PDA

View Full Version : G

kmw1954
05-30-2016, 01:30 PM
While sorting some WW. I started thinking of what to do with the Zink I sort out. As I haven't smelted any yet I and am completely uneducated. Question I have is will Zink pour well and is it suitable for casting fishing jigs and weights or is it hard to work with and be a waste of time?

bangerjim
05-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Melts at a higher temp that Pb alloys. Much harder to cast than Pb alloys. Higher surface tension than Pb. That is why most Zn items are rotationally or injection cast. Most of the cheap stuff you see is stores is cast Zn or pot metal ( a potential alloy of Zn.) plated to look expensive.

But fishing weights are just very rough seat-of-the-pants castings, so you might be able to use it.

Remember - - -Zn weighs less than Pb.

There are those on here that will buy/trade for your Zn, but usually are talking large quantites.

I used to just throw them in the garbage and not worry about it. And that is why I quit even messing COWW's 2 years ago when the ratio got to almost 40% non-Pb weights! Not worth my time and effort at all.

Mabe it's worth it to you?

kmw1954
05-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks, that's why I'm asking.

500MAG
05-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Shaddygrady use to swap it pound for pound but I don't think he does anymore.

runfiverun
05-30-2016, 05:54 PM
I haven't seen him around in a while, but the last I heard he had a bunch and was recycling what he did have.

you can use the zinc for fishing sinkers and some states don't even allow lead anymore so I'd hang on to them.
you can also cast zinc boolits and shoot them.
you just need to turn the heat up to about 850-f , pre-heat the mold, and get the sprue cut quickly.

kmw1954
05-30-2016, 08:00 PM
OK, Guess I'll save it for now and give it a shot to see what happens.
Long ago, mid 1970's I used to work in a diecast shop that had one press for zinc flywheels for small engines.

kmw1954
05-30-2016, 11:33 PM
WoW, don't know what happened to the title here. It wasn't G.

country gent
05-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Its easier to cast zinc in a propane fired pot as most electrics are at their upper end melting zinc to casting temps. I have 2 10 lb lees that will 1 that wont. Running the higher temps is harder on equipment also. Zincs temp is much closer to the aluminum sinker and jig moulds so handle them carefully when up to temp. A plumbers pot or heavy steel pot on a burners well shielded works well along with a dipper. youll probably need to run zinc close to 850*-900* for good fill out. SInce most jig sinkers moulds drop with sprue in place and it is cut off when cool with side cutters you may need a heavier set to cut zinc easily. A upper medium set of dykes should do well for this. Back in the 80s I played with casting zinc bullets for a short while never cot the consistancy or accuracy from them like lead did.

country gent
05-30-2016, 11:56 PM
Casting split shot dosnt work at all its to hard with pliers compressing the shot it breaks at the bend point pretty often. And if the shot has the teeth in it to grip its hard enough to damage the mono

kmw1954
05-31-2016, 01:13 AM
Thought was to use the zinc for jigs and bottom walkers. The lighter weight might also just work with jigs as I use a lot of 1/4oz jigs on jig spinners with large plastic trailers and sometimes 1/4oz is to heavy for the depth and speed I want.

All this gives me plenty to ponder. Knipex side cutters work wonders.

2wheelDuke
06-01-2016, 07:40 AM
The only thing I've tried to cast so far from zinc is egg sinkers. They're fairly likely to be lost, and I came to hate the thought of good lead staying on the bottom.

The do-it mold worked just fine with zinc. I found that I could use an allen wrench through the hole and a plies to twist the sprues off the same way I did with lead.

kmw1954
06-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Thanks 2WheelDuke that's good to know. As of now I only have a small amount of zinc on hand so guess I'll be looking for a dedicated small pot to use for this zinc.