as much of a chance that the perp could have decided not to start his assault after seeing someone open carrying a gun. These shooters pick soft targets for a reason. They want maximum kills before the potential suicide by cop.

This type of incident makes me want to have an AR in the truck at all times. Your carry piece can potentially be used to fight your way to it. No matter what I never want to be in this type of situation.

TXGunNut
06-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Never heard about the CCW's role in this shooting, glad he was there. Hard to say for sure but suspect he saved lives or kept more folks from getting shot. Hope he recovers fully. As for a gun being held for evidence it would bother me but I won't let it influence what I carry. If it saves my butt or someone else's it's money well spent.

Lonegun1894
06-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Little off-subject question here, the least of Mr. Wilson's cares now. I saw mention in a different post that if a gun is used in a shooting of any kind, it would not be returned to the owner. Any state for Fed law covering that? Don't see anything like that in Texas Penal code.

For what it's worth, my last incident, I got my gun back the day the Grand Jury No Billed me. No hassle of any kind. I was told it helped that it was on video and was very obviously justified.

Markbo
06-06-2016, 03:27 AM
..... I was told it helped that it was on video and was very obviously justified.....

Well that is certainly not the norm!

I am not sure which LEO force was involved but the Harris County Sheriff is very famous for not signing off on NFA items so he is no friend of armed citizens

Blackwater
06-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Wow! Thanks. Almost like there's a conspiracy in the media where the philosophies drive what they print isn't it? Almost?

Don Fischer
06-06-2016, 09:30 AM

Good point about open carry. I would not carry at all before I'd go open unless I was out hunting with one of my handguns. Make's you such an obvious target! On the down side, I could envision the shooter's family suing the good guy for distracting their relative and causing him to be shot. It seem's in a number of places you can't fire on a shooter unless you or your family are endangered. That's sad! I think in a case like that, rule's should fly out the window into the favor of the good guy. Hope the guy is alright!

OS OK
06-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Well that is certainly not the norm!

I am not sure which LEO force was involved but the Harris County Sheriff is very famous for not signing off on NFA items so he is no friend of armed citizens

I think the last 'good' sheriff you had there was, C.V. Buster Kerns…Dad worked for him.

Artful
06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Hope the guy is alright!

Well, he's alive after being shot 3 times with an AR,
and in the hospital facing large medical bills.
So that's about as alright as you can be in that regard.
At least people have started to help him with the Medical bills
- he's at $51k out of $100K anticipated to be billed.

Markbo
06-06-2016, 08:24 PM
An that is a very important consideration. Being hospitalized for an extended peeiod can RUIN you. But so can being sued. Everyone who carries should consider carriers insurance.

Blackwater
06-06-2016, 10:57 PM
God bless this good man and protect him from further problems arising from what he did. Men who run TOWARD danger whenever it crops up are heroes in every sense of the word, and we need more of them now than ever before. God bless them all.

Artful
06-09-2016, 07:01 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/01/houston-shooter-fired-212-rounds-from-military-style-assault-rifle-police-say.html?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obnetwork

CRIME (http://www.foxnews.com/category/us/crime.html)Houston shooter fired 212 rounds from military-style assault rifle, police say

Published June 01, 2016

2 dead, 6 wounded in Houston shooting

HOUSTON – An Army veteran of two Afghanistan tours who killed one person and wounded several others during a weekend rampage fired 212 rounds from his military-style rifle before a SWAT officer fatally shot him, police said Tuesday.

"Suffice to say, after he fired 212 rounds, he was prepared," police Lt. John McGalin said of ammunition carried by 25-year-old Dionisio Garza III, of Rancho Cucamonga, California.

McGalin said Garza was armed with an AR-15 rifle and a pistol and likely was experiencing a "mental health crisis" when he opened fire Sunday morning at a Houston auto detail shop, using the pistol to kill a customer, then retrieving the rifle and spraying the west Houston neighborhood, motorists and then police with gunshots.

"He was suffering from some depression, I guess you could say," McGalin said. "His family indicated he wasn't feeling right. And he left to come here to hang out with some friends and to try to find some work."

Garza's relatives have said he was haunted by his Afghanistan deployment.

Six people were wounded, including two officers and three motorists. McGalin said the sixth person wounded, John Wilson, 30, who initially on Sunday was considered a possible suspect in the outburst, was a nearby resident who armed himself after hearing all the gunfire and intended to try to assist in stopping Garza.

"He got outgunned, realized he was in a bad situation, tried to leave and was shot in the leg by the suspect when he tried to get to safety," McGalin said. "He was coming out to help. He didn't think very wisely, made a bad choice and got himself into a bad situation."

Wilson and the three other wounded civilians were hospitalized in stable condition. The two officers were released earlier.

Patrol vehicles were left bullet riddled and a police helicopter was hit with at least five shots.

McGalin said investigators believed Garza selected both the location and his victims at random. Detectives said he broke into an adjacent tire store late Saturday afternoon, then emerged Sunday morning with a pistol and shot 56-year-old Eugene Linscomb, a customer who had arrived moments earlier at the auto detail shop.

"Why he selected that location, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it," he said. But McGalin said it appears Garza felt safe at that spot "due to his military training."

"He had access to three corners. He was backed up against a fence so he didn't have to worry about anybody coming from behind him. It was just a location he felt safe doing this. And that's the only thing we can surmise at this point in time until something different comes along," McGalin said.

He said detectives found some "random writings" at the tire store where Garza spent Saturday night but declined to elaborate.

"It doesn't appear to be a terrorism link to this or anything like that," he said. "It just appears to be someone who was in a mental health crisis."

Acting Police Chief Martha Montalvo said the investigation "is still evolving," with numerous witnesses yet to interview and evidence to examine.

She credited residents who called Sunday and then "opened up their homes to allow us to do what we had to do."

Police declined to be specific, but it appeared the SWAT officer who killed Garza nearly an hour after the shooting began was stationed more than 100 yards away at one of those homes.

"In my mind, they're heroes and averted what I believe could have been more casualties," Montalvo said.

Garza spent four years in the Army, receiving his discharge in 2014, according to Pentagon records released Tuesday. During that time, he served two tours in Afghanistan, the first from December 2009 to November 2010 and the second from December 2012 to August 2013. Assigned to infantry, he reached the rank of sergeant in December 2011.

"I think he was haunted by everything that he saw there and he experienced there," his stepmother, Cathy Garza, told ABC News. "I think it changes you. I don't know how you can go through what he went through and see what he saw and not have it change you or have it affect you."

Garza's family told Houston television station KPRC that something snapped in him following the two tours in Afghanistan and that his condition worsened in recent weeks.

"Just in the last two weeks it progressively got worse," said his father, Dionisio Garza. "It was not the same boy that we raised. Not the loving uncle, the loving brother.

"Something snapped. It wasn't him anymore. I'm not making excuses. No excuses. I know he did this, but it wasn't him anymore. My son was broken."

TXGunNut
06-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Rather disturbing.

osteodoc08
06-09-2016, 08:28 PM
Hmm. i wonder what really happened. Was this guy a "cowboy" as the article states or a bystander with a CCW that decided he wasn't gonna go down without a fight?

212 rounds fired is a minimum of 8 magazines. This took forethought. Sad really.

Does anyone one have any articles or evidence of WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam era vets committing such heinous acts?

Lonegun1894
06-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Does anyone one have any articles or evidence of WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam era vets committing such heinous acts?

In addition to this, I would LOVE to know if this guy was being pumped full of psych meds, since that seems to be a common factor with mass shootings.

Markbo
06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
In addition to this, I would LOVE to know if this guy was being pumped full of psych meds, since that seems to be a common factor with mass shootings.

Really? Which other mass shooters were "pumped full of psych meds"?

That is a very telling choice of words. Not about the shooter but about you.

Lonegun1894
06-11-2016, 01:35 AM
Really? Which other mass shooters were "pumped full of psych meds"?

That is a very telling choice of words. Not about the shooter but about you.

Lets see: South Carolina church shooter, Dylann Storm Roof (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/18/everything-known-about-charleston-church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof.html) was on the benzodiazepine anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the pain killer Suboxone. ,

Santa Barbara college shooter, Elliot Rodger (http://scottlazarowitz.org/blog/2014/06/americas-culture-of-escapism-denial-and-narcissism/), was on Xanax and the pain killer Vicodin,

Aurora Colorado theater shooter, James Holmes (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/04/nation/la-na-james-holmes-documents-20130405), was taking the SSRI antidepressant Zoloft and the anti-anxiety drug Clonazepam,

Germanwings Airlines co-pilot Andreas Lubitz (http://www.ibtimes.com/what-drugs-was-andreas-lubitz-lorazepam-antidepressants-could-have-affected-1867744), who took down his plane and mass-murdered 144 people, had been on Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety drug, as well as an unnamed antidepressant (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/04/02/uk-france-crash-pilot-idUKKBN0MT0IS20150402),

Kip Kinkel was withdrawing from Prozac and had been prescribed Ritalin when he murdered his mother and stepfather then shot 22 classmates, killing two, in 1998.Christopher Pittman was withdrawing from Luvox and from Paxil when he killed his paternal grandparents in 2001.
Elizabeth Bush, who fired at fellow students in Williamsport, Pa., in 2001, wounding one, was on Prozac.
Jason Hoffman, was on Effexor and Celexa when he opened fire at his El Cajon, Calif., high school, wounding five.
Shawn Cooper of Notus, Idaho, was on antidepressants when he fired a shotgun on students and staff.

T.J. Solomon, on antidepressants, wounded six at his Conyers, Ga., high school.
Eric Harris was taking Luvox when he and fellow student Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others before turning their guns on themselves at Columbine High School in Colorado.
At Virginia Tech in 2007, where 32 were murdered, authorities found “prescription medications related to the treatment of psychological problems had been found among Mr. Cho’s effects,” according to the New York Times.

How's the above INCOMPLETE list?

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/psych-meds-linked-to-90-of-school-shootings/#Y6bh4o4O7GWrL1Lk.99

I have read everything I can find on the topic in the past 10-12 years, and this is the pattern that is showing itself. Below are some articles you may find interesting.

Just a quick search showed these results. You may want to read a few of them, Markbo.

http://www.naturalnews.com/050149_mass_shooting_guns_psych_drugs.html

http://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/14655-prescription-for-murder

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/psych-meds-linked-to-90-of-school-shootings/

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/is-there-a-link-between-psychiatric-medication-and-mass-shootings

http://www.westernjournalism.com/mass-murders-psychiatric-drugs-and-gun-control/

These are just a random sampling, but look up the side-effects of some psych drugs, and you may be very surprised. I am not saying that everyone who takes psych meds is dangerous, and if anything it is a very small percentage, but it is a much higher percentage than the non-medicated portion of the population experiences. Think of all the commercials you see for various depression meds on your TV every single day... Thinking about them... Ever notice that every single one lists "Suicidal and Homicidal tendencies" as a side-effect that has shown itself in the trials leading up to the drug being approved? These shootings have also been getting more frequent in the decades since these drugs have been getting prescribed. You may want to do some reading.

Now lets have your opinion of just what my words say about me please? Because if you have information to back up your claim, I would love to be able to further educate myself and admit my mistake, IF I am wrong here, but based on reading everything I can find on the subject over the past 10-12 years, I haven't seen anything to prove me wrong yet. I would love to be though, so please prove me wrong.

MtGun44
06-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Taking on a rifleman with a handgun is very, very dangerous business.

We had a crazy guy in a small town in Missouri, maybe 10 years ago start killing folks in
the town square with an AK. A young man was in his rented room with a 2nd floor window on
the square, saw and heard it and grabbed his 1911 and went down into the square
to engage him. He managed to save a couple of lives - at the cost of his own. Heroic guy,
but "ya'll be careful out there".

Too bad he didn't have a rifle handy, could have dropped him from the second floor
window, likely.

Bill

TXGunNut
06-12-2016, 01:39 AM
Lest we forget a certain Texas cop took on two riflemen and carried the day. He's no ordinary pistol marksman but he showed what could be done with the proper attitude and training. If I'm in that situation I'll have to wade in there with what I have and do the best I can, it's what I was trained to do. I don't carry a rifle, generally don't even one in the car so the choice of our carry guns has to take into account some pretty challenging scenarios.
Psych drugs have most certainly been a contributing factor for many mass shootings and other tragedies. OTOH they have all but put some types of mental hospitals out of business. At one time I transported "emergency commitment" violent mental health patients to a mental hospital a few counties away. That hospital no longer has an inpatient facility from what I've heard, thanks to psych drugs. Patients that were once confined to protect them and the public are now (for the most part) functioning members of society. A few have gone bad, very bad, with tragic results. I detest the "blame game" and refuse to play it here. The easiest (and least reasonable, IMHO) is guns. IF we can get past blaming guns we have a chance of stopping these folks from going off the deep end.

Markbo
06-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Lonegun, I stand corrected. It is simply very common for the public at large to not understand those suffering from depression or any mental illness for that matter and assume the worst. I clearly mistakenly grouped you with that bunch and for that apologize.

richhodg66
06-12-2016, 07:40 AM
It's becoming the norm in our society, pumping people full of all kinds of meds. I teach public school and it seems half the kids nowadays are on some kind of med or other for ADHD etc. When I was growing up, I don't remember any kids being on these things and it seems like we didn't have these mass shootings. I swear, the medical community seems the worst enemy of American society nowadays, simply out there to sell pharmaceuticals and not really treat illness.

This guy's actions are truly heroic. There have been questions about whether he did right, but I believe in a life or death situation, if you have the means to do something to mitigate it, you are morally obligated to do so even if at great risk to yourself.

w5pv
06-12-2016, 11:18 AM
I know this Nam Vet that for the first few years he came back would every so often go off of his rocker and have to go to Army Hospital(Brooks General)for readjustment to civilian life.So far as far as I know he hasn't been back for several years now and I hope and pray that he is cured of his aliments.

Lonegun1894
06-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Lonegun, I stand corrected. It is simply very common for the public at large to not understand those suffering from depression or any mental illness for that matter and assume the worst. I clearly mistakenly grouped you with that bunch and for that apologize.

No problem at all. I hope I didn't come across as saying that anyone with any kind of "mental disorder" is a threat, because I honestly believe that the vast majority do not, but as TXGunNut said, there used to be a portion of the population that was considered dangerous that was locked up to keep us and them safe, and that is no longer the case. And I for one can't stand the propaganda being pushed nowadays that is intended to take away my rights and yours and the excuse being used is that some unstable/insane/improperly medicated person did something that you and I had absolutely nothing to do with, but you and I will pay the price for if the politicians get their way--and they don't care if the price we pay is with our lives, our freedoms, or anything else they decide they want in a knee-jerk reaction.