PDA

View Full Version : I was at the Post Office today and watched someone try to mail a rifle.....

Harry O
05-17-2016, 10:53 PM
I waited about a half hour to cash my PMO, but it was educational. Two guys (looked like father and son) brought in two boxes with one rifle in each of them. I was thee people behind them.

The guy behind the counter had them open up the sealed boxes so that he could look at the rifles and have them verify that they were unloaded. They were AR15 types. He also checked the inside of the box to see that there was no ammunition (or other banned material) in the box. Then he had them seal it up, including all the edges (some of the edges had perforations, which he said were not allowed). Why they were not allowed, I don't know. Maybe it was to suffocate the rifles. Then he gave them new forms to fill out. which when done were pasted over what they had for the original address. They insured them for $1,500 each, so they must have had some special stuff on them (I am no AR15 expert).

I have mailed a few guns from FedEx and did not have near the problems they had with this guy. I have also mailed live ammunition from FedEx without problems. I don't know why anyone would use the USPS.

shoot-n-lead
05-17-2016, 11:09 PM
I ship them USPS with no problem and cheaper than other carriers...

To each...his own.

runfiverun
05-18-2016, 01:21 AM
I just took mine in to our local P.O. and paid the freight/insurance and off it went.
I picked it back up a couple of months later from the same place.
the lady behind the counter knew what it was as soon as I walked in, she said "thank god,, at least it ain't another box of lead".

Artful
05-18-2016, 02:12 AM
she said "thank god,, at least it ain't another box of lead".

LOL :2_high5::bigsmyl2:

Rustyleee
05-18-2016, 04:36 AM
I ordered ammo a few months back. When buster brown dropped it off at the house he said, yep, that ammo is heavy. They know what they're carrying.

bullet maker 57
05-18-2016, 05:45 AM
I use USPS to ship firearms. Never had to open the box. Sounds like the clerk was a jerk.

6bg6ga
05-18-2016, 06:19 AM
I sent a bullet mold back to the manufacturer only to have the clerk open up my box to verify contents. That was the last time I told them what was in a box. It would seem that anything to do with bullets and or firearms immediately flags it so they can open it. As to the lead comment.....god bless my postal lady. She had brought lead to the house several times before she learned I was fine with backing the postal Jeep up in the driveway. Once backed up she comes to the door to tell me she has some heavy packages for me. She always wants to get the packages and I always tell her they are heavy and I will handle it. I know she breathes a sigh of relief.

05-18-2016, 06:26 AM
I sent a bullet mold back to the manufacturer only to have the clerk open up my box to verify contents. That was the last time I told them what was in a box. It would seem that anything to do with bullets and or firearms immediately flags it so they can open it. As to the lead comment.....god bless my postal lady. She had brought lead to the house several times before she learned I was fine with backing the postal Jeep up in the driveway. Once backed up she comes to the door to tell me she has some heavy packages for me. She always wants to get the packages and I always tell her they are heavy and I will handle it. I know she breathes a sigh of relief.

My mail lady hates me. Maybe, dreads coming to my house is a better way to put it. All of my lead comes via USPS. Once I had 340# in 10 boxes come in. She called and wanted me to come get it! Um, no, I paid for Priority shipping, you can at least bring it to the house. I did tell here she could dump it off the back of the truck. Not to take it all the way to the porch. She was happy for that.

w5pv
05-18-2016, 06:59 AM
The last that I shipped USPS,the lady asked if there something that would be illegal to ship and that was it.

dudel
05-18-2016, 08:04 AM
Then he had them seal it up, including all the edges (some of the edges had perforations, which he said were not allowed). Why they were not allowed, I don't know. Maybe it was to suffocate the rifles.

Perforations are weakened parts of the packaging allowing one to easily open the package. The perforations are also the part most likely to fail if the package were dropped (likely with USPS). I can see why USPS would want them taped (sender should as well).

FedEx is much easier; but must be overnight delivery.

Sasquatch-1
05-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Tried to send a red dot back to Sight Mark once via UPS. Took it to the local UPS store and the guy behind the counter refused to except it because it had to do with firearms. Since I had a prepaid label I caught a driver on the street and told him what happened. He took the package and told me that the guy at the store was a total jerk. I should have reported the guy to corporate HQ but let it slide.

Tatume
05-18-2016, 08:24 AM
From the time that I was a small child my father taught me to verify the loaded/unloaded condition of every firearm that was handed to me. When I hand an unloaded firearm to someone and he checks to see that it is indeed empty, I do not take offense. Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifles, who built what may be the finest rolling block rifles ever, removed an "unloaded" rifle from the trunk of a customers car. It went off and killed him. I consider both parties to be at fault.

If would not bother me in the least if a postal clerk wanted to check the condition of a rifle I was shipping. Wait until a boxed rifle fires in a USPS facility and see what happens. No, as far as I'm concerned, they should check every one.

Take care, Tom

Epd230
05-18-2016, 08:25 AM
I have labeled them machine parts, which is a true statement.

No special inspection, no one bats an eye with that label.

C. Latch
05-18-2016, 08:33 AM
I use USPS to ship firearms. Never had to open the box. Sounds like the clerk was a jerk.

Same here. Or maybe the customer said something stupid and made the clerk suspicious.

458mag
05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
There is a complaint department. Ive used it for jerks and they took care of the problem.

10 ga
05-18-2016, 09:18 AM

X2 here. That is what I call them and what they are. Lots of times I break the guns down and ship in hard round tubes with the end plugs stapled on. Never a problem. I avoid the typical flat firearms boxes if at all possible. 10

44man
05-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Must ship guns to a FFL holder unless BP or old historical guns. You need the number on the box.

rosewood
05-18-2016, 11:24 AM
I was told that it it is within state, it doesn't have to go to FFL. Anyone know if this is true or have done it?

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Of the hundreds of packages, I've shipped in the last decade, that I've brought to the post office, Only one time the clerks wanted to open the box. It turned out to be the Postmaster was training in a new clerk, and she specifically said, if you suspect "anything" could be incorrect or against the rules, to open the box. That day I had a bunch of vintage NRA magazines labeled "media mail" and it was in a traditional cube shaped cardboard box, instead of a book/magazine box. No harm, not foul, as far as I was concerned.

mdi
05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Yep, "Machined Parts" has all that needs to be labled on the box. "Firearms" of any other indication on the container is an invitation to "Go Missing" between you and the addressee...

RU shooter
05-18-2016, 11:52 AM
I was told that it it is within state, it doesn't have to go to FFL. Anyone know if this is true or have done it?
This is true in PA still . I have done it if I know the person or he or she sends me a scanned copy of their DL and carry lic. .

shoot-n-lead
05-18-2016, 12:07 PM
A lot of people never think about the fact that all USPS priority parcels travel by airliner...passenger airliner...unlike UPS and FedEx. So, the post office has these rules in place to protect air travel...not just to harass the customer. There are a lot of common things that we use everyday that do not need to be on airplanes...batteries, any type of propellant, anything combustible (ex..nail polish remover), aerosol cans...and there are many more. With this in mind, be patient, as there is just cause for the inconvenience.

fredj338
05-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Legally, unless you are shipping to a repair facility, all shipments anywhere must go thru FFL to be legal.

C. Latch
05-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Legally, unless you are shipping to a repair facility, all shipments anywhere must go thru FFL to be legal.

That is incorrect.

It is perfectly legal, as far as FEDERAL law is concerned, to ship a rifle or shotgun (not handgun) within your state from one non-FFL holder to another.

Folks, please get your legal advice on matters such as this from the post office, not the internet.

shoot-n-lead
05-18-2016, 06:25 PM
You can also ship a longgun to yourself, at any location in the country. So, if you are going hunting and choose not travel with your gun...just ship it ahead, to yourself at that address.

Shiloh
05-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Last two sales were handled by an FFL. cost $40 plus shipping. He does it twice a week minimum.
Last one I shipped to an FFL for a barrel exchange went off without hitch from UPS.
Been more than 7 years though for the barrrel work.

SHiloh

Stewbaby
05-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Whenever possible, I remove the bolt from the rifle and ship it in the same box but wrapped separate. Helps me to double check it isn't loaded and helps prevent bolt damage in shipping. Who hasn't ordered a Mosin and had it arrive with the bolt sticking out of the box?[emoji12]

Grampo
05-18-2016, 11:55 PM
That is incorrect.

It is perfectly legal, as far as FEDERAL law is concerned, to ship a rifle or shotgun (not handgun) within your state from one non-FFL holder to another.

Folks, please get your legal advice on matters such as this from the post office, not the internet.

This is correct as long as your state allows it. Some states do not and all firearms must go through an FFL. The Federal government has the authority to regulate firearms through interstate travel. When the firearms only travel intrastate, they let the states decide.

458mag
05-19-2016, 01:22 AM
LEGALLY in the state I live you can LEGALLY mail a firearm to whom ever you want inside the state. It gets very tiring when folks quote what they think or feel like what the law should be. If you don't know then be quiet on the subject until you find out like the rest of us by READING the law. Its not a big secret.

Lonegun1894
05-19-2016, 02:33 AM
This is correct as long as your state allows it. Some states do not and all firearms must go through an FFL. The Federal government has the authority to regulate firearms through interstate travel. When the firearms only travel intrastate, they let the states decide.

Exactly correct! The only exceptions are when your State says otherwise. But the Feds don't get a say unless the item crosses State lines. Here in Texas, this is the way it is done. I mean, why would you let the govt stick it's nose where it doesn't belong when you don't have to?

historicfirearms
05-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Must ship guns to a FFL holder unless BP or old historical guns. You need the number on the box.

Are you saying you need the FFL holder's number on the box? If so, that is not true.

Geezer in NH
05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

That would be illegal per BATFE, marking as a firearm weather an FFL # or firearm.

Major complaint time to the postal authorities. That PO will get remedial training.

thegatman
05-19-2016, 10:10 AM
I think you don't have to tell USPS that it is a firearm. I just label it fragile. You must make sure it is sealed and secured in the box. If it is a shotgun, take it down and put it in a smaller well wrapped box. Your driver's license should be in the box. I usually ship it so they have to sign for it at the FFL end.

44man
05-19-2016, 10:19 AM
I shipped a Marlin to Jack Huntington. The lady had to call him and he faxed his FFL.
You can buy an antique without, WWII guns. I made a ML for my brother in law and had a discussion with the lady over it. She checked regs and it was OK to ship. You can get a cap and ball shipped but not a cartridge gun unless you have an FFL. I can buy a rifle out of state but not a handgun.
Maybe some states allow within the state so you must check. Bet a handgun is different.
I would not trust my revolver to arrive in Alaska if I sent it to myself. I don't live there.
How do you get a handgun to Africa?
I flew to Canada with a bow and had my sight and stabilizer in carry on---NO. Had to get the stabilizer into my checked bag in the bag room. Nasty bunch down there with me a 40 year United employee. Then all the holders in my bow case were busted from the monkeys.
My work in shipping had me make out thousands of Hazmat forms. But rifles in cases were never a problem. Handle with kid gloves but my way was to protect ALL luggage. Those people looking out the windows paid for me. not my supervisors.
I don't know how to ship a gun without an FFL now. I used to send for a revolver in the mail and get it. Now I have to pay for a back ground check at a gun store.
Even stores are funny, buy a rifle and you can't carry it to checkout. An employee carries it and it is handed to me outside the store. Dick's the worst for that. You are a danger buying a deer rifle!

historicfirearms
05-19-2016, 10:27 AM
You cannot buy wwII guns "without" an FFL. Curio and relic license ok. Please don't spew or absorb garbage on the internet regarding shipping of firearms. Mistakes here can get people thrown in jail.

44man
05-19-2016, 11:04 AM
They scan stuff today, find a gun and you might look through bars. Suck a ton of drugs and Obumbler will let you loose. Guns are different and just on a table, they are a threat to a city but millions are dead from drugs. killing babies by the millions is OK. Just imagine if your wife spit a baby and you shot it! But a coat hanger is fine.
Own a gun and you are a nut but you can have all the coat hangers you want.
i worked for UAL 42 years and after 911 I had to go through security. They took my fork and fingernail clippers out of my lunch bucket. Mechanics could not bring in tools. Do you know how many airplanes we worked on?
Go to the kitchen where they hired illegals, park out front with no security. They went to planes all day. Same at freight.
Could not speak English so a cart of bags never made the flight, cut off in the boonies. So stupid they could not find a gate.
All that clean planes could not speak English.
I was there. If you abide the law, with a gun, forget it. You can bet you will be interrogated by a creep in a Burka.

waksupi
05-19-2016, 11:11 AM
That would be illegal per BATFE, marking as a firearm weather an FFL # or firearm.

Major complaint time to the postal authorities. That PO will get remedial training.

I was told by the BATF to never label a box as containing a firearm, and to never tell the post office what is in the box.

Victor N TN
05-19-2016, 12:01 PM

I do that every time.

badbob454
05-19-2016, 12:34 PM
im thinking for insurance purposes... they did an inspect..

Grampo
05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
I was told by the BATF to never label a box as containing a firearm, and to never tell the post office what is in the box.

This is what the ATF recommends, however there is a catch 22 as some post offices and post masters will make you give them a letter saying the firearm is not concealable and unloaded, and may even open the box to verify. You can read all about the USPS regulations here: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Where some people might be getting confused with the FFL# on the box, is when a dealer sends a hand gun to another dealer. In this case a PS 1508 form must be filled out with both the shipper's and receiving FFL's numbers. They usually have me tape it to the box as the the postmaster has to stamp it with his special stamp of approval and keep it on file for a period of 1 year. I've had ignorant USPS workers try to get me to fill the 1508 form for long guns, which is when they get an education of what the laws and regulations say.

Other useful links:
UPS Firearms Guidelines: https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html
FedEx guidelines: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html

A little known fact is that when shipping a long gun between 2 individuals in the same state that allows it, you cannot ship via UPS or FedEx as it violates their terms of service. USPS is the only carrier that allows shipping a long gun between two unlicensed individuals in the same state.

Tom W.
05-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I sent a rifle USPS to a place to get it worked on in N.H. The man at the P.O. said no, but I had copies of the USPS regs and we calmly discussed and looked up in HIS book the regs. Then he asked how much I wanted to insure it for. He didn't know what the regs really said until he looked it up. I also had chapter and verse on the BATFE regs, just in case...

I sent a pistol to be worked on twice from here to NV via Fed Ex, with no problems at all. And I did buy a pistol over in Georgia, they transferred it to an FFL dealer here in Alabama for $10, and picked it up without a problem. I did have to fill out the yellow form here, but I left my cash in Ga.

Reverend Recoil
05-19-2016, 08:36 PM
USPS insurance is absolutely worthless. Try making a claim on it. I have told that to several USPS clerks and they each agreed but are required to offer it anyway.

Artful
05-20-2016, 12:58 PM
I used to hold an FFL and had another dealer ship me a handgun - the packaging said "entertainment unit".
Guess that fooled the postal thieves

Lonegun1894
05-20-2016, 01:40 PM
I've labeled them as "tools".

Jayhawkhuntclub
05-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Just for clarification: My understanding is that it is illegal to even carry a firearm into a USPO unless you were an FFL and shipping it. I don't get the impression that some of the people talking/being talked about shipping them via USPO have FFLs.
Am I right or wrong on this?

Lonegun1894
05-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Your understanding is incorrect. It is illegal to carry a firearm in for an unlawful purpose, such as if you were going to rob the place, but perfectly legal to carry a long gun in for shipping without an FFL, or to carry a handgun in for shipping with an FFL.

Code of Federal Regulations – Title 39 – which is named “Conduct on Postal Property” says “No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.”

Geezer in NH
05-22-2016, 04:48 PM
Just for clarification: My understanding is that it is illegal to even carry a firearm into a USPO unless you were an FFL and shipping it. I don't get the impression that some of the people talking/being talked about shipping them via USPO have FFLs.
Am I right or wrong on this?Look up the full law. Read all the exceptions. You will be surprised.