PDA

View Full Version : Dying Vietnam vet asks for final meeting If you don't cry at this you ain't human

gray wolf
05-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Dying Vietnam vet asks for final meeting with beloved horses outside hospital
Dying Vietnam vet asks for final meeting with beloved horses outside hospital
Published May 23, 2016 FoxNews.com

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2016/05/23/dying-vietnam-vet-asks-for-final-meeting-with-beloved-horses-outside-hospital/_jcr_content/par/featured-media/media-0.img.jpg/876/493/1464031896080.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Vietnam veteran Roberto Gonzalez's final wish was granted Saturday when he was reunited with his beloved horses -- Ringo and Sugar -- outside of a Texas VA hospital.

Gonzalez, of Premont, Texas, who was shot and paralyzed during the war, was wheeled outside the front doors of Audie Murphy Veterans Hospital in San Antonio where he was greeted by the horses he had raised for decades, mySA.com reported.

Gonzalez, who was one of the hospital's first patients when it opened in 1974, had asked his family to see his horses one last time. The family passed along the request to hospital staff who gladly obliged. Ringo and Sugar then made the 150-mile trip to the hospital to see him.

"Horses are his life," his wife, Rosario Gonzalez, told KABB. "We've been training and raising horses for 30, 40 years."

The South Texas Veterans Health Care System posted a photo of the meeting on its Facebook page on Sunday, calling Gonzalez a great American and identifying him as one of the first patients at the hospital.

"A heartfelt Thank you, to all at Audie L. Murphy V A Hospital," Rosario Gonzalez posted in response. "A special thank you to the spinal cord staff, all of you became a part of our family.

"The care you have been giving my husband and to me goes above and beyond," she wrote. "You are our angels God Bless you all."

Gonzalez reportedly learned that his kidneys and liver were failing when he recently visited the hospital for a back wound.

"He never let his injuries slow him down. He loved horses, he loved cattle, he loved ranching and farming. He was proud to serve his country," Rosario Gonzalez told ABC affiliate KSAT.

Gonzalez's May 21 visit with the horses came 46 years to the day after he was wounded in Vietnam. His wife told local media stations that her husband was one of the only licensed, handicapped horse trainers in Texas.

"When the horse came up to him he actually opened his eyes. They came up to him and I think they were actually kissing him," Gonzalez told News4SA.com.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/23...?intcmp=hplnws (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/23/dying-vietnam-vet-asks-for-final-meeting-with-beloved-horses-outside-hospital.html?intcmp=hplnws)

woody290
05-24-2016, 11:27 AM
A moving story and a inspiration to us all. God Bless and keep you Mr. Gonzalez. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
05-24-2016, 12:12 PM
A moving story and a inspiration to us all. God Bless and keep you Mr. Gonzalez. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.Amen,yep I'm still human.

DCP
05-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Wow just wow

All gave some,some gave all

buckwheatpaul
05-24-2016, 05:17 PM
God bless Roberto and thank you for your service and being an inspiration to others. God bless his wife and his family as well. Father ease his pain and give him the grace and love that he deserves.....Amen

Blackwater
05-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Wow! What a great and heart warming and heart rending story. Thanks. I think God may well judge us, in part, by how we've treated and cared for our pets and animals. Others will view this as preposterous, but I don't, and many will agree. A man with that much love in his heart, who disperses it so freely, is truly one fine man. He'll be missed, I know. Men like that always leave a hole behind them when they're no longer with us.

bedbugbilly
05-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Good thing I had some Kleenex handy . . .

Let's all say a special prayer for Robert and his family as well as for the staff who helped put all this together for him to get his wish . . . they are all very special people.

smokeywolf
05-24-2016, 11:03 PM
My heroes have always been cowboys and it seems Mr. Gonzalez has been a hero in every possible way and in every aspect of his life. Vaya con Dios Mr. Gonzalez and God bless you.

MaryB
05-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Animals know... and show so much compassion...

When I came back from neck surgery my cat Tigger who I raised form a tiny handful of fur hopped on the back of my chair where he normally hangs out then very gently snuggled into my neck but left the incision site alone. He stayed like that for an hour until I had to get up and move.

6bg6ga
05-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Sometimes the bond you can make with an animal is greater than that with a person. Have seen examples before and you can see the love in the horses eyes.

MrWolf
05-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Thank you.

w5pv
05-25-2016, 09:33 AM
A true hero,hard to see through moist eyes

starmac
05-25-2016, 12:17 PM
A very touching story, but now I have found out I ain't human, what I am??

My wife has been telling me this for years, now I find out she was right. lol

tygar
05-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Let him have a great horse ranch in the sky! I'm with him, I loved my horses & dogs. Had my stud for 33yrs.

Bzcraig
05-26-2016, 12:37 AM
thanks for the post Sam!

Teddy (punchie)
05-26-2016, 06:06 AM
Thanks for sharing

jetinteriorguy
05-26-2016, 06:19 AM
It's men like this we will honor this weekend. I salute you.

buckwheatpaul
05-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Father walk with Roberto and his family today and support them through this difficult time. Amen

OS OK
05-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Animals know... and show so much compassion...

When I came back from neck surgery my cat Tigger who I raised form a tiny handful of fur hopped on the back of my chair where he normally hangs out then very gently snuggled into my neck but left the incision site alone. He stayed like that for an hour until I had to get up and move.

My wife said that when I returned from a spinal fusion operation that one of our cats were always with me, either on the bed or chair beside or in my lap, especially 'Spunky Monkey' the one I raised from a fur-ball.
She said that when one got down another would take it's place in less than a couple minutes. Animals are much more than we give them credit for.
The picture alone with the horse sniffing like that says it all.
When will we ever 'loose' this thing called 'war'?

OS OK

Muskyhunter1
05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
God bless - I guess I must be still human too.

Thanks.

OBIII
05-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Thank you, especially considering the date.

jonp
05-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Guess I'm not human. Things like that don't make me cry. Pretty nice, though

Butler Ford
05-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Touching story, however, questionable reporting; Horses he raised for decades, paralyzed during Viet Nam war, entered hospital in 1974...them's some OLD horses!

BF

Smoke4320
05-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Heart tugging story.
Sounds like he was a great man

smokeywolf
05-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Touching story, however, questionable reporting; Horses he raised for decades, paralyzed during Viet Nam war, entered hospital in 1974...them's some OLD horses!

BF

'74 was the first time he had an appointment at or was admitted to that particular hospital. He has not stayed at that hospital for 42 years.