PDA

View Full Version : Moving reloading stuff sucks

dualityofman
05-22-2016, 02:29 PM
ETSed from the Army and finally was blessed with a great paying job in Columbus, OH - I figured all the PCSing and deploying I did moving would be simple.

Not even close - especially not the reloading stuff, word to the wise, keep the original boxes - I got a stripped 1050 and 650 in the 650 box and a tote full of just brass and powders.

Im moving into an apartment and will not have room for the reloading ****, anyone ever store stuff like this in a lockup or a year? Yeah I know - theivery whatever, all the powder is sealed up and all metal surfaces have been oil or greased as much as possible

Anyone else got their butts kicked by transporting all their gear across the country?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DerekP Houston
05-22-2016, 02:39 PM
I had all my gear boxed up in a closet after a move for around a year or 2 didn't hurt anything. If it is clean going in, should be fine. I'd keep it in a climate controlled area if possible for best shelf life on the powders.

Moonie
05-22-2016, 02:52 PM
I can relate, we have purchased a new house (close on the 15'th of next month) and cleaned our current one up to sell. 9 years worth of stuff, piled so much stuff in my man cave (outside storage building) I can't get to anything. I have need to reload some 300 AAC Blackout for a new Encore pistol barrel, 7.5" with suppressor.

mold maker
05-22-2016, 02:53 PM
I am still moving into a bigger house less than 2 blocks away and it still sucks. Why did I ever think I needed so much stuff?
A piece at a time over 60 years is a lot of stuff.

kingstrider
05-22-2016, 03:16 PM
I have PCSd twice in the last 4 years and let them handle all the heavy stuff like lead, bullets, brass, presses etc in addition to household goods. Both times I also did a partial DITY move using a U-Haul for everything else like guns, ammo, primers, powder etc. Not looking forward to the next move but hopefully it will be the last.

mtnman31
05-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Agreed, it's just miserable. Moving is one of the more stressful experiences. I can't wait to make my final move into my "forever" home.

skeettx
05-22-2016, 07:18 PM
YES, the Military has a used to be called Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move allowance for part of your move.
You can have the mover do the bulk of the stuff, but US will pay for the U-Haul
and weight for you to move some of your stuff.
Mike

p.s.

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/travelpay/armypcs/dityppmmoves.html

longranger
05-22-2016, 07:29 PM
I've done it 7 times in the last 10 years.I had placed everything in plastic totes color coded and zip tied closed.Powder,bullets,lead,primers.I was 10,000 lbs. over what a family of 4 in a 3 bedroom house typically has.I am now permanately settled in my last house.I kept my favorite and most valuable rifles and handguns with me.The rest were put in cases and tightly packed the gun safe after it was loaded into the van,locked by me.Stuff in storage for 2 years, SC and CA.The last moving company was fantastic and repackaged many personal items for long term storage.Moving company stored my belongings and delivered them where and when I wanted,worth every penny I spent.They were cheaper than unloading into a commercial rental space.Having to pick it up and move it more than necessary was not an option,they loaded and unloaded everything where I wanted it included in the price.

Ural Driver
05-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Closing on a new (much larger) place next month. I am not looking forward to moving all the stuff that I have accumulated that caused me to NEED to move to a bigger place....... going from 1100 sf on a very small city lot to 3100 sf with 3 acres, should gimme room to spread out a bit. Now I gotta get online and find me a metal shop building........ :coffeecom

waltherboy4040
05-22-2016, 08:08 PM
I have a big band locker on wheels that I store stuff in. Its a pain, but I love reloading so I deal with it.

dualityofman
05-22-2016, 08:25 PM
I cant wait to cash in on this separation voucher, gonna be a whole lot - 3 vehicles and my wife and kids and our ****.

I kinda wish someone in Mid Tenn would just buy it - I wont use it for awhile anyway

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Handloader109
05-22-2016, 08:38 PM
No fun moving. Moved several times when I was much younger. Had a house and large shop full of stuff in MS. Moved to AR and bought a home, slowly moved house items North, but shop stayed filled till I was able to sell the property. Moved it all into my garage and a new storage shed (12x24). Half filled to the top with stuff..... Lucked up on the current home that we anticipate to be the last. Plenty of room large basement and a shop building. My wife found a local company that we just paid to move by box and item. Best thing we could have done. They moved all my woodworking equipment and a truck full of boxes cheap. But it has taken us 6 months to get the house and shop organized and almost all the boxes gone. Lot of work and not much fun...

Mk42gunner
05-22-2016, 10:21 PM
I hear you on the pain of moving. I moved or transferred something like 23 or 27 times during my twenty years in the Navy, and I was in one house for four years and a few months at my last duty station.

It wasn't too bad when I was a young sailor, one seabag and a garment bag. Then it went to two seabags, then it got ridiculous.

After I retired, I said this is the last time I am moving. I need to do something about the old farmhouse I live in, but I really don't want to shift things around.

As far as renting storage units, you have to ask yourself some hard questions: Is there any sentimental value? Is there anything that can't be replaced? Can you get close to replacement cost if you sell the stuff?

There is an old saying, "Three moves equals one fire for getting rid of stuff."

Robert

Southern Son
05-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Our last move was four years ago. The moving company managed to damage the lock on my gun safe. Locksmith has no idea of how they could have done it accidentally. My wife was especially impressed with the care that they took of my Dillon 55ob. They wrapped the well oiled and greased press in our good bathroom towels.

lightman
05-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Moving is not much fun, thats for sure! I hope my moving days are over. The last time it took forever to organize my loading stuff and shop again. I have already started thinning things down in my preperations for the trip to the great beyond. When I had to retire I sold most of my electrical material and tools, a whole shop full. I think my kids actually gave a sigh of relief! I thinned out the safe and closet last winter. Theres still lots of stuff! I have more lead and more brass than I had then.

DerekP Houston
05-23-2016, 09:58 AM
It is hard for me to pass up on a good deal so the brass and lead keep accumulating. We've got a few more years until my son is old enough for school.

Smoke4320
05-23-2016, 10:04 AM
One word of advice... Store the powder in a plastic sealable tote .. At worst seal it with duct tape
DO NOT store the powders in a metal container in a public storage facility .

trapper9260
05-23-2016, 10:16 AM
In 95 when I end up moven 4 times in that year for how things went .I went from MA to AZ and move there 2 times on top of it and then to IA 2 times. I was sick of it then.Had put mainly all in storage the self ones. then in 2001 I move to where I am now . it is the last time. bought this place. All my reloading and also trapping things was in storage.But my guns was where I was staying.I know how it is.I say for the reloading things I would not worry about it .as for the Powder I say do what was said. Do not sell anything because it going to cost you more in the long run for the reloading things that is.Just like my trapping things some back in MA was thinking I would of sell everything .I did take all that was the the main things and that was it.Glad I did what I did in the end.

dverna
05-23-2016, 10:23 AM
I moved just over three years ago. Almost two tons of lead alloy, another two tons of shot. Seven progressives reloaders and four single stage presses. Over 125 cases (yes cases) of shotgun ammo and a lot of other ammo. Benches, casting and sizing equipment, 6 cases of wads, over 20,000 hulls, over 10,000 brass cases, powder (150 lbs), primers, etc etc.

Never again!!!

OS OK
05-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Store the powders in styrofoam coolers with the lids taped up to minimize air transfer from heat/cool extremes during weather or just day to night changes. Recheck each lid on each canister to insure they are tight and put each canister in a 1 quart zip-lock bag with the air squished out, prevent condensation on the canisters. The coolers will minimize the air temperature changes but will not stop the condensation from humidity changes, that's why I suggest the quart zip-locks.
Use a Marine wheel bearing grease to coat a generous film on all exposed metal parts of presses and dies can go into zip-locks also, the dies could be given a generous shot of WD-40 or your choice before going into zip-locks.
The time spent will be worth it when you unpack your gear months or years down range.

Thanks for your service…charlie

RogerDat
05-23-2016, 10:40 AM
I like an abandoned dog am happy to have found my forever home. I envy the "it took 6 months to get stuff unpacked" folks. Been 10 years since we moved and I'm just now getting to the end of the boxes. "Honey what do you want to do with these two boxes of movies on VHS tapes?" Now the basement, garage, and shed are stuffed. Added stuff for 10 years and unpacked the previous 10 years accumulation into it.

Me I'm fixing to garage sale at least twice this summer to thin things down. As soon as I get caught up on other projects. Want to bet on if that ever happens? What the heck kids can sort through it after I'm gone.

Bent Ramrod
05-23-2016, 12:01 PM
All the guns, ammo, components and reloading tools went into the back of my Toyota 4WD truck for the 6-1/2 hour trip to my retirement paradise. Couldn't leave it to anyone else.

At the end of the trip I felt like one of those Movie Cops who has finally delivered the witness to court after taking them through a gauntlet of gangsta, Mafia, Yakuza and Triad killers out to get them.

Moving is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. What a relief when it's over! Best of luck to you, and keep the powder and primers in moderate temperatures.

rr2241tx
05-23-2016, 12:20 PM
After experiencing numerous "3 Moves = 1 Fire" moves, we moved into our "Forever House" 22 years ago. Finding no really good Man Cave space in the new to us house, I expropriated a guest bedroom as the reloading and ammo storage facility. Fast forward to 2016 and the "Forever House" turns out to have water intrusion issues that necessitates removing the entire east wall. The reloading room is too small to accommodate a temporary load bearing wall, carpenters and my gear so it all had to be moved up one flight of stairs, loaded into my pickup and relocated across town. How in the world did all this STUFF get here and why does all of it have to be so freaking heavy? No way I'm ever moving any of that stuff back into that house, it's in the back room of my commercial building downtown and if I ever sell the property all that stuff transfers with the building, not lifting it again.