PDA

View Full Version : Storing and Labelling Cast Bullets-Help?

river-rider
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I find myself with about 14 containers of bullets I have cast over last 15 years setting on a bench in the entryway for my house. My wife has been nice about it but I do need to sort them out. Some have diameter listed, some bullet mould number, none have lead listed. I have about 45 moulds and I can go back and fit the bullets to a mould and I have a lead hardness tester so I can check hardness.

How do you label and store your cast bullets?

spurrit
05-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Just send them to me, and start over.

I sort mine with my guns. I always mean to stockpile bullets and ammo, but once I get a couple thousand going, I go out and piss it away.

Springfield
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a bunch of plastic Steri-lite drawers like they sell in the storage section of the hardware store. I just put them in there and put a label on the front, as to caliber, lead hardness if it is different, date, whatever. They stack nice and make the bullets easily accessible.

mtgrs737
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
If they are sized and lubed pistol boolits I like to use 16mm x 400 foot film cans, If they are rifle boolits I use 35 mm x 100 foot cans. the cans keep them clean and well protected. If you get too large of cans the weight will cause the can to flex too much and twist out of shape with a full load of boolits. My wife used to work at a place that threw them away, I also got some off of ebay. You can use a marker to write on the can or use some of those self-stick on lables that the office supply stores sell. If the boolits are not sized then you can use most any container with a lid to keep them dust free. Good luck!

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
i got a bunch of 4x4x4 boxes and label the front and keep on a metal shelf
keep all the 45,s together etc on each shelf.

alamogunr
05-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Not very neat, but I use Jif peanut butter jars. We get PB at Sam's and the plastic containers are handy for a lot of things. Also there is a continuing supply of them.
John

Junior1942
05-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I use plastic peanut jugs, peanut butter jars, mayonaise jars, etc. Just write the mold and alloy info and the date on an old business card and stick it in the containers with the bullets.

wiljen
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Coffee cans and a sharpie are my system for organizing

LeadThrower
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I use cigar boxes. Creating the empty containers is a joy, and boolits can stack one, two, or three deep, depending on the pill and the box. I just write the info on a reloading label I created and fill the rest (powder, brass, COL, etc) when I load them.

FISH4BUGS
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I live in a condo building with 42 units. The trash room over the years has produced a hundred coffee cans with lids in the recycling bins.
Just some masking tape, a sharpie and a lid is all you need. Unsized and unlubed bullets are in one set of cans and so marked, the sized and lubed are in another.
I have about 5 LARGE coffee cans of 358156 all ready to size and lube. 4 large cans of 9mm to be loaded. 2000 380's needing sizing and lubing. Shooting sub machine guns doesn't help the inventory. 2000 44's need sizing/lubing.
Between my girfriend and me we can go through 400 38's in a weekend easily. She is getting to be a good shot with her 3" HB Model 36 Smith.
My casting and sizing/lubing is done in marathon sessions - sometimes two or three or four thousand at a time. Sizing and lubing is done a few hours here and a few hours there.....everything winds up in a large coffee can with a lid.
Gotta make a living in all this fun you know.

VTDW
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Butt Wipe plastic containers.:-D I remove the label and place a piece of duct tape and write with a Sharpie. My youngest grandkid is only a bit over 1 yr so I should be getting quite a few more before they finally decides what is causing her to get pregnant.:mrgreen:

JeffinNZ
05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
.17 HMR and .22 Mag plastic ammo boxes hold 50 .30cal bullets perfectly.

bullshot
05-14-2008, 06:25 PM
+1 on the butt wipe containers. Good for small brass lots also.

mooman76
05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I have some in coffee cans, and some in empty powder containers but reciently I have been buying those disposable plastic microwave containers. They are cheap, stackable and clear. I write on them with a marker. Bullet diameter and weight. You can get almost any size you need.

MT Gianni
05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I keep mine in cardboard boxes by caliber. Inside the boxes they are in plastic ziplocks with a note stating mold #, alloy, lube if lubed, check brand if checked and date cast. I keep them in a basement room that is heated to 60 F in winter and never gets over 70 in summer. I have no problems with lube cracking or melting. Gianni

testhop
05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
i use g.i.ammo cans
for unsized for sized i use those canstes for flour suger and so on i get them from flea markets, thrift stores cheep
BUT HERE IS ONE THING NEVER DO USE GAL MILK JUGS THAT BREAK DOWN AFTER A TIME
I DID AND IT DID 45S ALL OVER THE BASEMENT FLOOR

hyoder
05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
More butt wipe containers and others.
I use a label maker for labeling.

DLCTEX
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Large volume calibers=pistol go into ziplock freezer bags marked with a sharpie as to particulars, then stored in ammo cans. The gallon bags hold lots, but I don't put more than 200 45's in a bag as the weight exceeds the strength of the bag. Smaller volume calibers usually go into the various plastic jars or smaller bags, marked and stored in ammo cans. I mark the outside of the ammo cans as to content. DALE

Buckshot
05-15-2008, 02:41 AM
................I have pretty much gone to those Zip-Loc or Glad type re-useable plastic food storage containers. Tupperware would be better and last a lifetime but I'd have to take a 2nd on the house. I write on the ends with a marks a lot marker. When it's empty or I pour the boolits into another container a quick wipe with a rag and some carb cleaner has them clean and ready for remarking.

http://www.fototime.com/A30C5C8DCA91B7F/standard.jpg

Well, these have sticky labels on'em but normally they don't and you don't need them, but the writting DOES show up a bit better.

I do still have a good assortment of coffee cans around though, as I just can't seem to turn them loose :-) These get 2" x 3" sticky address labels. I just stick one over the other when the contents change.

.................Buckshot

DLCTEX
05-15-2008, 07:50 AM
You may be able to use carb cleaner on the containers, but watch out and don't use brake cleaner as it will dissolve plastic. I gave some cases a quick spray to remove size lube and damaged an RCBS loading block. DALE

Southern Son
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I went to the range one day and found that the Police had been shooting. They use that Cheapo Federal brand, Golden Eagle I think, they had left all the boxes in the bin, jundreds of them. I am only casting booltis for BPCR at the moment, stuff in the 530-550grain range and the plastic trays from those boxes are PERFECT. Each one holds 50 boolits, each boolit protected in its own little compartment, then you put another tray over the top. You can use masking tape to hold the two trays together, and if you have lubed the boolits, then you can put a wrap of tape around the join and keep it pretty much air tight. Write on the tape and then when you use the boolits, you can reuse the trays and just put on new tape with the new information.

Boerrancher
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I generally use the steel coffee cans for my lubed boolits, and the plastic type for the unlubed. The reason I don't use the plastic for the lubed is because I stand my lubed boolits upright in the can so I can get more stacked in there. Each layer is separated by a sheet of wax paper cut to the same dia. as the coffee can. I use a piece of masking tape on both the lid and the side to label as to the contents.

It is really nice because I can stack the cans in the corner or under my work bench and they are out of my way. I also use coffee cans to stack my ingots in since my ingots look like ears of corn and don't stack well on their own.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch

TexRebel
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
coffee cans, butter tubs, paint buckets, what ever is handy at the time, I write the cal , weight, and mold info on a 3X5 card and place it on top of the boolit :castmine:

Kraschenbirn
05-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Resealable plastic containers for boolits with hard lube and 6"x9" wooden trays made from scrap flooring underlayment for those with soft (BP or Alox).

Bill

Johnch
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
High use bullets like 150 gr for the 38 , 125 for the 9mm ect
I made up wood trays that hold 1200 bullets for the 38 / 9mm size , 30x40 bullets about 11" x 14.5"
44 and 45 are sized for 25x30 bullets

Low use bullets and rifle bullets , I made up trays each cal that hold 100 bullets
But some 30 cal bullets are stored in 30x40 trays

I wrap the tray with cling wrap and write what is inside with a sharpy

I store un sized bullets in 8" x 8" x 12" plactic boxs parts come in at work
I have a double layer of them stacked along the wall under the reloading bench

I know , to much time on my hands in the winter

John

river-rider
05-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Thank all of you for your replies. Next time I will label cast bullets with more info. I think I will put bullet mould number, lead hardness, diameter, date. Thanks again for your answers.