PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Dumb Question

WFO2
05-31-2016, 09:12 AM
Ok so I cast a few of these (Lyman 358477) now ready to lube .My question is one of the grooves a crimp groove ? If so my Lyman sizing and lubing die has two holes . So do you fill the crimp groove with lube as well or do I wait and buy an RCBS die with one holes for lubing .Apologies if I should have posted in the lubing section .

JSnover
05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
No need to fill the crimp groove.

WFO2
05-31-2016, 09:49 AM
So it is a crimp groove and I need to plug a hole on my die or get one with only one hole .I do have to push the bullet all the way down to size the driving bands right ?

John Boy
05-31-2016, 09:56 AM
Lube both grooves because the truncated cone bullet should be factory crimped on the driving band - not in the top groove

OS OK
05-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Isn't the stroke length adjustable on the lube-sizer?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-31-2016, 10:35 AM
So it is a crimp groove and I need to plug a hole on my die or get one with only one hole .I do have to push the bullet all the way down to size the driving bands right ?
First, whether or not, you need a crimp groove for crimping is up to you, you don't want lube in it, if you are crimping in it...makes a mess.

Second, to answer one of your questions, I would recommend that you size the entire boolit, including the driving band...But only your gun will say if you "HAVE TO".

Some think plugging holes in Lyman lubesizer dies isn't necessary and/or not designed for it, so you shouldn't. But I do it all the time,in fact I just did it two nights ago, to solve the exact same problem you are asking about here, with a 94gr RN for 32-20 with one lube groove and one crimp groove.

See post #8 for details and photos, that I posted a long time ago. The older Lyman dies with 16 large lube holes are the worst offender of putting lube where you don't want it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166565-Lyman-45-buying-guide-and-cleanup-instructions&p=1864430&viewfull=1#post1864430

44MAG#1
05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm not too educated but I adjust the depth on the sizer shorter than it should be. I take a bullet and size it and see where the sizing stops. If I need to adjust the depth lower to get the front drive band sized I adjust a little at a time and use the same bullet till success is achieved.
Once I get it adjusted where I want it I then apply pressure to the lube and see if it is applied where I want it. It it is I have at it.
If the lube groove is being filled I block the offending holes.

WFO2
05-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Im not so smart either I figured out adjusting the depth for lubing but if I went shallow enough to not fill the crimp groove then the top driving band would not be sized .I think that JonB might have the answer .Will continue to study up .

44MAG#1
05-31-2016, 11:22 AM
"Im not so smart either I figured out adjusting the depth for lubing but if I went shallow enough to not fill the crimp groove then the top driving band would not be sized .I think that JonB might have the answer .Will continue to study up ."

Didnt I say the same thing just in a shorter way?
Sorry.

Walter Laich
05-31-2016, 11:44 AM
not to be a SA but this is one reason I powder coat. I still "Lyman lube" but for the small pills I find PC to be a much easier method. I use a Lee push through sizer after the PC

WFO2
05-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Sorry 44 rereading you did indeed .

jsizemore
05-31-2016, 02:32 PM
I use a push thru sizer and only lube the bottom groove and crimp in the top groove. I've yet to lube both grooves and crimp on the top driving or over the top edge.

WFO2
05-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks all for the advice it worked out good .

Scharfschuetze
06-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Lookin' good WF02. That's what my SWCs look like after sizing and lubing. With a good lubricant, the designed lube groove carries sufficient lubricant.

WFO2
06-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Indeed the advice given solved the problem for me . Many thanks all.....

MT Chambers
06-01-2016, 11:46 PM
Many new loaders/casters confuse the prep needed for the Star sizer with what is req'd. for the Lyman/RCBS lube/sizers, they are very dif. animals!

JeffG
06-03-2016, 12:39 AM
This! I made this exact mistake before I had a Lyman 4500 sizer and better understood how they work.

Many new loaders/casters confuse the prep needed for the Star sizer with what is req'd. for the Lyman/RCBS lube/sizers, they are very dif. animals!

lotech
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
When you find a load you like, fire some groups with the bullets that have lube in lube groove only; fire some more with bullets that also have lube in crimp groove. Between the two, there may or may not be a difference in accuracy or tendency to lead (or not lead) the bore, but it's worth trying. Never found crimping bullets that have lube in the crimp groove to be at all messy.