PDA

View Full Version : problem solved! Not boolit problem after all

rhill
05-17-2016, 08:51 PM
I have a Ruger mini 14 300blackout, bought it to shoot cast. Since day one with this rifle the rounds just do not want to chamber easily. I have to smack the operating rod handle to get the first round in the chamber, and about 1/2 of the follow up shots only partially chamber, then I have to smack it again. I tried several different Lee designs, sized from .309 to .311, bought a Noe mold (love this one), no good. I had a brainstorm, and a spare shellholder in case I mucked one up. Lee dies by the way. Anyway, I polished about 1.5 thou off the top of the shellholder and BAM!!! All rounds chamber smooth as butter! I think the Lee sizing die was not setting the shoulder back quite far enough, but it works now. For those blackout shooters with this problem you might want to try this trick, it only cost a shellholder , and just might fix your issues. I don't get a chance often to help out fellow shooters as they usually know more than me, but hopefully this does.:lovebooli

michiganmike
05-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Congratulations on some good critical thinking and creative problem solving.

runfiverun
05-17-2016, 09:56 PM
another problem that can crop up is using 223 brass.
the case is too thick and the round cannot chamber in the neck area.
it's got just enough clearance for a 308 jacketed bullet but not enough for a 310 cast boolit.
my most accurate 300 is this way [one of my more accurate rifles actually]

Hogstir
05-17-2016, 10:37 PM
I had the same problem with my 204 Ruger AR15. Bought a small base die set and that solved the problem.

Doc Highwall
05-17-2016, 11:30 PM
That is why I like to use the Hornady headspace gage. Find the longest case that was fired in your gun and set the shoulder back .003"-.004" from that dimension and you are good to go. I use it to set up all my dies now and keep a record.

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/products/hornady-locknload-headspace-gauge-kit.html

Shiloh
05-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Anyway, I polished about 1.5 thou off the top of the shellholder and BAM!!! All rounds chamber smooth as butter! I think the Lee sizing die was not setting the shoulder back quite far enough,fix your issues. I don't get a .:lovebooli

Good for you. I have dome this with a few shell holders myself. ;)
What a relief huh??

SHiloh

aspangler
05-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Shouldn't have to do this if the press cams over as it should. I had this happen with some 8mm I formed untill I reset the press so it would cam over. Problem solved.

Handloader109
05-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Just saw an advert for rbcs. They offer a set of shellholder that are stepped in thickness to help with this. Might be a good thing to have.

Victor N TN
05-19-2016, 10:55 PM
Just saw an advert for rbcs. They offer a set of shellholder that are stepped in thickness to help with this. Might be a good thing to have.

I know Redding has made them for several years. 15 at least. I have a couple of sets of different ones. I think they're great.

osteodoc08
05-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Case gauges are a great tool. Also the Hornady Head space gauge works
well too. You can measure from the datum and set your press up to bring the shoulder back .002-.003" and feed like greased lightning.