PDA

View Full Version : boolit trap?

ddykstra
05-28-2016, 07:40 PM
anyone made or have plans for a boolit trap for muzzleloaders? any suggestions greatly appreciated.God bless!!!

Mk42gunner
05-28-2016, 09:24 PM
There used to be huge thread in the Classics and Stickies section of the forum. I haven't looked at it in a while but it was around twenty pages long the last time I read though it.

Robert

runfiverun
05-28-2016, 09:40 PM
it has some good plans in it too.
some of them are super simple some drop the boolit out the side.

VinceG
05-29-2016, 02:04 AM
I made mine out of a 18'' wide, 18'' high, 24'' long. Used a 12x12 rubber paver for the front. Put a quarter in plywood sheet 4 inches behind that. Filled the front with tightly stuffed walmart sacks. Filled the rest with sand. Hinged lid on top. Works great for pistol/ low velocity bullets. rifle bullets tend to wear down to the gas check. Just emptied 10 pounds from it this week.

OS OK
05-29-2016, 11:09 AM
I needed a trap to do load work-ups right behind the garage where the load room is. This plastic can is filled with rubber landscape chips and the front sacrificial front board is screwed on from under the rim of the can with phillips wood screws. The plastic boxboard stapled on front where the targets are stapled keeps the rubber from trying to migrate out the front of the sacrificial board as it gets blown away quickly. Behind the board I stuffed the plastic bags that the rubber chips came in, that also keeps the rubber chips contained. I put another few plastic bags in at 20 inches deep to keep from digging all the way to the bottom for lead, they don;t get past that depth too often. The bottom 1/3'rd of the can doesn't need empting this way.
I line the chrony up in front of this rig and go at it. So long as you don't hit within a couple inches of the outer rim the rounds will not escape. The first time I opened her up to retrieve lead I found 8 pounds, about 250 .45 cal. rounds and it mounts quickly. Did not find any rounds imbedded into the rubber chips deeper than 18 inches. I would suggest using the bottom 2/3'rds of a 55 gallon drum instead of a cheap plastic can. I will eventually do that if I can't procure all the steel I need to make a proper trap that will drop the rounds into a 5 gallon bucked negating necessity to open and dig through the rubber chips and having to put it all back together again.
Bottom Line…I get the work-ups done without having to take the chrony down the hill to the range and set all that up there. Convenient and speedy, it gives me more opportunity to test things or just go out for a while and make some bangs for giggles. It's a short range solution and I would consider also having a proper backstop behind this because Murphy will eventually come around and trip your best made plans.

PS…It is heavy!