PDA

View Full Version : Teflon tape....

Bad Karma
05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I've been casting for a few years and have found that wrapping my .45 ACP RCBS 200SWC boolits with teflon tape then sizing them to .452" does have some interesting effects on accuracy. I tried the Rooster Red Zambini and was less than impressed. I like the beeswax/alox stuff as a all around lube. I tried the teflon idea after reading an article in Hanloader magazine.
So for my control I cast 100 of these little guys and lubed 50 with the usual beeswax stuff and wrapped the other 50 with Teflon tape. I gave it about 2 1/2 turns around each then put them through my Lyman 450. I seated them on 6.0gr of Unique using brass form the range, prepped of course.
I shot them out of my S&W 625-4 4". The Teflon jobbers shot about 1/3 tighter group than the traditional beeswax mix. The other side effect is that what looks like smoke is actually finely shredded Teflon tape. I didn't chronograph them but I also do the same thing for my S&W 610 10mm with a 6 1/2 barrel.
Anyone else try Teflon tape? I want to try this with my rifle boolits but I think I'll try it with my .22 Hornet.

leftiye
05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
B.K. Intersting report. And useful to me, as I'm intrested in this subject. Bad news is I haven't tried it yet. There's been reports of using teflon tape as a variation on paper patching for over 20 years that I'm aware of, mostly with what are typified as good results. Not fantastic, but not negative, by and large. Sorry I can't contribute anything better. I will follow this thread though.

jhalcott
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
bad, I have tried it on 7mm .30 ,35 and .45-70 bullets. One mold I have is a FAT 270 one that drops a .284 bullet. I double wrap it with teflon and get great results in my TC/U barrels. A 311466 and 467 mold works quite well in my 30-30 contender . I can use them with out sizing if cast from softer alloys than WW.

Ricochet
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
I don't think I'd want to breathe finely atomized Teflon.

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 10:36 PM
pipe . tape . finely . extruded
pure.teflon.finely.extruded
whatever wrapped pipe with it for 7 years and i aint puttin it in any of my guns.
got about a gallon of the liquid stuff,that ain't goin in them either...

MT Gianni
05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Make sure that you wrap with the twist of the rifiling instead of against it. Gianni

Bad Karma
05-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Make sure that you wrap with the twist of the rifiling instead of against it. Gianni

Without question. I haven't tried the yellow tape for sealing gas pipe yet. It's thicker and will fill the grooves quite well.

snuffy
05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19969&highlight=teflon+tape

Here's my experience with it. Gave up on the idea, it's much easier to just lube with javalina lube, and it works better. Oh, I got leading, no matter if wrapped with one, two, or even 3 layers, or to what size they were.

jhalcott
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
The Teflon tape I have is WHITE. I have 1/2 and 3/4" rolls of it. Unless you are shooting into the wind you will not have to inhale it. I have used it with and without any other lube. I haven't had a problem yet, SO what should I be looking for as far as problems go?

Bad Karma
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
The Teflon tape I have is WHITE. I have 1/2 and 3/4" rolls of it. Unless you are shooting into the wind you will not have to inhale it. I have used it with and without any other lube. I haven't had a problem yet, SO what should I be looking for as far as problems go?
Well, as I found out the alloy needs to be hard. The idea was to get as high a velocity as possible. The pressure has to be about 28,000psi to keep it from leading. Lower velocities will lead. Wierd.
You see, I had a really bad experience with the harder lubes. The Rooster Red Zambini was so hard that even with the heater going for an hour it was difficult to flow into the sizing die and then it popped the bottom out of my Lyman 450. When that happened I was unable to use any lube until I fixed it. Then I turned to the teflon.

Hey has anyone tried a lithium grease thats hard, or mixed it with beeswax?