PDA

View Full Version : Mad Dogs and Boolit Casters

NVcurmudgeon
05-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Today was our first eighty degree day this year, so you can imagine last night was warm. In loading up ammo for the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I discovered that I had no annealed .30 cal. GC on hand. I had to wait for my wife to go to bed, then built a roaring fire in the fireplace for my pipe nipple GC annealing machine. This morning I had about 350 annealed Gator GC ready to go. My wife is used to boolit casting emergency operations, but it took about the first five years of marriage to get her trained to her present degree of tolerance.

DLCTEX
05-15-2008, 07:57 AM
A good woman is hard to find, and keep. DALE

Calamity Jake
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Yap good wives are hard to find, I'm like you I've got one, I told her the other day I was going to buy a Rock River Arms AR15 and it will cost about $1200, she says,,,,,,,,,,,OK

Maybe the OK is because I bought her a $1000 washing machine??????????

Southern Son
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Mine is really understanding (lucky for me). But she did know what she was getting in to before we started dating. She was dating one of my flatmates and every saturday she would come over to see him and while she was waiting for him to get dressed to go out, she would sit in the lounge room while I sitting there cleaning my 686 while watching television after shooting that morning. She don't let me clean guns in the lounge room while I watch television now (she don't like the smell of Sweets 7.62 solvent), but she does let me have a Dude Room. The only gun thing I ain't allowed to do in the Dude Room is cast bullets.

Boerrancher
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
During my 10 year marriage to my first wife, I made and she spent 2 fortunes, and I didn't have time nor was I allowed to do much hunting, fishing, or shooting. My wife now not only lets me do those things when I want but oft times when I am really uptight about something and need to relax, sends me off to do them. When we built our house this past summer, she saw to it that I had a special work room for my gun and reloading stuff. She lets me cast in there as well, even though the oder from the fluxing of the pot gives her a headache. I try to time it to where she is going to be out of the house for a few hours when I add lead to the pot and flux it.

We still have our problems to work through from time to time, but she has really stood by me through all of my hospital stays and rehab. I know a lot of guys that were wounded who's wives couldn't handle the stress and just up and left. Julie not only has taken care of our 5 children, but was also there to take care of me when I needed it. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for her.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

square butte
05-15-2008, 01:34 PM
My wife has two favorite things she likes to say - "If it's not a gun, it's not a gift" and " All roads lead to guns". What more could a guy ask for.

Reloader06
05-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Do any of them have sisters?:-D

carpetman
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Calamity Jake---$1000 washing machine??? For much less than that you can buy a scrub board and to really make it fancy a pair of rubber gloves---you could probably talk someone at the hospital out of a pair free.

mold maker
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
44 years ago I made a wise choice. She still lets me do most of what I want. Of course, I still have to make wise choices. I've decided to keep her, and she agrees.

Springfield
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Boerrancher: If you would switch to Pat Marlin's Flake Flux you could eliminate at least one source of contention in your life. The stuff actually smells good, and works better than most anything else I have tried. I only cast a few thousand bullets a week, so I'm no expert, but if it keeps the wife happy it is usually worth it.

NVcurmudgeon
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
When we were shopping for this house, I told Fran, "You know the budget. I want a house on at least half an acre, with a shop room or separate good building. The rest is your choice." She and the real estate lady found a nice medium size house on one acre, in a rural enclave close to Reno. My shop room was created by a previous owner converting a three car garage into a large two car garage. I cast in the garage and all the rest is done in the "clean" shop. She forces me to buy guns and go hunting and fishing, and attend any shooting events and gun shows that interest me. She works and I don't. It's just too bad she doesn't have a father who owns a liquor store.

Wicky
05-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Boerrancher, those kind of women are keepers! Mines the exact same. I think there may be an alterior motive for sending me shooting or out to the shed to tinker or cast - keeps me out of her hair.
Best thing is she is pretty low maintenance, I only have to vacuum and help move furniture when required and for that I get to play with my mates each weekend!!

Thumbcocker
05-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I knew tht my wife was a keeper when she first came over to my place and saw the deer hide tacked on plywood in the bathtub. ( I had a separate shower) And she didn't freak. She also ate two of my venison burritos and let me clamp my 550 on the breakfast bar in her apartment when we moved in together.

I knew that she ahd learned all I could teach her when she called me one day at work ( she was unemployed at the time and money was tight) and carefully explained that we could pay for getting her deer head mounted and still have enough money to pay the property taxes.
It was a beautiful moment and I still get misty eyes thinking about it. The student surpassed the master.

Calamity Jake
05-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Calamity Jake---$1000 washing machine??? For much less than that you can buy a scrub board and to really make it fancy a pair of rubber gloves---you could probably talk someone at the hospital out of a pair free.

Yap a $1000 washing machine and it wasn't the one she wanted
I have the scrub board that my mother used when I was a younan, it hangs in the laundry room, I told her she was welcome to use it!!!!---------------IF looks could KILL, I wouldntl typing this now.

Mumblypeg
05-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I didn't get married untill I was 45, wife is a little older. I told her I was too old to change, accept me as I am or we part ways, no hard feelings. It's worked out pretty good except when I buy guns she wants one too! She already took claims to some of my best ones. I taught her to make the shot above all... so when she started hunting she darn near worked me to death cleaning deer. And get this, she has never missed one!( Did have two get away though but they died and were found later.) After she got a wall hanger, 8 point, she has kinda lost interest for herself but suports me. She doesn't cast boolits though. I thinks she afraid of getting burned. Heck, she used to cut the grass while I sat on the pourch and drank beer( or pepsi). I thought "Man, this is too good to be true!" Well that's changed a little but not much. Now here's the real kicker. She likes the smell of black power, WD-40 and hoppes#9! I think I'll keep her.I'll stop now cause everytime I bragg on her something will happen and she'll turn into a bi__h for a few days... she is just a woman you know...

Mumblypeg
05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
BTW Carpetman, she's from TEXAS! Met her in a cornfield in Tenn...but that's another story.

Southern Son
05-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Reloader6,
Mine has a sister, but she is a lawyer and the spitting image of my mother in law. All I can say is that I am glad of three things, the out-laws are in South Australia, I am in Queensland, and that Oz is sooooo big.

When I bought my missus her engagement ring, she bought me a G.Loomis fly fishing rod, with a good reel and she payed for my flyfishing leasons. When I quit my last job to start they new one, I got a reasonable payout, because the new job was in Queensland and I like to fish, she told me to buy a boat, we didn't have a stick of furnature in the house, we watched an old 2nd hand T.V. while sitting on a beanbag and a camping chair, and I was still allowed to buy a boat. Every time my mother in law rings up and says "You have taken my baby away" I tell her "You just can help good taste, I definately got the pick of the litter."

river-rider
05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
IF your wife or girlfriend puts a dab of Hoppes#9 under each ear you know you have made a wise choice.:Fire:

Typecaster
05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
My lovely wife thought Hoppes was was my favorite aftershave, but it wasn't her favorite. (Now I usually use Ed's Red. She never knows when I've been working on guns or just cleaning something in the shop. Thanks, Ed Harris!)

Richard

carpetman
05-19-2008, 02:01 AM
Mumblypeg---What town in Texas is your wife from?

blackthorn
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Spent 32 poor years with the first wife and then she gave me a really great gift (she left). That was in 1992. I did get 2 great sons out of that first attempt and now I have a wonderful grandaughter (she's 22) (unfortunately she is not interested in guns). I met my current wife in 1991 when I started a new job and we got together after the first one left. We got married in 1996 and believe me this one is a KEEPER. She retired about a year before I did and she was able to travel all over BC with me when I was working. That travel gave us a chance to pick our retirement area here in Kamloops. We got a double wide trailer on 1.9 acers of flattened hillside with a 15 mile view above the river. I had a 30x40 shop built (still organizing in there) and there is a 10x12 reloading shed. Gail has a small 10x10 shed for her gardening stuff and we share the shop (most of the stuff in there is mine). She encourages me to go fishing and hunting with some of my buddies or the boys. The only down side is her health is not as good as it could be, and the other thing is the dang pine bettle killed all 32 of our big beautiful yellow pine trees. But life is good at last!!

pumpguy
05-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Mine had to go through a small learning curve. She never complained too much about the money I spend on my hobby, but, she was afraid I was becoming "one of those weird gun guys." I told her I never complain about her tried and forgotten hobbies, let her have whatever she wants within reason and bought her a new SUV. I also pointed out that I don't go out to the bars, chase skirts, neglect or abuse her or my kids, keep up the house and the yard, don't spend the weekend in front of the TV, and I fold the damn towels. All I want in return is to be left alone about the guns. If I start burying them in the back yard and boarding up the windows so the guys in the black helicopters can't see what I am doing, she could complain. Haven't had a problem since.