PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92, Finally!

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Was trolling the used gun rack yesterday and an 1895 Marlin caught my eye. Forgot all about it when I saw a Rossi 92 in 38/357 right next to it, lol. Been looking for one of these for at least three years, now have a Rossi to go with my Winchesters, Marlins and a Savage. Action is slicker than I was expecting even though it is a fairly new (but gently used) model. Fit & finish is good, will probably just leave it as is. Feeding a bit balky; bullet nose was catching at the top of the chamber (yep, all I could find was some old J-word factory duty rounds 8-)) so will have to address that once I find a mould. I have some Delta Precision cast 158's around here somewhere, will see how they do.
Sights need a bit of work, suspect they are regulated for 38's.
That safety on the bolt will have to go, will have to see if I can find that the thread about the peep sight that looks so nice there. ;-)
Sweet little gun, I think we'll have a lot of fun together.

claude
05-22-2016, 05:22 PM
I picked one up with the 24" barrel last year, they are a lot of fun and better than pretty fair shooters. I settles on the Accurate 36-165MG and have had good performance with it. Many have stated that they are finicky feeders and won't digest SWC's well, however I found mine will feed Lee's C358-158 SWC if I seat them long and crimp at the forward most lube groove. I still prefer the 36-165 though. I haven't had a chance to try 180gr boolits yet, but sooner or later I will try those as well.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-165MG-D.png

shoot-n-lead
05-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Good find and I think that you will really enjoy that little gun.

My family gave me one for my retirement, about a month ago...and I LOVE it. Actually, at the time, I had a hard time trying to find one, finally had to go to Gunbroker to get it. I was kind of scared as I have read all of the stuff about them. This one came out of the box working well...after 500rds, it is as smooth as a whistle and shoots everything VERY well. I really only shoot one bullet in .357...Lee 158gr RNFP, 90% of the time...and it works great with them. I have not tried any swc's as I don't shoot them anymore, but it will probably be like most levers...a little jerky, with them.

Mauser48
05-22-2016, 07:08 PM
I really need to take the plunge and buy one! I have read all the horror stories about them and that steered me away. Lately I have seen A LOT of people that are extremely happy with them. If it feeds .38s good than I need one, especially if it works with swc's. If it doesn't work with swc bullets then that's not a deal breaker. Good find TX! Is it blued or stainless? How many inch barrel? I was looking at the 20 inch blued round barrel.

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 07:38 PM
It's a 20# blue carbine. I'm hoping I can get it to feed 38's as I have thousands of them that aren't quite worn out yet. I'm leaning towards a WFN boolit for this project.

modified5
05-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Awesome find! Last I saw one they wanted $650 for a used one! Had to pass on that.
My .44 magnum Rossi was only $400 on sale.
One will make its way into my stables I'm sure.
I know what you mean about that unsightly lawyer safety. It's the only thing I despise about mine.

DerekP Houston
05-22-2016, 10:44 PM
congrats! so far mine prefers RN designs but who knows about yours. slicks up pretty easy with sandpaper and a file, knock off that stupid safety and put in a peep site or a plug.

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Been a good night in the gun safe and on the keyboard! Found well over a thousand 158 SWC's and even a few hundred loaded 38's with that boolit. They've been ballast in my safe for over 15 yrs now. Just cycled several thru the new Rossi and once I remembered to work the finger lever "smartly" I found this little rifle feeds those SWC 38's just fine!
Paid a visit to Steve's Gunz and have a bolt mounted peep sight and his DVD headed my way.

Mauser48
05-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Keep us posted! Nice to know it feeds 38's and swc's! Do you know what the seat depth is on them?

KCcactus
05-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Both of my Rossi 92s have the Stevesgunz peep sight that replaces the safety. With my aging eyes, it was a big improvement. You will probably want to replace the extactor spring, too. The factory spring almost launched empties into orbit. I've used a variety of boolits in 38 and 357 cases with no issues, except for wadcutters in 38 brass. WC work just fine in 357 cases. My 44 likes WC, too. My most used loads in both are backwards HBWC in mag cases. Water filled milk jugs are lots of fun.

Artful
05-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Just to put a bug in your ear so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-knJmz6HE0

Little alteration I found I really liked on my Rossi 92

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 11:14 PM
Keep us posted! Nice to know it feeds 38's and swc's! Do you know what the seat depth is on them?

Hard to say, I seat them with just a bit of the driving band above the case mouth. These are commercial cast so that isn't much help. Appears to be Precision Delta's version of the H&G 51 and OAL is 1.490". I loaded these back when I was a PPC competitor, we used this round in our "stock" guns.

DerekP Houston
05-22-2016, 11:14 PM
oh man Art, I was just thinking about getting in to tax stamps. Never seen one on a lever gun....

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure this load will be subsonic, not much on cans but it obviously works quite well.

Mk42gunner
05-22-2016, 11:31 PM
I too finally succumbed to the Rossi 92. I found a blued 20" in .45 Colt yesterday, as new in box. No idea on its likes or dislikes yet.

I must say that it is considerably slicker than the Marlin 1894CB from about 2000.

Funny, I have had a variety of lever actions over the years, but never a Model 92. Judging from this one example, I have been missing a lot of fun.

Robert

TXGunNut
05-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Must admit, Robert, the 1894CB is a bit higher on my wish list than the Rossi 92. Never had one but have wanted one since I first handled one. Congrats on your find, my 45 Colt lever gun happens to be a Winchester 94AE Trapper that has been a safe queen for 20+ years. Probably just as well, from what I hear.
Glad to hear your action is slick, was beginning to wonder about mine. I was a bit surprised to find mine was so slick after reading all the bad press. Looking forward to hearing reports on your new Rossi.

northmn
05-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Already commented on your other thread. Mine feeds about everything but a very flat nosed 158 grain bullet which is almost like a wadcutter with a crimping groove place further back. As to SWC's it seems to feed them better.
Most of the "horror" stories I have heard about them are usually based on "purists" who do not like anything but a Marlin or Winchester and then there are those that think if you do not pay a mint for a rifle it is no good. There is a good chance that with modern metalurgy they are tougher than an original 92. Doesn't much matter to me as I really prefer to shoot more moderate loads in mine with hard cast bullets for smaller game. When I carried it out last fall during deer season I loaded it with some factory 158 grain fodder which it feeds just fine.
38's don't hurt them but I klind of prefer to shoot loaded down 357's to keep the chamber cleaner. Doubt if its necessary but its my little quirk.

DP

w30wcf
05-23-2016, 09:33 AM
It's a 20# blue carbine. I'm hoping I can get it to feed 38's as I have thousands of them that aren't quite worn out yet. I'm leaning towards a WFN boolit for this project.

A WFN bullet may not be the best choice. I have owned a Rossi 20" .357 since the mid 1990's. One of the first loadings I tried was a 180 LBT bullet in .357 Magnum brass over 16/296 which clocked close to 1,700 f.p.s. They shot fine when I was single loading them and testing for accuracy. HOWEVER, when I stuffed several in the magazine...... the first round came up the lifter fine but I could not begin to close the action because a round slid in under the lifter, tying up the gun.Hmmm...how did that happen?

I had to remove the magazine tube to get the round out from under the lifter. In checking into the issue, I found that the wide nose of the bullet had engaged the cartridge stop when the lifter was on the way up, allowing the next cartridge to slid in under the lifter.

Switching to 38 special brass with that bullet resolved the issue.

w30wcf

fecmech
05-23-2016, 10:57 AM
For an extremely accurate plinker in that gun the Lee 125 RF with 5-5.5/231 or 4.2-4.7/Bullseye in mag cases will give you 1200+ fps and sub 3" 10 shot 100 yd groups. The Lee 158 TLSWC and 5 grs of Unique in .38 spl cases feeds well and is subsonic (1050 fps). It shoots well to 100yds though not quite as good as the 125. These loads have been shot in 3 different Rossi 92's with excellent results.

Rebel Dave
05-23-2016, 01:34 PM
The only bad thing about my Rossi' is that "Rossi WILL NOT SELL YOU SOME OF THE PARTS." If the parts you need are on their "restricted list", you are out of luck. They want you to send the rifle back, and that is a whole nuther story. I have 3 Rossi', and they araccurate, and fun to shoot, but thats where it ends. Rossi has terrible customer service.

Rebel Dave

buckwheatpaul
05-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Just to put a bug in your ear so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-knJmz6HE0

Little alteration I found I really liked on my Rossi 92

Artful, You really got my attention with the suppressor.....never really thought about putting one on a lever gun.....I LIKE IT!

TXGunNut
05-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tip on the WFN, 30WCF. That hadn't occurred to me. I'm still amazed that it feeds 38's and the SWC will suit me fine. I seriously doubt I'll ever take this rifle hunting so anything that flies straight and punches paper works for me. I've seen some incredible groups with this load in a 6" 586 @ 50 yds. This is going to be fun, may even get nostalgic and break out a PPC gun and see if I can still shoot it.

shoot-n-lead
05-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the tip on the WFN, 30WCF. That hadn't occurred to me. I'm still amazed that it feeds 38's and the SWC will suit me fine. I seriously doubt I'll ever take this rifle hunting so anything that flies straight and punches paper works for me. I've seen some incredible groups with this load in a 6" 586 @ 50 yds. This is going to be fun, may even get nostalgic and break out a PPC gun and see if I can still shoot it.

Just for the record, the bullet that I have shot most in mine, so far, the Lee 158gr RNFP ( almost identical to the NOE 360 180gr WFN) ...is essentially, a WFN...large meplat, and it works like a charm in mine. I guess, it is just different guns have different tastes in bullets they like to feed. So, yours will be like ours, trial and error proposition. This pleases me as I use mine for hunting and these WFN bullets just work better for me than swc's...so, I do not cast swc's of any style, anymore. Matter of fact, I only have one swc mold, left. I, now, shoot these bullets almost exclusively in all of my .357 firearms.

bullseye67
05-23-2016, 11:16 PM
Good find. I have been watching for a rifle 20 or 24 inch.
My favorite fun shooter is a Rossi "Mares Leg" in 357. I added a peep and a full buttstock(yes, completely legal where I live)to make it a short barreled rifle. I shoot the LEE 158 RNFP. Cast, cool, TL 45/45/10, load and shoot. If yours is as much fun as mine...stock up on Russian SPP I go through 1000's. Excellent plinker and with enough power to use for big varmits(coyotes) or as a truck gun.

Now if they would allow a "can" here if would be perfect!

noisewaterphd
05-24-2016, 12:00 AM
I *really* like the Rossi 92. I've never gotten a bad example of one in 6 buys.

I have the means to purchase "better" lever actions, but I just keep going for the Rossi. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they don't ruin a good thing.

I think the only lever actions I enjoy shooting more are the Savage 99's, but they are a different breed entirely IMO.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Artful
05-24-2016, 12:17 AM
Artful, You really got my attention with the suppressor.....never really thought about putting one on a lever gun.....I LIKE IT!

I'm going to do a Form 1 can in 45 caliber to use with 358, 375, 44, and 45 caliber. It's just a matter of approval, money and time.

winelover
05-24-2016, 08:06 AM
About two years ago, I walked into the LGS and they had a new Rossi 92 38/357 in the rack priced at $360. Told them I would take it if it would feed cast. Went and made some dummy rounds up, with RCBS's 158 SWC's in both 38 and 357 varieties. Returned and randomly loaded them into the magazine tube. All fed and ejected, gun came home with me.

Since then, I have picked up NOE's 180 RNFP (solid) mould and that would be my bullet choice for deer. Feeds without a hitch and is minute of deer at 50-60 yards. I'm using the load data out of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual for their 180 Silhouette bullet with 2400 powder.

For pest control, Lyman's (9 mm) 120 TC bullet is my choice. Prints to same POA at 20-25 yards as the NOE 180, so no sight adjustment needed.

Winelover

Mike Malat
05-24-2016, 08:48 AM
I have a Rossi 92 CB and it feeds and shoots the Lee 125, 158s as well as the RD TLC 175 and 190 gr boolits well. Take a look at Ranch Dogs site rossi-rifleman.com for his experiences with the Rossi lever guns. I've worked up some of the 190gr loads based on his experiences posted on his site and have managed a 23 shot group of about 2.5" @ 100yds with peep sights.

Congrats on your purchase.

northmn
05-24-2016, 09:07 AM
I have tried the Lee 158 RNFP in 357 and it does not feed reliably in my Rossi but in 38 special cases it is more reliable. I even tried Skeeter Skelton old 38 load where a bullet is loaded out further in a 38 special case and it feed fine. But I have noticed the complaints from users on these rifles tend to stem from those using them in cowboy shooting as an example. Smoothing them up and that sort of thing. Repeaters will be slightly more fussy than a revolver. They are not particularly fussy but may have a bullet or two they don't like. Not a big deal really.

DEP

MrWolf
05-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Nice job Art. I would not have thought about suppressing a lever.

Mark74a1
05-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Congrats on the find. I picked up one at a gun show about 3 years ago and loved it ever since. I normally target shoot with LRN in 38 but I have taken it hog hunting a few times using the hornady critical defense rounds in 357 and it did not disappoint. More importantly my kids like shooting it at the range better then any 22 I have gotten them.

Speedo66
05-25-2016, 04:23 PM
I you wish to install a scout scope, these people make a mount for it. If you remove the rear sight, you'll find it's drilled and tapped beneath it. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103&osCsid=25t3cm0034s41tgffa133ofce1

TXGunNut
05-25-2016, 09:35 PM
I you wish to install a scout scope, these people make a mount for it. If you remove the rear sight, you'll find it's drilled and tapped beneath it. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103&osCsid=25t3cm0034s41tgffa133ofce1

Thanks, actually kicking around a red-dot sight for it but for now I ordered plugs for those holes and a bolt-mounted peep from Steve's Gunz. With apologies to the late great Col. Cooper I'm not a fan of the Scout concept when it comes to optics.

Welcome to the forum, Mark. With all my old 38 ammo and components (with a Dillon die set standing by in a dedicated head!) shooting this rifle will be better than shooting free 22's and I'm enough of a tightwad to really enjoy it!

TXGunNut
05-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Got the peep sight in from Steve and watched his video tonight. Safety/sight pin was very tight, ruined two punches getting it out. I'll buy better ones next time. Very good video but this little rifle is already pretty slick. May have to take it apart to see why...after I watch that video one more time. ;-)
Range trip tomorrow!

EllasPapa
05-29-2016, 03:07 AM
I bought a 92 with a 24" barrel eight or nine years ago. Great shooter, but
it didn't fill a spot in my safe with anything I didn't already have. It got shot
the first year, then not much after and I eventually sold it.

A few few months ago a friend offered up a NIB 38/357 ranch hand at a fantastic price,
so I grabbed it. I immediately ordered a full length stock for it from Boyd's ( I'm in Canada
so there is no tax stamp or SBR nonsense), $55. On sale. I had it in a week, looks
great and it turned a "range toy" into the handiest little Carbine I've ever shot!

it's still TINY with a full stock on it; a touch over 29 inches. Extremely quick to get it
on your shoulder, quick to get sights on target, and after a half hour with the action
apart, smoothing any potential spots for burrs, rough machining etc. It runs really fast
and slick.

The he trigger really surprised me. Crisp at five pounds, and five minutes of stoning and it
breaks like a glass rod at 2.9 lbs.; no slack, no creep. It'll group four in. Offhand at 100yds
consistently, it'll take really stout loads and it's still just under five pounds.

does it sound like I'm fond of this rifle? I freaking LOVE this rifle!!! I've hardly shot anything else
in the last couple months! I'll be working up a deer load for it this fall, for sure.

Ural Driver
05-29-2016, 04:05 AM
As a companion gun to my Redhawk 45/45 I bought a stainless Rossi with a 20" barrel chambered in .45 Colt last year. Love the way it carries and it fits in my hand like it was made just for me. Gonna buy another in 357/38 to go along with my Blackhawk sometime after I get moved into the new house....:popcorn:.

TXGunNut
05-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Got the sights regulated today, old 158 gr SWC target loads worked great! Windage a bit of a concern, once I got the front sight drifted to where it needed to be it looked like it was going to fall off.:shock:

JohnH
05-29-2016, 10:33 PM
I bought a 24" octagonal barrel 38/357 at Christmas. Love it!!! Lee 158 RFN, 38 Special cases, 3.8 grains of TiteGroup. The Lee 158 RFN does not feed in my rifle in 357 Mag cases run through the magazine. Boolit nose hangs up on chamber mouth. It will feed Lee 158 TLSWC in magnum cases, but I simply enjoy the standard 38 Special load more. Everyone I've let shoot it at the range comes up all smiles. I have the 44 Mag '92 as well, but the 357 gets the most attention.

TXGunNut
05-29-2016, 10:48 PM
It certainly is a crowd-pleaser, JohnH. I had the entire rifle & pistol range to myself today so it's unanimous, this little carbine's a shooter! ;-)

Artful
05-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Got the sights regulated today, old 158 gr SWC target loads worked great! Windage a bit of a concern, once I got the front sight drifted to where it needed to be it looked like it was going to fall off.:shock:

Picture?

Does yours have the one built into the barrel/magazine band
http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/rossi10.jpg

or the dove tailed in behind the band?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/05/20/406331_03_rossi_92_357_lever_action_rifl_640.jpg

TXGunNut
05-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Front sight (brass bead) is dovetailed into barrel.

Artful
05-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Did you draft over just one or half and half ��

Old Ironsights
05-30-2016, 11:19 PM
oh man Art, I was just thinking about getting in to tax stamps. Never seen one on a lever gun....
The original Maxxim Silencer (tm) was a factory catalog option on Winchesters before the .gov got stupid.

Old Ironsights
05-30-2016, 11:25 PM
I'm going to do a Form 1 can in 45 caliber to use with 358, 375, 44, and 45 caliber. It's just a matter of approval, money and time.
If you don't care about MV, a 20" Rossi will push as-cast dead soft 358156 HPs out the tube with less sound than the hammer falling. Just cover your micro-loads with COW and let fly.

A subsonic 158hp was my go-to in-town 'coon round. I could pop 25-50yd 'coons from the upstairs bedroom window and wifey just below in the kitchen wouldn't notice at all.

TXGunNut
06-01-2016, 12:10 AM
If you don't care about MV, a 20" Rossi will push as-cast dead soft 358156 HPs out the tube with less sound than the hammer falling. Just cover your micro-loads with COW and let fly.

A subsonic 158hp was my go-to in-town 'coon round. I could pop 25-50yd 'coons from the upstairs bedroom window and wifey just below in the kitchen wouldn't notice at all.

My loads are pretty quiet even without a can. Learned long ago a single shot late at night is seldom noticed. Unless, of course, you're between two houses less than 20' apart. ;-)

No_1
06-01-2016, 12:20 AM
I have a couple Rossi lever guns and really like them. I am not fond of the factory sighting system but will fix that soon enough with the addition of a peep sight.

Old Ironsights
06-01-2016, 01:16 PM
My loads are pretty quiet even without a can. Learned long ago a single shot late at night is seldom noticed. Unless, of course, you're between two houses less than 20' apart. ;-)
I lived in a duplex condo arrangement. One shared wall and the next building was 15' away.

TXGunNut
06-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Finally found a round it wouldn't feed, lol. I tried to run some of my old match WC's thru it and the OAL was too short. Shot it while another rifle cooled, I like this little gun!

Artful
06-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Hmmm, what if you loaded you WC's in 357 magnum cases - I wonder.

fecmech
06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Mine will feed wadcutters in .38 cases if they are seated long and crimped in the middle lube groove or mag cases in the top groove.

rondog
06-06-2016, 11:28 AM
I have the purple hornies for a Rossi R92-52001, the '92 in .45 Colt with blued receiver and 24" octagonal barrel. I'm currently working on a huge batch of .223 brass getting ready to sell, to try and fund the purchase. Also have pistol brass to process, and some stuff in the garage to peddle.

Wife thinks I'm foolish, "you already have enough guns and "bullets" to blow up the world! You don't need another one!"

Silly wife, has nothing to do with "need".....

Artful
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Wait, Rondog has ammo that will blow up the world?
Do you own a Nuke50?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XX2lIT1tQ

TXGunNut
06-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Hmmm, what if you loaded you WC's in 357 magnum cases - I wonder.

Hard to say, haven't loaded a WC in anything for over 15 yrs. Haven't found many 357 cases anyway. This was some old PPC match ammo I had lying around. I have a bunch of mail order SWC's lying around and a Dillon that hasn't seen much action for quite awhile. I probably won't need a mould for a couple of years, will wait til Al puts one on sale, lol. Kind of funny burning up good match ammo plinking and goofing around it's been safe ballast for entirely too long. ;-)

Ed in North Texas
06-07-2016, 07:03 AM
I have a couple Rossi lever guns and really like them. I am not fond of the factory sighting system but will fix that soon enough with the addition of a peep sight.

If you use Steve's safety replacement aperture sight, turning the mounting piece 1/4 turn and filing a new groove for the pin is a vast improvement. I did the file and try and it took maybe five minutes to get a nice tight fit for the pin.

24" Octagon .45 Colt. The thing I like better about my Marlins is the ease in removing the bolt for cleaning from the chamber. One screw and done.

Mk42gunner
06-07-2016, 05:49 PM
I have the purple hornies for a Rossi R92-52001, the '92 in .45 Colt with blued receiver and 24" octagonal barrel. I'm currently working on a huge batch of .223 brass getting ready to sell, to try and fund the purchase. Also have pistol brass to process, and some stuff in the garage to peddle.

Wife thinks I'm foolish, "you already have enough guns and "bullets" to blow up the world! You don't need another one!"

Silly wife, has nothing to do with "need".....

Marvin the Martian will be calling you....

Robert

Artful
06-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Marvin the Martian will be calling you....

Robert
I loved him as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z40AsPaktzw