PDA

View Full Version : I'm outta comission for a while

Ohio Rusty
05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Last Thursday I had my rotator cuff tendon re-attached in my right shoulder. I'm right handed and can't do anything hardly. I feel liike a potted plant !!! I think 8 weeks out of service and not working. I can't melt lead, reload or any thing else. I did get the opportunity to order my .380 auto dies, the .380 Lee FCD and a FCD for .38/357 with the Goobermint stimulus check. It will be a while until I get to use them. Best to get them bought before they go even higher in price.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts to pass the time over the next 2 months. I CAN go out to the garage and fondle the boolets I recently cast .... that is something anyway ........
Ohio Rusty ><>

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
sounds like a good time to learn to shoot weak handed.
thats about how i learned.

NSP64
05-14-2008, 10:46 PM
sounds like a good time to learn to shoot weak handed.
thats about how i learned.

I second that!! You can practice the 1 hand reload and weak hand shooting:-D I would even try reloading left handed:drinks: When life throws you lemons.......:Fire:

dakotashooter2
05-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I had it done about a year ago. Doc let me go back to work after two weeks. Took calls and typed reports with my left hand. At 3 weeks he let me go out and read electrical meters, again mostly left handed. I was also sizing and depriming brass about this time. After about six weeks he told me I could do most of what I wanted as long as I kept my elbow tucked close to my body. Definetly keep on top of the therapy. It hurts like he!! but if they can't get it limbered up soon after the surgery the range of motion will always be limited.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2008, 03:14 AM
prayers for a speedy recovery. I know what its like not to be able to do what you love and feel for you.
Last Thursday I had my rotator cuff tendon re-attached in my right shoulder. I'm right handed and can't do anything hardly. I feel liike a potted plant !!! I think 8 weeks out of service and not working. I can't melt lead, reload or any thing else. I did get the opportunity to order my .380 auto dies, the .380 Lee FCD and a FCD for .38/357 with the Goobermint stimulus check. It will be a while until I get to use them. Best to get them bought before they go even higher in price.

Looking forward to reading everyone's posts to pass the time over the next 2 months. I CAN go out to the garage and fondle the boolets I recently cast .... that is something anyway ........
Ohio Rusty ><>

StrawHat
05-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I know what you mean, I had a shoulder replaced about a year ago.

Taught myself to do a lot left handed prior to surgery but forgot about buttons and zippers.

Of the two, learn the zipper, you can always leave your shirt unbuttoned....

Good luck and a speedy recovery. Stay with the therapy, as has been said, the range of motion stuff is important. Strength will come back in time.

Boerrancher
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Best of luck to you friend and a speedy recovery. I know all about shoulder surgery and recovery. I have a scar that starts on my shoulder blade and runs over the top all the way back down to my arm pit. It would be on my right side and I am right handed. It took me a while to learn to do things differently, but I figured them out, and I know you will do the same. As others have said it is a great time to strengthen that weak hand shooting. Also as others have stated range of motion is key, if you don't work to get it back, you may never get all your strength back.

Best wishes and Gods speed on your recovery

44man
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I worked for United Air Lines for 42 years. It was a common injury and both of my daughters had the problem and surgery.
I escaped all of the shoulder problems because I shot heavy archery equipment all of my life and even at 70 years old, I still shoot 82#.
The rotator is the easiest thing to injure if not kept strong. It only takes a few pounds handled wrong to screw you up.
I am a firm believer that shooting bows can help prevent injury.

floodgate
05-15-2008, 08:45 PM
44man:

I'm with you on that. I think that archery is the greatest whole-body isometric exercise there is - and fun besides. I need to get back into it again. Even with a 50# Bear Kodiak, three or four rounds would leave me pleasantly weary from neck to ankles, not to mention arms, wrists and shoulders. My wife keeps asking me to set up a range on our 5 acres - she loves it too, and it's been 'way too long...

Floodgate

badgeredd
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Ohio Rusty ><>

Have a rapid and complete recovery. January last year I knocked a 750# steel plate over onto myself, slamming it into my left leg and messing up my knee while breaking my ankle. A quick trip to the hospital, an orthopedic surgeon with a Black & Decker and 2 drywall screws (not really, but they do look like them) I was back together again. That is when I discovered this forum. Lurked for about a year and decided to get in on the fun a while back. If nothing else these guys are entertaining! I've been laid off since January of this year and just returned to work today. Gonna miss being on here and reading the post. God's speed to your recovery.

carpetman
05-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Dakotashooter---you read meters left handed? Never saw a braille electric meter.

encoreman
05-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Will keep you in my prayers. I know what it is like to be laid up also. Had a 3 wheeler accident in '90 put my leg shin in 15 pcs. stayed inside for 30 days, I suppose it was sort of like solitary confinement. The comments on weak hand shooting is a good idea. Hope it all works out okay. Mac

10-x
05-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Hope you have a speedy recovery. Plenty of time to read ,surf this site, and try things left handed. Back in the 90's I had carpaletunnel(sp?) surgery on my right wrist , know how it is. Wore a bandage for about 3 weeks, had to put a garbage bag over my hand and arm to take a shower, what a bite.:drinks:

James C. Snodgrass
05-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I feel for you. They said getting dressed was hard ,I would rate that as minimal, I would say using the rest room is the most difficult thing to do. I'm sure you can over come this set back and continue to plug away at it. I lost all use of my right hand for about two years and have about 50% use of two fingers on it now and have gotten very used to it. I won't lie and say that it is all the same as before but it beats the hell out of the hook they were offering me for awhile. And look at the bright side of it you can catch up on lubing bullets and sorting and organizing your loading stuff. Good luck James:coffee:

StrawHat
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Ohio Rusty,

How is the patient?

Haven't seen your posting, is all okay?

Throckmorton
05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Been there and done that on the cuff surgery.yes,it's a long haul depending on the severeity....mine was pretty danged severe the doc said.:(
Had to lift my arm up and lay it on the desk to be able to write orders, learned to leave my shoes tied loosely in case no one was home when time to get dressed,lol.

HOping for a good recovery for ya.

Dale53
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Ohio Rusty;
We're pulling for you. Hang in there, do your therapy religiously, and GET WELL SOON!!

Dale53

Ohio Rusty
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Things are improving !!! It's been several weeks since my first post. Therapy is coming along, albeit quite painful. I've started using my right hand for small things like writing, and I've started using both hands for typing. I have it currently in the sling, but I've been weaning myself from the sling little by little. Hopefully, by next weekend, I can stop wearing it for good and be able to sleep in the bed again !! I now own my first pair of velcro-strapped tennis shoes. They work well.
I look forward to getting some bullets run thru the reloaders soon. This week, I'm taking the swaged pocket out of the military .38 brass using the drill press part I made. I can do that without any fear of messing up my rotator cuff surgery. That is pretty much a one hand process anyway. I hate this getting old stuff ............
Ohio Rusty ><>

Dale53
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Ohio Rusty;
Don't try to do too much, too soon. That is the curse of ALL of us male types (women are often smarter than we are regarding this kind of stuff). Go slow, do your therapy, and have NO back sets.

I hope to see you recovered soonest!

Dale53