PDA

View Full Version : unniversal expanding die question...

ssn vet
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Hey there guys,

I'm loading up my first batch of cast bullets....

312-155, gas checked and pan lubed with 50/50 loaded into 7.62x39....

I've sized my brass with the Lee sizing die and am setting up to use the Lee Unniversal Expanding Die for the first time.

So I'm not sure how much flare to put on the cases before seating the bullets.

I know the objective is to not shave off lead from the bullet, and I'm assuming I don't want to scrape all the lube of as well.

Any tips or guidance is much appreciated

garandsrus
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
SSN Vet,

All you need is enough flair so that the base of the boolit fits inside the case. The rest of the boolit will fit fine.

It doesn't take much flair and sometimes doesn't even look like any at all.

John

Ricochet
05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Follow the directions for the correct arrangement of expanding plugs for your case. Put a case in the shell holder, run it to the top of the ram travel, and screw down the die till it hits the case and stops. Back down the ram, turn the die down a little at a time and push the case up into the die, then take it out of the shell holder and try one of your boolits in it. When the base of the boolit will just enter the mouth of the case easily, stop there with the die and tighten down the lock ring. (Finger tight.) Check with another case to make sure you didn't move the die.

ssn vet
05-15-2008, 10:35 PM
thanks for the quick replies....

I backed out the adjusting knob and now am just flaring out the mouth enough to drop the gas checked bullet in so that it stops with the top of the gas check flush with the top of the case.

It's gettin this done with a very minor "bell"

47 more and I'm droping powder :)

runfiverun
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM
to test mine i run them up into the seater die to make sure they donot drag in the neck area.

ssn vet
05-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh yeah....

the seating die....:roll:

well, I just belled and primed 50 cases.....let's see if I botched this up or not...

looks like they are sliding up into the seating die, with no contact or resistance at all, untill the last 1/16" to 1/8" of ram stroke, at which point I can just feel the belled case mouth make contact with the die....

I'm a little surpised, as I'm not putting much flare on at all.

I think it's going to be O.K., but will have to wait untill tomorrow night to tell...

Sleepy night night time for this kiddo.

Chow

Ricochet
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
You're contacting the crimping part of the seating die. Normal. There's another thing to adjust.

runfiverun
05-16-2008, 11:25 AM
no crimp unless in lever or a pistol/revolver.
one thing at a time, i like to crimp cast in a separate step.

ssn vet
05-16-2008, 02:33 PM
You're contacting the crimping part of the seating die. Normal. There's another thing to adjust.

easy enough, I'll back out the seating die just a smidge.

one thing at a time, i like to crimp cast in a separate step.

me too...

right or wrong, I like the Lee FCD and this bullet has a cannalure (of sorts) so I'll hit them with the FCD last of all.

Happy Friday guys .... finally...

it's been a really LOOOOOOONG week.