PDA

View Full Version : Help needed, bullets sticking in sizing die

azrednek
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm having a difficult time getting bullets out of my sizer. I'm sizing bullets cast from wheel weights. Possibly as I don't recall for certain if I wasn't getting a good flow or filling out the mold I added some tin. I'm sizing a bullets cast from a Lyman 41027 hollow based wad cutter, sizing them in an RCBS sizer, a Midway brand heater, into a Lyman brand 410 die and using an unknown brand of red colored lube that requires heat.

So far I've sized apx 20. I've had to disassemble the sizer tool twice now and beat the bullet out with a plastic hammer. After the first one stuck I've tried different depths, rolling lube by hand into the grooves, increasing heat and then stuck another requiring the sizer be disassembled and the bullet beat out with a plastic hammer. The sized bullets that have come all have been very difficult to get out of the sizing die. I've previously used the sizing die with other 41 cal cast slugs without any problems.

I'm putting the project on hold hoping somebody can offer any advice. All suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance.

leftiye
05-16-2008, 12:14 AM
What size are your boolits before and after sizing? Is lube coming out and getting in the grooves on the boolits? Lube in the bore of the die really helps this situation. Are you water dropping or heat treating your boolits before sizing? How long after casting are you sizing your boolits? Is the inside of your sizing die rough? Best help I can give without better info.

In a new die situation, often the finish of the bore of the die is rough. You can polish it, but it might grow a thou. on you. Hard lead and oversize boolits make thangs much worse. Try spraying Hornady case sizing lube on your boolits or rolling them in RCBS case sizing lube before sizing.

HeavyMetal
05-16-2008, 12:16 AM
What size are the boolits before they go in the die?

Then I'll ask what sizer die are you using? Experience has shown me that trying to do more than .002 at a time is tough and if your going for .003 or more you'll get the problem you got!

Suggest you measure un sized boolits and figure out how much your trying to shave off!

RogerWatsonfromIdaho
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Are you sizing the Lyman 41027 more than the other 41 caliber bullet?
I wonder if the hollow base is causing this problem. You could try sizing the Lyman 41027 bullets nose first instead of base first to learn if that fixes this problem.

454PB
05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Assuming you are not sizing too much in one step, perhaps you are heating the lube too much. Some boolit lubes lose they low speed lubricating ability when thinned too much, kind of like trying to use motor oil as a case sizing lube. I suggest you lower the heat on the sizer and see what happens.

azrednek
05-16-2008, 02:54 AM
What size are your boolits before and after sizing?

Batteries are dead on my Chinese electronic mike, my old dial caliper is showing about 411.5 and the end product is a perfect .410.

Is lube coming out and getting in the grooves on the boolits?

Near perfect, apx 1 in every 6 or 7 go through for a second time.

Lube in the bore of the die really helps this situation. Are you water dropping or heat treating your boolits before sizing?

The bullets were all water dropped but not heat treated.

How long after casting are you sizing your boolits? They were cast apx 1 to 1 1/2 years ago.

Is the inside of your sizing die rough? The sizing die was purchased new apx 3 years ago and is in good shape, perhaps 1000 to 1500 boolits through it.

Best help I can give without better info. In a new die situation, often the finish of the bore of the die is rough. You can polish it, but it might grow a thou. on you. Hard lead and oversize boolits make thangs much worse.

It is possible I cast them hard and just don't recall it, unfortunately I don't have and hardness tester.

Try spraying Hornady case sizing lube on your boolits or rolling them in RCBS case sizing lube before sizing.

Thanks for your help, I'll try it tomorrow.

454PB wrote:
Assuming you are not sizing too much in one step, perhaps you are heating the lube too much. Some boolit lubes lose they low speed lubricating ability when thinned too much, kind of like trying to use motor oil as a case sizing lube. I suggest you lower the heat on the sizer and see what happens.

I think you're on the right track, after I posted here earlier, turned the heater off and I tried a few more they easily went in and out.

RogerWatsonfromIdaho wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sizing the Lyman 41027 more than the other 41 caliber bullet?

It has been a few years but I'm pretty certain I used the same sizing die, all sized to .410. Right after I got the mold a few years ago I used the old Lee hand sizer and pan lube and don't recall any problems other than digging the lube out of the cavity. I also tumble lubed some and sized them with the modern Lee sizer and the best I can recall there were no problems. I know the old Lee hand sizers weren't always perfect but if I recall correctly they were usually a bit over size. The boolits I sized and cast a couple tears ago were likely cast and sized within a 24 hour time span. I don't recall but they were likely water quenched. Being a new mold (old & used but new in my hands) chances are good I tried both methods.

I wonder if the hollow base is causing this problem. You could try sizing the Lyman 41027 bullets nose first instead of base first to learn if that fixes this problem.

I'll try that in the morning.

heavyMetal wrote:
Then I'll ask what sizer die are you using? Experience has shown me that trying to do more than .002 at a time is tough and if your going for .003 or more you'll get the problem you got!

They are going in and out a little less than .002. It is possible I had some cast from a different batch, just can't recall as the cast un-lubed slugs have been sitting around for awhile.

I think the suggestions on lowering the heat might be right on as when the problems started I increased the heat and the sticking got progressively worse. The boolits also have been sitting around long enough to harden some. I'll fool around with them in the morning, I have a doc's appt at 11:00 and I'll post the results in the afternoon.

Thanks everybody for chiming in here.

Orygun
05-16-2008, 03:04 AM
I have had the same problem with my Star sizer using too much heat. Back it off a little and run a sized/lubed bullet through it once in a wahile.

azrednek
05-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Found the problem, to much heat. My Midway brand heater's thermostat doesn't seem to be working correctly. Thanks for the help!!

Ken
05-16-2008, 07:20 PM
When I used to tumble coat CBs with molly then size them I had the same problem. I would put a little 30 weight motor oil on my fingers to lube them and they worked fine!

mooman76
05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I just turn the heater on until the lube flows freely and then I unplug it. If it startrts to get hard to lube I turn it on again but it usually stays warm enough for a long time.

azrednek
05-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I just turn the heater on until the lube flows freely and then I unplug it. If it startrts to get hard to lube I turn it on again but it usually stays warm enough for a long time.

Moonman that is what I used to do with an old heater I had. I'm not sure which brand but it came with a cache of Herter's brand loading tools and components I got at an estate sale. After it died I gave it to a friend of mine. He discovered the problem was in the male plug apparently from constant plugging it in and out. I'm always careful about pulling out plugs properly but I can't speak for the previous owner.

Today I hooked it up and electrical outlet strip with an off-on switch and breaker. Made it allot easier to hit the breaker rather than crawling under my bench to the outlet.