PDA

View Full Version : Identify Moulds for Casting Machine

Leeammo
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
I have a problem. I have 11 moulds that are set up for a automatic casting machine and I don't know what make of machine they fit. Can anyone out there identify these? You can see in the pictures that they have massive sprue plates and they also have automatic bullet ejectors built into the blocks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have cast bullets for decades but have never even seen a machine in operation. Thanks, Lee

LAH
05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Never seem any like that...........Creeker

KYCaster
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Lee: Your molds and the machines that use them were made and sold by John Kennedy. He built most of the machines in the '80s and '90s.

A couple of companies used them for commercial production...Precision Munitions in Jasper, IN and Bull-X in Farmer City IL...both long out of business. I got one when I first got into the commercial boolit business...wish I had bought a Magma and Mr. Kennedy had his machi.....I better not go there.

Mr. Kennedy seemed to be a gifted machinist. His work was well executed and his molds were of outstanding quality. Trouble is, his designs really sucked. Everything about the machine was overly complicated and his choice of off the shelf parts was poor at best.

I have no idea how many machines he built, but I would say fewer than 100 and probably fewer than fifty. Because of poor durability of parts and lack of support from Mr. Kennedy, I'd say you'll be lucky to find one of the machines still in use. Most of them are probably like mine, sitting in a corner taking up space.

The most frustrating thing about the whole deal was trying to find Mr. Kennedy. When I got my machine he was living and working in Evansville, IN and demoing the machines at local gun shows. Later, when needing parts or tech support, I found him in Illinois, Colorado, California, Oregon and Idaho. The last time I heard from him, he contacted me wanting to sell me his demo machine and a bunch of spare parts. That was about '99 or 2000. He didn't tell me where he was at the time, and I wasn't interested in finding out.

If you want more info about the machine or are interested in one for a project, PM me and I'll try to help.

Jerry

Leeammo
05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Thank you Jerry, I appreciate the info. Now, at least I know. If you happen you know anybody that wants these things I will sell them CHEAP! $10.00 each. Lee