PDA

View Full Version : Airguns in Scotland and England

cbashooter
05-30-2016, 02:02 AM
In England they are already regulated to 12 foot pounds of muzzle energy to not be considered a firearm. Recently Scotland has basically banned these dangerous BB and airguns. The British press has jumped on board to take in this is all just a grand idea making up stories and s*** to get the pubic all worked up.. I feel so bad for me shooting friends over there that are already quite Limited it what they can own. There's a group in England called the "cat protection League" that is calling for the licensing of all airguns.

If you read the article below it shows a picture of a kid shooting (a powder burning rifle,let's not show what they are really talking about)with a caption that children as young as 14 can legally fire an airgun...,not own just fire. "And at only 18 you can legally buy one" oh my word....

And what they are referring to in the article is turning air guns into "killing machines" is ordering aftermarket spring kits. And if you turn your rifle into a more powerful gun above the 12 fpe limit it is illegal anyway and you are not doubling the power regardless of the BS. A 22 caliber rifle is about 120 foot pounds of muzzle energy the most you're going to get out of a spring powered airgun is 28-30 fpe, and the average airguns are nowhere near doing that. What pre-charged pneumatic you definitely could get more. But i.doubt some little kid is going to go buy an $1,000 air arms.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/674829/richard-madeley-air-rifles-richard-and-judy-air-guns-conversion-kits-co2-canisters

UKShootist
05-30-2016, 01:35 PM
It's an interesting situation for sure. I occasionally used to visit Scotland (land of my fathers) and try to get some shooting on some farmland while I was there. I would load up the car with a .223, a couple of .22 rimfires, a .17HMR, and a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle in case there was some barn ratting to be had.

When the Scottish legislation comes into full effect I will still be able to visit Scotland with the same armoury, all except the air rifle, for which I shall have to apply for a visitor's permit.

I am of the opinion that the people who make firearms laws the world over are drawn to that occupation by some sort of warped gene because they clearly have not the first idea about firearms and conspire to make some of the most stupid laws.

Here's another one about Scotland. In England and Wales I can use a 45/70 to shoot deer provided it can produce at least 1,700 ft/lbs muzzle energy. Easy! That's fine for England and Wales for any species of deer that we have. In Scotland I cannot use my 45/70 because there is a also muzzle velocity requirement of at least 2,400 fps so I'm not even allowed to shot roe deer or even muntjack (about as big as a medium sized dog.) with it!

NavyVet1959
05-30-2016, 03:18 PM
Here's another one about Scotland. In England and Wales I can use a 45/70 to shoot deer provided it can produce at least 1,700 ft/lbs muzzle energy. Easy! That's fine for England and Wales for any species of deer that we have. In Scotland I cannot use my 45/70 because there is a also muzzle velocity requirement of at least 2,400 fps so I'm not even allowed to shot roe deer or even muntjack (about as big as a medium sized dog.) with it!

I guess they want to ensure that you can kill multiple of those animals with a single shot as long as you line them up in sufficient numbers to eventually stop the bullet. :)

According to wiki, the roe deer is normally 33-77 lbs and the Reeves's muntjac is normally 22-40 lbs. That's some pretty small deer. The smallest deer we have in the US are the Key Deer. The ones that we have locally are larger than the Key Deer, but since I normally just see the does, it's not worth the trouble to harvest them. Besides, when you can get within 10 ft of them and they just look at you, it's not really that sporting. :)

Ballistics in Scotland
05-30-2016, 03:53 PM
In England they are already regulated to 12 foot pounds of muzzle energy to not be considered a firearm. Recently Scotland has basically banned these dangerous BB and airguns. The British press has jumped on board to take in this is all just a grand idea making up stories and s*** to get the pubic all worked up.. I feel so bad for me shooting friends over there that are already quite Limited it what they can own. There's a group in England called the "cat protection League" that is calling for the licensing of all airguns.

If you read the article below it shows a picture of a kid shooting (a powder burning rifle,let's not show what they are really talking about)with a caption that children as young as 14 can legally fire an airgun...,not own just fire. "And at only 18 you can legally buy one" oh my word....

And what they are referring to in the article is turning air guns into "killing machines" is ordering aftermarket spring kits. And if you turn your rifle into a more powerful gun above the 12 fpe limit it is illegal anyway and you are not doubling the power regardless of the BS. A 22 caliber rifle is about 120 foot pounds of muzzle energy the most you're going to get out of a spring powered airgun is 28-30 fpe, and the average airguns are nowhere near doing that. What pre-charged pneumatic you definitely could get more. But i.doubt some little kid is going to go buy an $1,000 air arms.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/674829/richard-madeley-air-rifles-richard-and-judy-air-guns-conversion-kits-co2-canisters

The situation is often misdescribed at tenth hand or so on boards like these. In Scotland a licence will indeed be required, from the end of this year, for any airgun held by a person who doesn't already have firearms. If he does have any already licensed firearm, nothing more will be needed until his five-year license runs out. My impression is that the police, who must make new licenses available from July and haven't yet been told how, will make it fairly easy for people without an adverse record, and before five years are up it may become a more or less on-request addendum to the present kinds of license.

Of course very little injury or damage has been done with airguns, and what there has could as easily be dealt with as graffiti-writing, and in much the same demographic. All complex legislation involves errors and absurdities. But it isn't any more so, or the press any more alarmist, or pressure groups any more intrusive or zanier, than in any other country.

It isn't illegal to own an air rifle of more than 12 ft./lb., or produce one by conversion. It just means that it has to be licensed on an ordinary firearms license, which the Scottish government can't change, as that legislation is "reserved to Westminster". All airguns are firearms in law, as far as offences such as shooting or threatening people or owning them after being banned from firearms ownership by a court are concerned. It is just that those under 12 ft./lb. have hitherto required no license, and will soon require what might be fairly painless licensing in Scotland.

cbashooter
05-31-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying that ballistics in Scotland. It still is a funny instance for us here in America for your airguns are more tightly regulated than are semi-automatic magazine-fed rifles. And that in your and our country bad people do bad things with ever they can get their hands on.

Artful
05-31-2016, 04:39 PM
Will soon require what might be fairly painless licensing in Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_CkZQoseZ4

Just Remember, It's all about Sheeple CONTROL.

jsizemore
05-31-2016, 06:45 PM
From Ballistics in Scotland-
"It isn't illegal to own an air rifle of more than 12 ft./lb., or produce one by conversion. It just means that it has to be licensed on an ordinary firearms license, which the Scottish government can't change, as that legislation is "reserved to Westminster"."

Does this mean you can own it but not use it or.....?

MT Chambers
05-31-2016, 07:50 PM
All this is kinda strange for me, I travel alot in the Netherlands and Italy and they can buy any airgun, any power, including hi power .308s etc. Even non residents can walk in and buy any airgun, any power.

Geezer in NH
05-31-2016, 08:48 PM
The situation is often misdescribed at tenth hand or so on boards like these. In Scotland a licence will indeed be required, from the end of this year, for any airgun held by a person who doesn't already have firearms. If he does have any already licensed firearm, nothing more will be needed until his five-year license runs out. My impression is that the police, who must make new licenses available from July and haven't yet been told how, will make it fairly easy for people without an adverse record, and before five years are up it may become a more or less on-request addendum to the present kinds of license.

Of course very little injury or damage has been done with airguns, and what there has could as easily be dealt with as graffiti-writing, and in much the same demographic. All complex legislation involves errors and absurdities. But it isn't any more so, or the press any more alarmist, or pressure groups any more intrusive or zanier, than in any other country.

It isn't illegal to own an air rifle of more than 12 ft./lb., or produce one by conversion. It just means that it has to be licensed on an ordinary firearms license, which the Scottish government can't change, as that legislation is "reserved to Westminster". All airguns are firearms in law, as far as offences such as shooting or threatening people or owning them after being banned from firearms ownership by a court are concerned. It is just that those under 12 ft./lb. have hitherto required no license, and will soon require what might be fairly painless licensing in Scotland.

Yep no different than the USA state of MA, when I moved from there to NH without a license 1 BB, 1 empty case, penalty under the Bartley/Fox law was mandatory on conviction 1 year in jail.

To think the revolution started there, crying shame the libtard Demo/Marxists are in control there..

Ballistics in Scotland
06-01-2016, 05:20 AM
From Ballistics in Scotland-
"It isn't illegal to own an air rifle of more than 12 ft./lb., or produce one by conversion. It just means that it has to be licensed on an ordinary firearms license, which the Scottish government can't change, as that legislation is "reserved to Westminster"."

Does this mean you can own it but not use it or.....?

You can use it, but as it isn't much better for the way most people use airguns, few bother. It might well be that it will gain popularity as a way around the Scottish airgun license.

Politics is complicated. Not long ago a referendum on Scottish independence was overwhelmingly defeated, but the Scottish National Party is still the largest, and the London government is still implementing promises of devolved powers made to ward it off. I think they are being encouraged to overstep the mark in numerous minor ways which will make them unpopular, and permit the clawing back a lot of the concessions that were made.

The British way is to give those who agitate what they demand, and then allow it to lose a lot of its force by minor regulations and relaxed enforcement rules. For example my collection of mostly European cartridge revolvers began when we were deprived of cartridge revolvers. They have to be for cartridges not commonly available (though perhaps easily made), and pre-1939. Those are what I can own but not use, unless I cared to lodge them in a government approved shooting centre, like political prisoners. So some guns are totally uncontrolled which would be subject to control or registration in the US.

cbashooter
06-02-2016, 12:04 AM
What do you mean "controled the registered "in the US?. Because of many states we can buy guns private party. No paperwork at all.
Some would argue but there is very little true gun registration in the United States. But they are trying hard. Not sure about California that place doesn't sound far away from Scotland laws

Geezer in NH
06-02-2016, 09:54 PM
What do you mean "controled the registered "in the US?. Because of many states we can buy guns private party. No paperwork at all.
Some would argue but there is very little true gun registration in the United States. But they are trying hard. Not sure about California that place doesn't sound far away from Scotland laws
Try that in the state of MA. All sales private you have to submit the transfer form or become a felon. Way it is in the commie states.

Try a transfer in NY of a hand gun and no paperwork Ya right!

cbashooter
06-03-2016, 02:31 AM
Our state of Washington just did this last year also.sure has stopped criminals from getting guns .just the start of registration....

victorfox
06-03-2016, 06:20 AM
i tell you... here in brazil the commie monkeys import whatever is worst in legislation. In fact the commies have plans and start their attacks all together. Until 1996 one could buy his guns easily in the store while there where already a caliber control. In 1996/97 what happens? tight control here, Australia, some parts of USA, UK and where more? They seem retard but they follow their scripts to the letter. they write books have international meetings and everything detailing their actions. We the outsider says Gee this is absurd but it's done with a purpose.
Armed people with the right mind is no good for domination. Sheeps are easie to deal with than guard dogs.