PDA

View Full Version : More Gun Laws on the Left Coast passed today

Artful
05-19-2016, 11:21 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_29913590/california-gun-control-senate-passes-first-few-series

California Senate passes sweeping new restrictions on firearms ownershttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site568/2016/0519/20160519__califguncontrol~1.JPG

SACRAMENTO -- Quickly moving from one bill to the next, the California Senate on Thursday approved a package of sweeping gun-control measures, setting up a showdown featuring top Democrats over how best to tackle one of the year's most incendiary issues.

The Senate approved legislation to regulate the sale of ammunition, close several loopholes in the state's assault weapons ban and establish a Firearm Violence Research Center at the University of California -- all over the objections of outnumbered Republican lawmakers.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, said he wants to use Thursday's votes to create enough momentum to carry the bills through the Assembly and to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk as soon as next week. Swift success, he hopes, will convince Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom to yank his gun control initiative from the November ballot.

But none of that will be easy. Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon, D-Paramount, has not yet endorsed de León's strategy. And Brown's position on the proposals -- some of which he has vetoed before -- remains unclear. On top of that, Newsom, who hopes the issue will propel his 2018 gubernatorial campaign, has vowed not to pull his measure from the ballot no matter what lawmakers do.

This year, sponsors of initiatives for the first time can choose to yank them from the ballot if the Legislature takes action and they're satisfied with the results.

De León and many other Democratic lawmakers argue that the bills passed Thursday by the Senate are remarkably similar to the provisions in the ballot measure Newsom is championing.

Speaking to reporters after the votes, De León thanked Newsom for "keeping gun control on the front burner" and inspiring the Legislature to act. But citing concerns that Newsom's measure could fail, he insisted the Capitol is the best place to craft tighter rules for gun owners -- not the ballot box. In addition, many Democratic leaders worry that the measure could drive pro-gun voters to the polls in November and swing close congressional and legislative races.

"Given the complexity of firearms policy, I believe the legislative process is the most responsible path forward," said de León, who hasn't spoken with Newsom in several weeks. "We owe it the voters to tackle tough issues and not force them to do our jobs for us."

A Newsom spokesman on Thursday did not respond to a request for comment on the Senate's action.

John Donohue III, a Stanford law professor and expert on gun politics, said it's difficult to predict the end result.

"It's too soon to know how it will all shake out," Donohue said.

The 11 bills the Senate approved Thursday include some the upper house vetted in policy committee hearings along with others that, until a few days ago, looked like totally different pieces of legislation on unrelated topics. That was before the proposals were "gutted and amended" -- a maneuver lawmakers use to craft new bills once legislative deadlines for new bills have passed.

Legislation authored by de León in 2009 regulated the sale of ammunition, but a judge later ruled that its definition of ammunition was too vague to enforce.

De León's Senate Bill 1235 and Assembly Bill 156, authored by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, seek to remedy the problem by defining ammunition as "one or more loaded cartridges consisting of a primer case, propellant and with one or more projectiles."

The Senate approved both measures on a 24-15 vote despite Republican protests that the bills and other pieces of the package trample on Californians' Second Amendment rights, create more red tape for law-abiding gun owners and will do little to reduce violent crime.

Senate Republican leader Jean Fuller, R-Bakersfield, criticized Democrats for seeking new firearms rules before the state has fully implemented a law on the books that instructs the attorney general to seize guns from people, such as felons and the mentally ill, who are prohibited from owning them.

The state "invested millions of taxpayers' dollars for Attorney General Kamala Harris to remove illegal guns off the streets, but Harris' office has failed to do so," Fuller said. "We should be focusing on criminal activity and taking illegal guns off our streets."

Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade group for the firearms industry, released a statement after the votes raising similar concerns: "Law abiding, responsible California gun owners and firearm retailers were the ones truly hurt by today's actions," he said.

Other measures the Senate passed include SB 880, authored by Sens. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Steve Glazer, D-Walnut Creek, and AB 1135, authored by Assemblymen Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco. The measures seek to modify the assault weapons ban to effectively prohibit "bullet buttons."

Aiming to work around current law, which bans long guns with detachable magazines, firearms manufacturers began selling "California compliant" assault weapons with recessed buttons that allow users to instantly detach a magazine by pressing it with the tip of a bullet or another small tool. The Senate approved these measures on a 24-14 vote.

SB 1446, authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, seeks to make another revision to the state's assault weapons ban by restricting possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. California's 1999 update of the quarter-century-old assault weapons law only banned the importation, manufacture and sale of large-capacity magazines. The Hancock measure was approved on a 22-15 vote.

Sen. Jeff Stone, R-Riverside, who spoke out against almost every gun bill the Senate considered Thursday, called SB 1446 especially "egregious" because it allows for "the incremental beginning" of the government's ability to confiscate weapons.

Starting July 1, 2017, the bill would require owners of magazines of more than 10 rounds to sell them, move them out of state or turn them in.

"I'm going to quote Adolf Hitler," he said, to gasps in the Senate chamber. "To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens."

GUN BILLS PASSED BY SENATE

Senate Bill 1235, authored by Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, and Assembly Bill 156, written by Assemblyman Kevin McCarty, D-Sacramento, would regulate the sale of ammunition.

SB 880, authored by Sens. Isadore Hall, D-South Bay, and Steve Glazer, D-Walnut Creek, and AB 1135, authored by Assemblymen Marc Levine, D-Marin County, and Phil Ting, D-San Francisco, would effectively prohibit "bullet buttons" that make it easy to detach magazines.

SB 1446, would restrict possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's authored by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley.

SB 1407, authored by de León, and AB 857, authored by Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, aim to eliminate the proliferation of so-called "ghost guns," which are manufactured at home and don't carry serial numbers.

SB 894, authored by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara, requires the reporting of a lost or stolen gun within five days.

AB 1176, authored by Cooper, repeals a provision of 2014's Proposition 47 and reverts gun theft and buying a stolen gun, regardless of value, to a felony and "wobbler," respectively.

AB 1511, authored by Assemblyman Miguel Santiago, D-Los Angeles, limits the lending of guns to family members who have not completed background checks.

SB 1006, authored by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis, establishes a Firearm Violence Research Center at the University of California.

runfiverun
05-20-2016, 12:09 AM
I'm beginning to think the 'wall' Trump wants to build needs to go across the middle of that state, turn left/err right,,,, south across the top of the sierra mountains, then follow the Border east to the gulf of Mexico.

leeggen
05-20-2016, 12:28 AM
I just wonder if all the gun owners out west would line up shoulder to shoulder and fire at the same time into the ground directly over the fault that maybe it would fracture and save the rest of the USA from the California Zarrs.
CD

jonp
05-20-2016, 04:42 AM
I'm surprised gun manu's still sell into the state. Let them follow Mr. Barrett's example and see how long The Dems like being disarmed in front of the wolves.

I predict no drop in crime from any of this and a further flooding of points north and west from CA residents leaving the state. If I had enough money I'd buy some land just over the border in AZ and build a giant firearms storage facility.

root
05-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Man that's just messed up pass a bill then "gut it and amend it"

NICE real nice.

until a few days ago, looked like totally different pieces of legislation on unrelated topics. That was before the proposals were "gutted and amended" -- a maneuver lawmakers use to craft new bills once legislative deadlines for new bills have passed.
Rich

Hickory
05-20-2016, 07:40 AM
It's time to give California back to Mexico.

matrixcs
05-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Are you sure we haven't???????

It's time to give California back to Mexico.

dverna
05-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Sadly, what is happening there will be the law of the land in less than 10 years if Hillary is elected.

jmort
05-20-2016, 08:06 AM
Thank God I was able to move out of California last year. A bigger problem is that the laws will only get worse. The liberals are far from done with their dirty work. Liberals don't deserve guns. If you live in California and are a decent person move as quickly as you are able.

fryboy
05-20-2016, 08:30 AM
And the populace keep voting in these traitors to the US of A ,it's constitution it's people and any sense of true humanity .....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience" C.S.Lewis ...

BTW ? For those who forget what "shall not be infringed" means ... Serve those whom you let be your masters well and may the yoke of slavery,oppression and submission eat at your very being ....until your last ragged breath escapes your worthless carcass ....

MT Gianni
05-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Again bills needing the approval of the house and governor are not yet laws. Some of this stuff will be enacted as law, some will shake out as idiotic. It is an easy way to tell your left wing constituents that you passed legislation, knowing it would not be enacted, and the other party vetoed or gutted it. Really though I cant imagint this is over 50 a year. "SB 1407, authored by de León, and AB 857, authored by Assemblyman Jim Cooper, D-Elk Grove, aim to eliminate the proliferation of so-called "ghost guns," which are manufactured at home and don't carry serial numbers."

Handloader109
05-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Wow, just wow. I continue to thank my God for giving me the wisdom to not move out there a couple of decades ago. Total ignorance and insanity in their legislative branch. Maybe moonbeam brown can veto.... I feel extremely sorry for you guys out there.

starmac
05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
I am not even sure Commiefornia recognizes my passport, and don't care either.

Artful
05-20-2016, 12:22 PM
http://overpassesforamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/jerry-brown-overpopulation-california.png

Omega
05-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Starting July 1, 2017, the bill would require owners of magazines of more than 10 rounds to sell them, move them out of state or turn them in.

Any of you guys turning any magazines in??? I am in the free state of TN, and will gladly pay shipping for some of your unwanted 30 round AR Mags, Glock 23 mags or XDs .40 mags, or heck even some 10/22 mags. How many can you fit into a MFRB???

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2016, 12:33 PM
I wonder if `Hydro pumping` water into the San Andreas fault would help move Cali off shore and create beach front properties in Nevada, seems to be working in Oklahoma?Robert

GOPHER SLAYER
05-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Do not think that we vote those idiots into office. The dumbocrats import all the voters they need. By the way, this is a show that's coming to your town. We cannot all retreat to Wyoming or Montana or wherever. Remember this, come November. Obozo will leave his phone and pen on the desk in the oval office when he departs. We get to decide who gets to use them. Maybe you, never Trump folks should rethink your position on that.

Duckiller
05-20-2016, 04:12 PM
+1 what Gopher slayer said. Very few NEW handguns are eligible to be sold in this State. All hand guns, except for single action revolvers, must be on the DOJ approved list to be sold to civilians. Need to renew testing every 5 years. Several manufacturers have not been renewing.

Blackwater
05-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Amen, Gohper! Today California, tomorrow, the WORLD! And that's EXACTLY where they're headed, and they WILL not be deterred! They're like the muslims. Only superior force is "understandable" to them. And with so few willing to show them that .... well, we get what we get.

shooter93
05-20-2016, 05:50 PM
This is why....despite any misgivings....you may have about the GOP's apparent nominee that Hillary is stopped. If she wins she could easily also gain the House and Senate and vey quickly move legislation forward. It didn't take long for the then majority to give you the Healthcare Bill. If Trump does win then we need to pressure him to appoint Constitutional justices to SCOTUS and hopefully he gets to appoint 4 and they will over turn some of this insanity.

runfiverun
05-20-2016, 08:38 PM
I'm watching this same stuff start to creep into other states.
Texas has Austin.
Utah has SLC.
even Wyoming has a small spot of liberalism.

SciFiJim
05-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Thank God I was able to move out of California last year. A bigger problem is that the laws will only get worse. The liberals are far from done with their dirty work. Liberals don't deserve guns. If you live in California and are a decent person move as quickly as you are able.

I am working on getting out of CA. I finally convinced my native Californian wife that it is time to go. The transfer request for my job is in and just waiting on the process. Hopefully it will happen by the end of the year.

smokeywolf
05-21-2016, 01:15 AM
I've been studying, planning and working on getting out of Kali for 4 years. Only thing really holding me back now is reversing 30 years of neglect on my house so I can put a for sale sign out front.

If Brown and the rest of Kali's liberal political virus had their way, I'd be selling it to a criminal alien who would pay me for it with my own tax dollars.

TreeKiller
05-21-2016, 01:22 AM
Talked to a a 75 year old man i work with about this yesterday. He goes hunting every year. His reply" I don't care I have enough ammo to last me the rest of my life." When they pass the lead free ban on hunting ammo on private land like it is now on public land and he has to have a background check from DOJ like the want to do in some of the bills they passed he is going to scream like a cut cat at the extra $25.00 to buy a box of ammo.

Buck Neck It
05-21-2016, 01:55 AM
Bow ties? Just like Bozo the Clown? This is the new "power look"?

Bookworm
05-21-2016, 10:02 PM
I see this even here in Okie-land. When the refugees from Kalifas move to different states to escape the elected lunatics, they bring their voting patterns with them.
In other words, they move , and keep voting for the same type of political idiocy that "forced" them from Kalifornia. Bringing the stupidity with them

Texas has Austin.
Utah has SLC.

BrassMagnet
05-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Texas has Austin.
Utah has SLC.

R5R Nailed it!
Then they get Pot initiatives on the ballot. More dopers move in. Then they want to vote in free bennies paid for by working people while they live on public assistance and party hard.
Colorado will vote on "Colorado Cares" in November. An initiative to provide health care to all Coloradoans and pay for it with an escalating tax on all income sources, wages, retirements, etc.
Time to flee is fast approaching!

smokeywolf
05-22-2016, 02:57 PM
California was a great place to live and grow up until the mid to late '60s. That was when the lib/progressive movement started building momentum. Dad switched careers in the mid '60s. I'm sure if he knew then what I know now, he'd have seen that as a perfect time to flee this State that has become not just a disappointment, but a humiliation to loyal and responsible Americans.

Fellow Californians, don't see this as me bashing you (unless you vote for DEMONcrats). Those of us who are responsible citizens never stood a chance. Because the worthless breed like rabbits and nearly always vote DEMONcrat, all it has taken is a couple of generations to ruin this State.

root
05-22-2016, 05:40 PM
It's bad in places like Kali, NY, Colo. and it's spreading.
As much as I'd like to say F "em if pro freedom people don't start getting their act together every single state will be this way.

The sooner people start to realize it's not about gun control, it's about TOTAL control, the sooner people will really start to fight for their rights.

Do you know why the rich and elite fear your 100 dollar .22? it's not the fear of you using it for crime. It's the fear that with a 100 dollar gun and 28 cents worth of ammo you can take their POWER from them that's what they fear.

They fear losing their POWER, MILLIONS of DOLLARS, and ABSOLUTE CONTROL

And they FEAR losing it to you, me, the unwashed masses if you will at the end of a 100 dollar gun and a few cents worth of ammo.

In their eyes we are allowed to exist because of their good graces.

These people that are passing these laws know exactly what they are doing and why. They are just hoping YOU don't figure it out.
And they are sure the hell hoping you don't figure out how afraid of you and that 100 dollar rifle they are.

Where's Henry Bowman when you need him?
Rich