PDA

View Full Version : Wild turkey ?

shaper
05-18-2016, 11:51 PM
Today I was working on the shop. Found rotten wood and had to take out a 5 ft. section of the wall. Skill saw running, hammering nails and I look up and there is a turkey about 15 feet from me. There are a lot of wild turkeys in this area so I was not surprised until I got a better look at it. the wings and tail feathers were almost white, sort of cream. the back was a lite brown. It stayed around my barn yard eating the chickens feed all afternoon and evening. Right now it is sleeping on the top of the gate going into the back yard. If it is still here tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of it.

JSnover
05-18-2016, 11:54 PM
The Great White Turkey doesn't lie, shaper. You are the Chosen One.

shaper
05-19-2016, 07:34 AM
well, it is still here. I went to throw the chickens some old French fries when it walked up. So I threw it some. It came up and ate all of them. This time it was about 10 feet from me. I brought out my phone to take a picture and it went around the barn. I put out more chicken scratch just to see if It will stay around.

Wayne Smith
05-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Wild/domestic cross breed??

winelover
05-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Had a lone hen, on my property, that looked very similar. I wouldn't go as far as describing the feathers as white but, they were clearly lighter colored. More like beige and the back was tan, also. Sorry no pictures. I was sitting in the kitchen, looking out the window, eating lunch.

Winelover

M-Tecs
05-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Wild/domestic cross breed??

Part albino. Not common but the property that I deer hunt on has a very large turkey population. In a thirty year span I have seen two turkeys' with the white mottling as described by the OP. Friend has a mounted Pheasant that is about half white.

AggieEE
05-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Last deer season I was on my buddy's lease and I saw about 10 of above described turkeys trotting toward me. Looked like mom and dad in the back and kids up front. Strange sensation watching them trot toward me through binocs. They passed about 50 feet in front of me on way to the feeder. They stayed in a straight line right down the road.

Blackwater
05-19-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking it's just a light variation in color. Not sure if albinism is involved or not. Could be, for sure. They're rare, but occur sometimes. I'm not sure what effect weather and/or food might have on them, but I suspect both can have at least some, limited effect. Their color variations seem to come yearly with the weather and whatever crops are good for them to eat that year. They're so varied and colorful that it'd be pretty hard for them to NOT vary quite a bit, but the mottling makes it much harder to notice. Fly tiers notice every little nuance on them, though. I picked one turkey a friend shot, and saved nearly all the feathers. I'll be tying with those for a LONG time! Great looking feathers, though.

Then, too, maybe JSnover's right!

KCSO
05-19-2016, 11:20 AM
I have seen two albino turkeys in the past 10 years. One as you described and one pure white. They will also cross breed but there are no tame turkeys where I live.

dagger dog
05-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Had a hen like that raise a couple hatches, she and her poults stayed around 2 years until the land was logged off.

PbHurler
05-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Yes, please...........

:kidding:

FISH4BUGS
05-19-2016, 05:38 PM
We put out cracked corn and average up to about 40 turkeys at one time here. There are smaller groups that come by. Some single girls.
My office is here in the house and I watch them when I look up from the computer or get up.
Never saw one that looks like yours but there are all kinds and colors out there.....probably a cross breed.
A photo would be great.

bedbugbilly
05-19-2016, 06:27 PM
French fries? Normally I like mashed potatoes with turkey . . . .

We never had turkeys around when I was a kid but the introduced them and now we have 'em. Around our place, we sometimes have between 15 to 20 come through every once in a while. Several years ago, we spotted one similar to what you describe - kind of interesting and I just assumed it might have been a cross with a domestic but I'm probably wrong. I enjoy seeing them but am glad they don't hang around all the time. They can certainly make a mess on a barn roof if they decide to roost up there.

bangerjim
05-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Drinking Wild Turkey has caused sightings similar to that!

HA....ha!

DLCTEX
05-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I thought it was about whiskey.

Bullwolf
05-20-2016, 10:14 PM
I see flocks of Wild Turkeys roaming around on my farm quite often.

Sometimes see a group of 12 or more Turkeys in the road, other times just a few pecking up seeds or acorns off the ground. They really get around.

Catch em on my game cameras all the time, and am often hearing gobbles.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168553&d=1406429309

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168554&d=1463796016

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168555&d=1463796063

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=168556&d=1463796192

I quite enjoy having them around.

- Bullwolf

leeggen
05-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Uncle saw a hen with 10 cicks at his place yesterday. Not albino and we have a hen on a nest on the hill behind our house, she comes into the yard not 10 ft from back porch. The dogs don't bother her at all. Somtimes loud noises will bring them running, saw several while building back deck.
CD

EMC45
05-21-2016, 09:57 AM
There's a white one I see in the Park often. Just like you described, not pure white, rather a cream color. More often than not I'm yelling at the birds to get out of the road so I don't hit them.