PDA

View Full Version : Fly(er)

Tatume
05-23-2016, 12:15 PM
This morning I was shooting nice little groups at 100 yards with my Contender. When I looked through the spotting scope after one shot, I was dismayed to see the hole an inch outside the group. Then, as I watched, the hole walked back into the group. It was a fly(er)! :-)

44man
05-23-2016, 12:25 PM
You are a nut! I did about the same once when using a blow gun. I pinned a fly to the barn wall and told the brother in laws I seen it and shot it. Yeah, sure but my reputation started.

45-70 Chevroner
05-23-2016, 01:20 PM
I can actually do that pin a fly to the way trick with a blow gun dart but only when I' m buy my self with no one watching, :kidding::wink:.

Victor N TN
05-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Several years ago when I was shooting benchrest, after a match several of us were practicing and adjusting loads, I nailed a fly at 100 yards. But let me ad that was with a 45X scope and a new barrel. The best part it was watched by 2 witnesses who saw it through their scopes. Both were hoot'n & hollering. But I kept the target for years.

runfiverun
05-23-2016, 10:28 PM
I have a lot of fly's between my bench and my target.
did you know hitting one in mid-air will deflect your properly aimed boolit away from where it was going?

Geezer in NH
05-23-2016, 10:59 PM
I have shot at the fly on the target at several ML competition as long as it was a re-entry match.

When you hit it sometimes there is a goo or blood spot on the target.

That was a great target never mind the score!!!!!

JeffinNZ
05-24-2016, 12:30 AM
I have had the same experience. The moving bullet hole.

OS OK
05-24-2016, 02:15 AM
Down in Texas we just shoot one wing off as they buzz the 100 yard target…then they just go round in circles the rest of the day...:bigsmyl2:

dudel
05-24-2016, 08:54 AM
Down in Texas we just shoot one wing off as they buzz the 100 yard target…then they just go round in circles the rest of the day...:bigsmyl2:

At our range, we only shoot the males. So they don't reproduce.

Half Dog
05-24-2016, 09:08 AM

That is exactly right but once I accidentally hit a female. The following week was better because I brought a scoped rifle.

OS OK
05-24-2016, 09:16 AM

"Well…I guess that I don't have to say this for your particular benefit, but for the others…'The first liar doesn't stand a chance in Texas!'…:bigsmyl2:."

44man
05-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Love it but you miss my problem---Gnats, need a gnat gun!

dudel
05-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Or an assault rifle (a salt rifle)! http://bugasalt.com/

Echo
05-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Good Grief...

44man
05-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Dang, I love you guys.

Victor N TN
05-24-2016, 05:07 PM
6mm PPC Farley dual port action in a Terry Leonard Redwood and carbon fiber stock, Johnson Precision 65 grain bullet @ aprox. 3200 fps. UNAKA Rifle and Revolver Club, 100 Yard Benchrest Range, Johnson City TN. Witnessed by Gene Clark and Matthew Keller

45-70 Chevroner
05-25-2016, 10:52 PM
I have a lot of fly's between my bench and my target.
did you know hitting one in mid-air will deflect your properly aimed boolit away from where it was going?
That's as good an excuse as any, I use it all the time. Lots of fly's at most of the shoots I go to.

runfiverun
05-26-2016, 09:57 AM
it's a lot easier than trying to explain how a particle of sunlight actually pushed it away.

when you start getting out the charts and graphs and plotting the time/distance of where the sun would have been in relationship to your target when the particle was sent out just so you can show why the extraneous hole went where it did...things just start going south with the crowd of listeners.

OS OK
05-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Zeroing a scope at 200 yards, 168 gr. BTHP's @ 2600 FPS, .308W.

first shot…3 irregular shape holes that looked like shrapnel…what?
Second…..1 hole, 10-O-clock 3 inches out, OK, lets see if a couple more nest in there before making any adjustment.
third……….several more shrapnel looking holes…what's going on here? These are quality Speer rounds, They can't be coming apart, besides it's a 1:12 twist!

That was enough to get me to walk out there to see what was happening. Sure enough, shrapnel holes…how can this be? As I turned to look back at the shooting bench I noticed a very small dead bush about 10 yards in front of the target. This bush didn't show up in my scope set at 24 power, it just wasn't there. As I examined the bush the twigs were as small as a toothpick. How could something that small frag my rounds? I yanked and stomped until that bush was out of the way.
The rest of the shots that day were one-holers, confirming in my mind that the small twigs had done the fragmenting. It changed my mind about just how much brush can really do in a hunting scenario, brush that will not even show up in the lens yet it is still there.

Could explain some shots/misses we all have made in the past that left us wondering…"No-way...what happened?"

OS OK

44man
05-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Zeroing a scope at 200 yards, 168 gr. BTHP's @ 2600 FPS, .308W.

first shot…3 irregular shape holes that looked like shrapnel…what?
Second…..1 hole, 10-O-clock 3 inches out, OK, lets see if a couple more nest in there before making any adjustment.
third……….several more shrapnel looking holes…what's going on here? These are quality Speer rounds, They can't be coming apart, besides it's a 1:12 twist!

That was enough to get me to walk out there to see what was happening. Sure enough, shrapnel holes…how can this be? As I turned to look back at the shooting bench I noticed a very small dead bush about 10 yards in front of the target. This bush didn't show up in my scope set at 24 power, it just wasn't there. As I examined the bush the twigs were as small as a toothpick. How could something that small frag my rounds? I yanked and stomped until that bush was out of the way.
The rest of the shots that day were one-holers, confirming in my mind that the small twigs had done the fragmenting. It changed my mind about just how much brush can really do in a hunting scenario, brush that will not even show up in the lens yet it is still there.

Could explain some shots/misses we all have made in the past that left us wondering…"No-way...what happened?"

OS OK
Yes, had the same with a .220 Swift, blade of grass.

OS OK
05-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Yep…It still dumbfounds me to this day, but dang if it doesn't do it! That experience was an eye-opener for me!
Something so small and fragile, yet fragging a powerful speeding projectile like that?

Down in Texas in the 60's the experienced hunters would tell us kids…"Don't hunt without a .30/30, they are 'brushbusters'!"
It makes me wonder just how true that statement really was?

I thought I would be ahead of them all by getting the .444 Marlin…prolly was just as affected, I dunnoh really?

Swede44mag
05-26-2016, 04:18 PM
While deer hunting during muzzleloader season I had a chance to take a nice fat doe it was about a 40 yard shot but all I could see was her head.
I took my time and aimed between her eyes squeezed the trigger when the smoke cleared the doe was gone.
I said what the he** my friend came over we started looking for blood trail always got to give it your best try.
My friend found a small thin (did I say thin) limb, more like a twig sticking out sideways that had been shot clean off.
I stooped down from where the nice fat doe was to look at the tree stand and sure enough the limb/twig was in the way.
100 grains of GOEX and a 44 XTP from my Knight MK85 and one darn twig cost me a nice fat doe.
So much for busting the brush I guess I should have been glad it wasn't a fly.

leeggen
05-26-2016, 09:34 PM
OS OK of the first 16 only one has a target to back his story.
CD

rwadley
05-27-2016, 07:52 AM
While deer hunting during muzzleloader season I had a chance to take a nice fat doe it was about a 40 yard shot but all I could see was her head.
I took my time and aimed between her eyes squeezed the trigger when the smoke cleared the doe was gone.
I said what the he** my friend came over we started looking for blood trail always got to give it your best try.
My friend found a small thin (did I say thin) limb, more like a twig sticking out sideways that had been shot clean off.
I stooped down from where the nice fat doe was to look at the tree stand and sure enough the limb/twig was in the way.
100 grains of GOEX and a 44 XTP from my Knight MK85 and one darn twig cost me a nice fat doe.
So much for busting the brush I guess I should have been glad it wasn't a fly.

Thomas Tabor wrote an article in Handloaders digest 12th edition called ''Bullets can bust brush''.

Also Outdoor Life and The Box of Truth have done experiments on this topic.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2014/05/how-much-does-brush-deflect-rifle-bullet
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-40-deflected-bullets-and-the-box-o-truth/

OS OK
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
OS OK of the first 16 only one has a target to back his story.
CD

Don't think I get what you mean? What?

runfiverun
05-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Charlie:
he is talking about the posters.

OS OK
05-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Posters? Do you mean target pictures? All I have are of the previous days ladder workups. Is he calling me a liar without saying so directly?
I'm somewhat naive this morning. Not quite ready for a good fight.

dudel
05-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Posters? Do you mean target pictures? All I have are of the previous days ladder workups. Is he calling me a liar without saying so directly?
I'm somewhat naive this morning. Not quite ready for a good fight.

I could be wrong, but are those powder burns on the target? :kidding:

OS OK
05-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Ha!...Then you know how I get the 5 shot groups in 1 hole every time?
You know about the muzzle flash setting the targets on fire before I can snap a pic...:bigsmyl2:

runfiverun
05-27-2016, 02:34 PM
he was talking about the posts on the previous page and all the baloney.
there was only one picture with a target actually hitting a fly.

I think he missed the point of having fun.

dubber123
05-27-2016, 02:58 PM
I ran a falling plates pistol shoot for 7 years. We had a guy on the rifle range come over and tell us we were shooting over the berm and hitting his 200 meter target. I laughed and said this bunch of jokers couldn't hit it on a bet with our pistols. (Not really kidding). He came back a while later and said all the holes flew away when he went to retrieve his target :)

dudel
05-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Ha!...Then you know how I get the 5 shot groups in 1 hole every time?
You know about the muzzle flash setting the targets on fire before I can snap a pic...:bigsmyl2:

Try misting the targets down first!

OS OK
05-27-2016, 11:51 PM
:killingpc…Why didn't I think of that?

Tatume
05-31-2016, 10:56 AM
In my neighborhood mosquitoes are considered medium big game.