PDA

View Full Version : CVA squirrel set trigger problem

Buckshot Bill
05-18-2016, 10:37 PM
So I picked up a beater CVA squirrel today, the double set triggers are confusing me. I have tried all range of adjustment, referenced the owners manual and did google searches t ofind the instructions on how to properly tune the set triggers. It will either cock but the rear trigger won't set, or it won't cock and the rear trigger will set. the fine medium where it tried to do both like it was supposed to, both triggers moved when I tried to set the rear trigger causing the hammer to fall. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, I really don't like having to hit the set trigger before I can cock the rifle or put the rifle on half cock

bubba.50
05-18-2016, 10:49 PM
sounds to me like you are gettin' contact from the trigger/sear bar before ya need it. CVA's are prone to havin' the triggers inlet too far. sometimes from the factory & other times from over-tightenin' the tang bolt thus crushin' the fibers of the wood.

with the triggers removed from the stock do they seem to work okay? with the lock out of the stock does it seem to work okay? if they seem to work you likely just need to shim the trigger bar for a bit more clearance.

not an expert on these things, just a couple things to check. luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

Buckshot Bill
05-18-2016, 11:12 PM
You nailed it Bubba, thank you! everything worked fine independent of the stock, threw a couple shims under the trigger plate and now it works flawless.

Now to sort out the other 100 ailments this poor old rifle has!

slumlord44
05-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Just went through this with a Mountain Rifle. Have a Squirrel Rifle Kit in the box on my work bench that I walked away years ago because of the trigger problem. Now that I have learned what the problem is I hope to eventually finish the gun.

Buckshot Bill
05-20-2016, 06:50 PM
if you don't want to finish it I know a guy who might take it off your hands ;)

bedbugbilly
05-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Bubba gives some very good tips on what to look for! Set triggers can sometimes be problematic for a number of reasons - improper fitting in the stock in relation to the sear, improper adjustment due to not having experience with them and understanding how the various designs and how they function. If you take your time and study it carefully, a person can usually get the problem figured out - and it sounds like you did by following Bubba's suggestions.

I had a left handed CVA Squirrel Rifle with a TC scope mount on it for a number of years. It was a fun little gun and accurate as heck on little varmints. I sold it and have regretted it ever since! I wish that someone would start making kits for a little .32 like the Squirrel Rifle or similar. A great little gun for kids of all ages - those getting their feet wet and "old" kids wanting to have fun!

Glad you got the problem figured out - now go have fun!

Gtek
05-22-2016, 12:28 PM
If one really had to have one, Deer Creek Products has about enough to put one together less wood.

rfd
05-22-2016, 01:10 PM
... I wish that someone would start making kits for a little .32 like the Squirrel Rifle or similar. ...

traditions offers that caplock crockett .32 kit, i assembled one it it turned out quite nice ...

http://i.imgur.com/kMH8lP4.jpg

bubba.50
05-22-2016, 01:50 PM
that's a good lookin' little squirrel buster ya got there.

rfd
05-22-2016, 06:40 PM
the crockett .32 is a fine little rifle that's Quite Accurate. i built the kit and stupidly sold it. now i need to build another, they're just too much fun not to have around.

bubba.50
05-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Deer Creek shows to have a few finished 32cal Crocketts available. also show a few 36cal Shenandoah flint kits as available. both are a bit spendy for my tastes but, there ya go.

rfd
05-22-2016, 07:03 PM
the ONLY thing i don't like about all the traditions ml's is that the breech plug can't be removed without buggering the barrel (tried to do that on a traditions hawken .50 and eventually called traditions and got the bad news). the only other reasonable commercial .32 (in flint or cap forms) i know of is by pedersoli and their dst versions aren't cheap (but the breech plugs can be removed, been there and done that).

jcwit
05-22-2016, 07:10 PM
I have one by CVA when they first brought them out, bought it at their booth in Friendship 30 some years ago.

No number on it but it is prototype #2.

Number 1 was presented to one of their better dealers.

SSGOldfart
05-22-2016, 07:14 PM
Loo
if you don't want to finish it I know a guy who might take it off your hands ;)
So do I, and it's not the same guy Buckshot knows.:grin:

fiberoptik
06-19-2016, 07:40 PM
So I picked up a beater CVA squirrel today, the double set triggers are confusing me. I have tried all range of adjustment, referenced the owners manual and did google searches t ofind the instructions on how to properly tune the set triggers. It will either cock but the rear trigger won't set, or it won't cock and the rear trigger will set. the fine medium where it tried to do both like it was supposed to, both triggers moved when I tried to set the rear trigger causing the hammer to fall. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, I really don't like having to hit the set trigger before I can cock the rifle or put the rifle on half cock

+1 on that. Same here. Got from pawn shop, forget price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk