PDA

View Full Version : Robo calls

buggybuilder
05-31-2016, 07:54 PM
Has anyone on our forum familiar with NOMOROBO automated system?
It is suppose to detect robo calls before they get to your phone (although your phone will ring once before detection.)
This inquiry came with our phone bill and it says it is free.
Anyone have it? Good....Bad....Or ?

buggybuilder
05-31-2016, 07:56 PM
Subject title should read ROBO calls

fixed it for ya.

imashooter2
05-31-2016, 08:01 PM
How do they get paid for their philanthropy?

Alvarez Kelly
05-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Subject title should read ROBO calls
I was wondering who was calling in kangaroos...

Mica_Hiebert
05-31-2016, 10:36 PM
Think every one in the nation should sign up for it if it works. Shut them guys down I have them call my cell phone all the time! Always get one where I am pre a proved for a knee brace or back brace. Herd it's a scam where they get elderly people to give them their insurance info and bill a bunch of **** to their insurance. Basic scamming insurance/ medicare paying for these medical supleies .

montana_charlie
06-01-2016, 01:02 PM
How do they get paid for their philanthropy?
That question pops into my mind on a regular basis.
There are so many things being advertised today that are 'free' it boggles my suspicious mind.

I won't send for any 'free' drugs or medications ... ever ... won't put 'em in my body.
And, allowing an outfit that I know nothing about to 'monitor' my telephone line 'for free' is also never going to happen.

What if they can make your (idle) telephone act like a microphone for monitoring any audio in that room?
Would you be okay with that?

OS OK
06-01-2016, 01:35 PM
charlie…take a look at this..9 Household Products That Could Be Spying on You - ABC News (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiV9_GcrofNAhVM5mMKHfQkBs0QFggsMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FBusiness%2Fhouse hold-products-spying%2Fstory%3Fid%3D19974898&usg=AFQjCNF5bA58T3Upcef8hFSwl0qk962lBw&sig2=jlGNV6bUPLO7O0dKwKG8Rg)

montana_charlie
06-01-2016, 08:48 PM
1. Television - ours is fairly old, decidedly 'dumb', and has no micophone or camera.
2. Cable Box - No cable box, but my DTV receiver sits in a cabinet behind an opaque panel.
3. Kitchen appliances - Perhaps some models have enhanced capabilities, but none that live at my house.
4. Lights - My lights are just 'lights' that emit light ... nothing automatic, or intelligent about them.
5. Heat and AC - nothing there besides a temperature controlled on / off switch.
6. Security Alrm Syatem - We have a Border Colie for that.
7. Insulin pumps and Pacemakers - No implanted medical devices here.
8. Smartphones - Absolutely no smart phone in this house. Wife has a Track Phone for trips to town.
9. Tablets and computers - my wife has a headset and camera so she can Skype with friends.
- My desktop includes nothing of that sort ... and no Skype, either.

I'm not paranoid. I don't believe anybody is out to get me, or trying to spy on me.
I just prefer to know that nobody can ...

OS OK
06-02-2016, 05:23 AM
You are safe and certainly 'smarter' then the average fella. Their audacity to do these things is what slays me though. The fact that they do it and get away with it. NSA doesn't spy on U.S. citizens…right...

OS OK

Kraschenbirn
06-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Robocalls are a genuine PITA but I found that the security/anti-virus software provided by my cellphone carrier (Virgin) has a built-in "blocker" function. If the originating number has been previously identified as a spam/scam call, it's automatically blocked. If I pick up and find a call to be spam/scam, I can add the number to my 'blocked' list and it's gone forever. After a few 'blocks', though, the call bots seem to qive up shift to a different number but it does slow 'em down some.

Bill

montana_charlie
06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
If I pick up and find a call to be spam/scam, I can add the number to my 'blocked' list and it's gone forever. After a few 'blocks', though, the call bots seem to qive up shift to a different number but it does slow 'em down some.

Bill
Is there a maximum number of phone numbers that can be included in your list?

Kraschenbirn
06-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Is there a maximum number of phone numbers that can be included in your list?

Dunno, only been using it for a couple months and have blocked seventeen numbers, so far.

Bill

montana_charlie
06-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Dunno, only been using it for a couple months and have blocked seventeen numbers, so far.

BillI'm being a pest with quetions because our telephone provider also has a number bblocking service ... but 'our list' can only include eight numbers.
When I dial into the menu, there is an option to have the list read back to me.
If all eight slots were in use, then I would expect to only hear those eight numbers.

You have blocked seventeen numbers. Does your 'service' confirm that number, or identify seventeen numbers when the list is read back to you?

What I am wondering is if, when you added the 'ninth' number, the system deleted your old 'first' number ... so that you actually only have a total of eight being blocked.

Geezer in NH
06-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Wife has problems in her laptop ,but she knows everything. To Bad mine works fine.

It has cost her 200+ dollars to correct. I keep telling her take a computer class like that has helped in the last 10 years.

Been married for 45 years to her so I let her findout by herself because I Must just being mean to her.

Note she cannot use my computer as I pass word protected it from her. She will never figure the pass word by the way.

We do love each other but she is getting older and cannot accept she can be wrong.

Kraschenbirn
06-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Charlie...

The blocker function of the security application (CM Security) on my Android cellphone doesn't have a 'number menu' per se. When I bring up 'blocker history', I get my choice of (2) scroll-thru lists: one is a list of all currently blocked numbers and the other a list of all incoming/outgoing calls for the previous 30 days (and, if there's a number there I want to block, I can transfer it manually). Doesn't appear to delete any previously blocked numbers, just keeps adding to the list.

Bill

Kraschenbirn
06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Wife has problems in her laptop ,but she knows everything...

My wife was formerly the 'system administrator' for the not-for-profit where she worked for 24 years and has more computer training than a room-full of high-school geeks but she's a Mac guru and I'm a PC guy who took is first programming course on IBM PUNCH CARDS and his first PC class on Commodore 64s. She hates PCs and I don't care for Macs...can get by on one but don't like 'em...so we've got separate systems and the only (computer) thing we share is our wireless router.

Bill

GOPHER SLAYER
06-03-2016, 07:02 PM
My TV occasionally flashes a green light in the upper left corner. Are they taking pictures of me?

Petrol & Powder
06-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Robo calls can be a bit annoying but not that big of a deal. I can spot most by the caller ID and just answer the call but say nothing. If the device on the other end doesn't get a voice response it moves on to other active lines, if it is someone that I want to talk to they will say something. I see robo calls as junk mail by phone, not something that I'm going to lose sleep over and something easily ignored in the overall scheme of things.

shooter2
06-03-2016, 07:54 PM
JMHO, but they should be illegal. Why should we have to bear the burden for ending the invasions?

Petrol & Powder
06-03-2016, 09:05 PM
JMHO, but they should be illegal. Why should we have to bear the burden for ending the invasions?

Write your congressman ........ ;-)

OK, I think we can all agree that robo calls, sales calls, telemarketers, etc. are ANNOYING !
Unfortunately they are also not much different than someone asking to speak to you on the street or a Jehovah witness knocking on your door (although a no trespassing sign might stop someone from approaching your door).

On the scale of annoying solicitation I find phone calls to be worse that junk mail (very easy to identify and discard) but not as bad as someone knocking on my door (rather intrusive).

Instead of seeking the government's protection (a LAW to prohibit telemarketing) it would be preferable to make telemarketing ineffective. Telemarketing would cease almost instantly if it didn't produce results, however as long as it is somewhat productive it will continue.

Kraschenbirn
06-03-2016, 10:01 PM

If you're already on your state and federal "no call" lists, they ARE illegal...but getting anyone, state or federal, to prosecute unless they can link the caller(s) to an actual fraud case is like pounding sand down a rat hole. Most of the scam telemarketers are using 'throwaway' cell phones, anyway...use it for a couple weeks then toss it and activate a new one. Makes it nearly impossible to back track the operation.

Bill

mrvmax
06-03-2016, 10:38 PM
I use the no more robo with my U-verse phone and it works great.

country gent
06-03-2016, 11:31 PM
In my case these recorded brain dead calls from marketers, charities ( also the scammers) and politicans are a real pain and dangerous to me. I have mobility and balance issues, trying to get to the phone to see who it is and answer it is a big risk of falls for me. For years now I have asked both political parties to place me on do not call lists I have asked the charities also all to no avail they are all arrogant and getting their messages out is more important than my saftey. The marketers are even worse than the others as they really only care about making their commisson. During an election year I canget 8-12 calls a day from both parties. Normally it runs 1-3 marketers charities a day. What needs to be remebered is when the harrassment laws were written the first thing politicans did was to excemt themselves and charities from it. The real joke is the charites you asked to be placed on the list and its going to be 6 weeks or longer before the calls will stop. When my wife was alive she constantly was on me I was going to get harrassment charges filed my reply was not when they call me.

leadman
06-04-2016, 12:44 AM
It is illegal to call a cell phone if you are not a customer of the business calling. I report the number to the Do Not Call List along with any received on our Magic Jack phone. All of our phones are also on the do not call list.
Had an attorney calling our number, but we were not connected with the issue he was calling about. Would not give up with repeat calls so I turned him in the TDNCL. He called one more time to apologize and say it had had cost him a couple of hundred dollars in fines.

shooter2
06-04-2016, 12:45 AM
OK, I'll admit I'm am old and crabby I want like it was when the phones had a dial. When it rang you answered it because you knew it was for you. It was a friend, or family, or someone returning your call. That's it! I do not think it's asking too much. If the rest of you are not bothered, well, good for you. I have little time and no need for this ****. I am NEVER going to buy something from someone who calls me on the phone unsolicited. Nor should I have to pay for a service to avoid that. GD phone bill is too high anyway.

mold maker
06-05-2016, 06:04 PM
What I don't understand is how does the ROBO dialer know when I sit down to supper.
Does my TV automatically send a signal when I dose off?
Just how do they know when it's the most annoying time to call me?

TXGunNut
06-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Lemme see if I understand this; when my smart phone rings I'm supposed to answer it? IF I know who it is AND I'm expecting a call I MIGHT answer it. Otherwise I hope you understand how voicemail works. If you think having my number gives you a right to talk with me you have an overdue reality check coming.

montana_charlie
06-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Just how do they know when it's the most annoying time to call me?
I think they work on the premise that whenever they call becomes the most annoying time in your day.

jonp
06-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Never answer a call from a number you do not know. Even if you immediately hang up it registers as a valid number and the calls will continue