PDA

View Full Version : Holster - Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 4-inch barrel

Naphtali
05-19-2016, 03:29 PM
I bought one of the new 4-inchers with adjustable rear sight and a front sight that I'm not comfortable with - yet?? I have been sort've carrying it in my belt in a cross-draw with cylinder just above my pant line. I find this carry is comfortable when sitting and not particularly intrusive otherwise.

I am left-handed.

I prefer leather to plastics and belt slots or loops to paddles and quick on-off clips.

I also prefer to have trigger guard covered and a thumb break - only the thumb break is a "deal breaker" unless retention is similar to a SAFETY SPEED spring clam shell. Before my hands precluded using my 640-1, I carried it in an IWB holster that had no safety device. While it was exceptionally comfortable, I discovered, to my embarrassment, that the 640-1 dropped from the holster while I would have a bowel movement. Since occasionally I would forget about this "undocumented feature" of a holster without safety strap, I decided that holsters without a retaining device are not for a belt holster - for me.
Keeping holster cost beneath $150.00 delivered, what holsters or holster brands or holster makers should I look at?

76 WARLOCK
05-19-2016, 05:19 PM
El Paso Saddelry willfix you up.

dkf
05-19-2016, 10:42 PM
I got a Alaska Hunter hip holster from Diamond D Leather for my Redhawk beginning of this year. It is a very nice holster (very good quality) that fits your requirements. Only downside is the wait time is pretty long.(over 12 weeks when I ordered)

Blackwater
05-20-2016, 05:46 PM
If you've tried IWB carry and weren't turned off by it, take a look at Andrews Leather's McDaniel holster. It's available with a really good thumb snap, which is the model I have, and it's the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used, by far. The loops are placed in such a manner that it makes it more comfortable, and ALSO keeps the grip tucked in so it doesn't "print" when carrying concealed. It's very quick to access and draw, which COULD be a factor one day, and it's well below your price figure you quoted.

I was actually quite surprised when McDaniel himself asked me to put my Combat Commander in one and try it on. Prior to this one, I'd absolutely HATED IWB carry, and they DO require you to loosen your belt one notch, but then, you're good to go for a whole day if needs be. And it's pretty easy on and off, too, which is a nifty benefit provided the first requirements are met first. I love mine, and it has impressed me and others others that I heartily recommend it.

If I ever get another IWB holster, it'll be a McDaniel. The differences are subtle, but DO make a difference in practical carry, especially over a bit of time. It's those little niggles that are very hard to "see" or feel from simple pictures. His McDaniel is best, I think, in horsehide, which is thinner and stiffer than any sort of cowhide. That's what he normally uses for them, unless he's changed it. But he'll make one out of whatever you want, and you can order one as fancy as you wish, but that's kind'a counter productive in an IWB holster, I think. I really love mine, and have come to respect his ability and judgment in his holster making. Nothing but top grade products and at a very competitive price.

ksfowler166
06-05-2016, 03:30 AM
I occasionally carry my S&W M19 4" in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake OWB, strong side 3:30 15 degree cant. I ordered it with a removable hammer strap for use as a field holster but that was overkill I can turn the holster upside down and shake it with the gun remaining in place. It also mentions on the website where one of the employee's swam over a mile with the holster (no hammer strap) and retained his gun. For smaller frame revolver (SP 100) they have the scaled downed Silver Dollar Pancake which can be fitted with removable IWB loops.

I like the holster but found it to sometimes be uncomfortable to drive in and there to be little clearance between the bottom of the holster and the hem of many of my shirts/jackets. Which is why I went to an IWB holster by another maker that I absolutely love but the retention is enough for the intended purpose but not outstanding and it does not come with a retention device.

Wayne Smith
06-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Check out www.whitetigerleatherworks.com (http://www.whitetigerleatherworks.com) Eric is one of us. I don't know if he adapts his to revolvers, though.

omcforever
06-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Palmetto Leather Works.....made mine Ruger SP101 with 2 inch barrel.

Mad Jack
06-09-2016, 04:50 PM
169863Sp101 3" in Kramer holster. No thumb break but has the great retention. I wanted a thumb break until I talked with Kramer.

Naphtali
06-11-2016, 08:28 PM
The situation has become more "interesting." I've also just bought an SP101 three-inch barrel. I've decided to buy three holsters for the two revolvers - all basically the same. The short gun will get cross-draw thumb break pancake-style IWB and OWB - pancake in the sense of hugging my torso as well as can be obtained. The long gun will get only an OWB.

My thinking is that I should train/rehearse a single series of movements to acquire a muscle memory of where and how to find the revolver occurred because of an anecdote about an off-duty LEO getting stabbed because he reached for his duty gun in his strong side belt holster while wearing his shoulder holster - OUCH!
Something I didn't expect from the two revolvers is how different are their personalities. The four-inch revolver with its adjustable sights and Hogue (I think) full-sized grip strongly reminds me of the S&W Model 66 four-inch I used when moonlighting as security for a closed nuclear storage facility when at university.

The three-incher yields the same impression as my Colt series '80 Officer's Model 45 ACP that my father-in-law managed to talk me out of - chunky, like a stone axe.
Why have I fixed on SP101s rather than "J" frame S&Ws? I have arthritic hands. Releasing my 640-1's cylinder for loading/unloading is extremely difficult. Pushing the button release on an SP101 is easy. . . . No other reason.