PDA

View Full Version : Identify this .223 bullet?

yondering
05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I picked up a new (to me) Rem 788 in .223 Remington last night and got a bunch of loaded ammo with the gun as well. About 180 rounds of this ammo uses these cast lead boolits, which I haven't seen before, hopefully someone here can identify them?

According to the box they are cast from Linotype. The label said 45 grains, but the bullet I pulled weighs 53 grains with lube and gascheck. I'm assuming the unfilled groove on this bullet is a second lube groove, it seems too deep for a crimp groove. Weird part though is the area to the rear of the bullet that is smaller diameter than the driving bands (just ahead of the gas check). What's the purpose of this narrow portion? The driving bands are sized at .224, but the narrow portion measures .217 inch.

I couldn't find a similar bullet in my Lyman cast bullet handbook.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/zthang43/Misc/IMG_6215a.jpg

felix
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Have no idea what the intention is/was. Whatever, it is wrong for what we need a boolit to look like. That tail recess can set up some serious gas problems in more way that one. The overall boolit length, however, seems fine. Pull them for a remelt. ... felix

fourarmed
05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Kind of surprising that it isn't filled with lube.

stocker
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Possibly made for something like a 219 Zipper, lever gun? I'd relube a few and try them before consigning to the pot. Not ideal but may work with lube in front of the check.

Rustyleee
05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Have you shot any of them yet?

Wicky
05-15-2008, 06:12 PM
At a guess I would say it is a heeled boolit similar to what you would use in a 310 martini - that might explain the skinny bit.
As for what it was designed for I have no idea, sorry

runfiverun
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
i would fill the area in front of the g/c with lube and try some.:Fire:

JeffinNZ
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Looks like a Lyman 225415 to me. My .223 LOVES them over 6-7gr of Green Dot.

HORNET
05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Also looks even more like the RCBS 22-055-FN. No idea how(or why) it only got lube in one groove. Relube them right and shoot them. Try around 13.5 of either flavor of 4227.

yondering
05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys. It does look like one of the Lyman boolits maybe. Comparing it to the Lyman 44gr RNGC at top right on the Lasc.us site here, http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm The bullet pictured there looks like it has the same heeled portion, maybe just an extra long gas check shank? Are there extra long gas checks for something like this? Wouldn't be a half jacket, maybe somewhere in between?

The recessed portion of the base is only about .007" smaller than the driving bands, so I doubt it would hold lube very well. I'm not set up for casting, lubing, or sizing .22 caliber yet anyway.

The bullets are loaded over 8.8gr of 7265 according to the box. I'm not familiar with that powder, but I shot a couple and they seem like a nice mild load, no evidence of leading yet.

I can only assume the top lube groove was left unfilled intentionally; the bullets are seated so the case mouth is even with the bottom of the top lube groove. Evidently the previous owner didn't want an exposed lube groove?

JIMinPHX
05-16-2008, 03:33 AM
The Lyman 225415 looks just like that. It shows up in the books as being 45 grain. The newer molds have longer gas check shanks on them & make heavier boolits. Mine come out at 54 grains with gas check before lube is added. That’s with an alloy similar to #2. When I load that boolit, I only lube the rear lube groove & the area in front of the gas check. I haven’t had any lube related problems & I’ve pushed them up to 3,000fps, so I guess that the front lube groove isn’t really needed. I’m still dialing them in for accuracy though.

shotman
05-16-2008, 03:41 AM
i had about 75 in a box that i bought at an auction box said 50gr GC--HG --would that be hensley-gibbs ? shotman

azrednek
05-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Looks like a Lyman 225415 to me. My .223 LOVES them over 6-7gr of Green Dot.

Looks like it but it is missing the lube groove in from of the gas check.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/aaa-22415.jpg

yondering
05-16-2008, 12:26 PM
The Lyman 225415 looks just like that. It shows up in the books as being 45 grain. The newer molds have longer gas check shanks on them & make heavier boolits. Mine come out at 54 grains with gas check before lube is added. That’s with an alloy similar to #2. When I load that boolit, I only lube the rear lube groove & the area in front of the gas check. I haven’t had any lube related problems & I’ve pushed them up to 3,000fps, so I guess that the front lube groove isn’t really needed. I’m still dialing them in for accuracy though.

That sounds like what I have. They were labeled as 45 grain but weigh 53 grains of Linotype.
Do you leave the front groove unlubed because it's outside the case neck for your seating depth?

Any idea what the reason is for the long gas check shank?

Rustyleee
05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
When I got my .223 I thought I'd be able to do some cheap shootin until I checked the price on pre-cast and lubed bullets. Forget that! I could buy jacketed bullets for what they charge. The only thing is to cast my own. I have a Lee mould on order from Mid South. I can't wait till Aug. when it gets here.