PDA

View Full Version : homemade penetrating oil

jonp
05-17-2016, 05:31 PM
Died in the wool fan of Kroil but its expensive. I found a thread online about homemade using 50/50 acetone/atf. Of course this is the day after i changed the tranny fluid in my honda and threw it out.

It sounded familiar so came back here and its half of bens red. I also found the old threads on here.

Will using mineral spirts instead of acetone work as well or should i mix up a batch of eds red and just use that?

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 05:41 PM
I greatly prefer acetone for degreasing as mineral spirts take too long too evaporate and it does not cut grease as well as acetone does. For use in Ed Red or as a penetrating oil I have no experience to comment.

bangerjim
05-17-2016, 05:56 PM
MS evaporates waaaaay too slow......unless that is what you want.

Acteone is what is normally used with NEW CLEAN ATF, not old burned stuff. ATF is dirt cheap as is acetone.

banger

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
If you can't purchase it in your area that's one thing. Nail polish remover is nothing more than acetone. Acetone is also used at the hospital too wash the tar out of road rash and yes it hurts like h**l. Acetone isn't as bad as some believe.

Taylor
05-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Acetone and atf works.As stated new atf. mix 50/50.

376Steyr
05-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Check out your local beauty-shop supply store for acetone in big bottles. You might get a bargain. My wife dragged me into one while she was shopping for nail polish, and I discovered the most amazing collection of industrial chemicals in gallon-sized plastic bottles.

victorfox
05-17-2016, 06:34 PM
Got to check this but at least here the wife's nail stuff is quite dilluted... Prolly not so strong as industrial grade?

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Just a side note. Kroil is great but it's not what is used to be. In about 1994 they changed the formula to comply with the EPA for GSA sales.

376Steyr
05-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Got to check this but at least here the wife's nail stuff is quite dilluted... Prolly not so strong as industrial grade?

This internet thingy is amazing. Here is a guy who seems to know something about the subject: http://www.nailcarehq.com/ask-doug-purchase-acetone/

Like I said, I was surprised to find so many chemicals for sale in such a place. The shop closed a few months later, maybe the fire inspector took a dim view of having multiple gallons of acetone in plastic jugs sitting on a shelf in a retail store.

jonp
05-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Hope I can get to the walmart before my wife finds out she has no acetone left ;)

I'll use the 50/50 mix. I'm removing struts, ball joints etc on the car. I've used PB Blaster and Kroil so far. I'll try the acetone/atf and tell everyone how it works.

$6 will make me 1/2 gal of fluid. Much cheaper than kroil or PB Blaster.

gwpercle
05-17-2016, 07:20 PM
The 50/50 ATF and acetone came out on top of a penetrating oil test , it beat Kroil ,WD40 , Blaster and several others in the test. Was also the cheapest. Wish I could remember where I saw that test...it was impressive.

Ed's Red bore solvent is of course good . Equal parts ATF , mineral spirits , Kerosene and acetone.

A good general purpose lubricant is equal parts ATF and Kerosene.

A good cleaner for dies and lubri-sizer is equal parts ATF and mineral spirits...cleans and lubricates.
I used a bunch of this cleaning up an old Lyman 450 of old lube crud. Ed's Red works well for this also, the ATF and mineral spirits are not as aggressive, but for old lube it is great.

Don't be so cheap as to used old ATF...get the new stuff. I was thinking about trying synthetic ATF, of course I have no idea if it would be any better than regular ATF.
I like the synthetic two stroke oil for mould lubing ...any one know about synthetic ATF ?
Gary

Mal Paso
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM
I've kept a spray can of ATF/Acetone on the service truck for several years now. Got this one on Amazon for $32. Says 100 PSI but 25 is enough. Mechanix Illustrated and several others did the test. ATF/Acetone always came out on top.

JSnover
05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
The 50/50 ATF and acetone came out on top of a penetrating oil test , it beat Kroil ,WD40 , Blaster and several others in the test. Was also the cheapest. Wish I could remember where I saw that test...it was impressive.

Gary
The test I recall was in "Machinist Workshop" magazine. I don't have that issue anymore but here is a pdf http://www.mvcconline.org/catagory4/Home%20made%20penatrating%20oil.pdf

jonp
05-17-2016, 08:26 PM
The test I recall was in "Machinist Workshop" magazine. I don't have that issue anymore but here is a pdf http://www.mvcconline.org/catagory4/Home%20made%20penatrating%20oil.pdf

That's where I got it from. I came back here and it was referenced in an old thread from 2012 I think or earlier.

bangerjim
05-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't use fingernail polish remover! Carp in there.

Every hardware store and big box everywhere sells acetone in quart cans. But some and mix with ATF.

bangerjim

gunauthor
05-17-2016, 08:44 PM
For a good cheap penetrating oil try Marvel Mystery Oil. Works well and doesn't smell nasty like PB Blaster.......

C.F.Plinker
05-17-2016, 09:04 PM
My go-to oil for general gun lubrication is 2 parts Dexron ATF and 1 part STP. It stays where you put it and doesn't run. Just put a little on your fingertip and rub it on the shiny spots as you reassemble the gun. This way you just get a very thin film where it needs to be.

Once the gun is assembled you want an oil that will wick into where it needs to go. The same 2 parts ATF but with one part deodorized kerosene instead of the STP. This one penetrates much better.

If you want to see how something penetrates get two pieces of glass and put one on the top of the other with a quarter to half inch where they don't overlap. Now just put a drop of oil on the step that you made. You will see it wick between the two pieces of glass. Some just sit there and slowly ooze into the crack while others look like they were sucked in by a vacuum.

Smoke4320
05-17-2016, 09:13 PM
Pvc pipe cleaner is also acetone

randyrat
05-17-2016, 09:15 PM
To loosen rusted bolts use heat and beeswax, it will suck right in there and help break it loose. Use where you can use heat, other sensitive areas use penetrating oil.

runfiverun
05-17-2016, 09:40 PM
acetone and atf will penetrate it'll get into places you wouldn't think it would get.
brake fluid will eat the paint off anything but is a great penetrating oil too.

SSGOldfart
05-18-2016, 12:49 AM
I've used brake fluid and acetone but maybe ATF will work better? I've got a nipple stuck in a muzzleloader that just won't come out,any other ideas to remove it and the breech plug???????

M-Tecs
05-18-2016, 01:24 AM
I've used brake fluid and acetone but maybe ATF will work better? I've got a nipple stuck in a muzzleloader that just won't come out,any other ideas to remove it and the breech plug???????

I don't think this would work but something to think about. http://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/

It is a rust remover and it will take the bluing off, but I have used it on larger coarse threads to dissolve the rust on frozen fasteners

jonp
05-18-2016, 04:35 AM

Freeze Off? http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05002-Freeze-Off-Super-Penetrant/dp/B000TFTH00

w5pv
05-18-2016, 07:11 AM
I made up a gallon of Ben's Red and us it half and half with kroil does pretty good on cleaning crud and other stuff.Then I use Kroil Micro lube keep things lubed.

bangerjim
05-18-2016, 08:09 AM
If you cannot find acetone, you can use most lacquer thinners also. The main ingredient in laq thinner is acetone. Every brand varies as to other components...read the can.

Home Depot and Lowe's both carry standard solvents like those, and more. Like Naphtha, MEK, methanol, mineral spirits, paint thinner, and more. In quart cans. I buy mine from industrial paint supply houses in gallon cans. And NOT in plastic jugs!!!!! OMG. No wonder that place shut down.

banger

SSGOldfart
05-18-2016, 11:19 AM
I don't think this would work but something to think about. http://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/

It is a rust remover and it will take the bluing off, but I have used it on larger coarse threads to dissolve the rust on frozen fasteners
Yep that clean up a little surface rust,I plan to use EVAPO-rust to remove the bluing after I get this nipple unstuck, long story but I loaned this muzzleloader to a brother-I-Law,14 or 15 years ago,after he passed away I've got it back with rust inside and outside of the barrel,I plan to rebuilt this one,but first I had to unload it. And that's when I learned it was rusted together at the nipple.

gwpercle
05-18-2016, 01:09 PM
For a good cheap penetrating oil try Marvel Mystery Oil. Works well and doesn't smell nasty like PB Blaster.......

A 2003 test revealed that MMO is :
74 % mineral Oil
25 % Stoddard's Solvent ( highly refined white mineral spirits)
1 % Lard ( animal fat from the hog )
So it's mostly mineral oil and mineral spirits.... 75 % ATF and 25 % mineral spirits would be a good substitute if you don't have any MMO on hand.
Gary

gwpercle
05-18-2016, 01:13 PM

Give the ATF - acetone a good try , let it soak for a week or more, keep applying more each day. I submerged a totally rusted part for a month and got it apart and cleaned. don't rush it.
Gary

victorfox
05-18-2016, 05:56 PM
376Steyr I was pretty sure the thing was diluted. I also found some banana oil in the wife's stuff and voila Hatchers' notebook if I'm not wrong calls it in a recipe for gun cleaning oil... I too have wasted a big deal of time among the bottles in the beauty shops with the wife looking for "interesting" stuff... But the best place is the paint store always....LOL

KYCaster
05-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Pvc pipe cleaner is also acetone

PVC pipe cleaner is MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) not the same as acetone.

Jerry

jonp
05-18-2016, 08:49 PM
First try with 50/50. Daughters jeep threw the rear cv joint. I took it off at the slip joint but the cv was bone dry and seized to the shaft. Soaked it with penetrating oil, let it sit a bit and it tapped off with a hammer.

Nose Dive
05-19-2016, 12:38 AM
OK guys... GOOD GRIEF!!! Solutions...solutions...solutions!! JEEEZZZZ

First...my question to each...is ''WADDA YOU WANTA DO"?... this is really where we need to go....

1. Lube old parts?
2. Break rusted frozen parts?
3. Clean old parts,,,rusty..grimy...cosmoline coated?
4. Open old parts and not need to relube them?
5. What are we tying to do and what is the 'lube' we need?

Ed's Red. Ben's Red. Joe Bob's Red. What are you trying to get "DONE" with the solution?

OK...Nail polish is Acetone rich. May have some 'sent' so Momma likes it her fingers. (buy in jugs at Lowe's)

ATF...Old atf... say Dextron 3 or so was Aliphatic rich and was a good solvent and made good for years in the tyranny.

New ATF, is not a good source of aliphatics and doesn't do what some want it to do.

MEK...Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a great solvent and you can get it a Lowe's, Home Depot...etc...etc..in a gallon metal jug.

Diesel fuel... heavy penetrating liquid... get it at the gas station... Frozen engine...soak in diesel for 48 hours and manually crank the shaft.... it stinks...sticks and will make engine oil look and act like ice tea.

Mineral Spirits..STOTTARDS solution... Nice stuff...like diesel but does not stink.... Heavy hydro carbon...

GOO GONE...good stuff for removing the TAX sticker on your windshield... Bit of Mek and Mineral spirits....

Brake FLuid... Ahhh geeess... more lite lube and aliphatic so it doesn't freeze and not gum up....

JET A FUEL... Kerosene with NO WATER.... It will freeze in the stratosphere if you have water... and the planes engine
will stop workings.... Just get some Kero from the gas station......

KROIL...WD 40... Marvel Mystery OIL....jeesss... Nice lubes...some have some heavy waxes to 'stick'' some do not...
add the ATF 3 and the alphatic solvents make them SLIPPERY>>>>>>

OK...so..now....where are we?

Again..WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?

Lube? Get a lubricating oil with no solvents.....

Break up old rusted ****?.... Solvents with some lubes... Ed's Red?

Clean off rust?....Solvents... with some mineral spirits... AKA RUSTOLEUM...

To clean old nasty parts...greasy...rusty....I use my Ed's Red.... FOR GUN PARTS..

4 oz GOO GONE
8 oz Dextron 3
8 oz acetone
12 oz mineral spirits
8 oz MEK
12 oz Marvel Oil
4 oz Pennzoil 40W Motor Oil

I soak old bearings...rings...bolts... you name it... The acetone and MEK are aggressive... As is the GOO GONE.

I soak and scrub... and re-soak...NO... do not put in any part back inservice with out 'pre lube' for appropriate service.

To put anything back in service... blow with air...wipe dry... lube with ASME lube as directed... grease..oil..per spec....

Once done...all is done.

OH...hot burnt engine...mmmmm... Drain oil..replace oil plug....pull spark plugs...fill case..pistons..on cool engine with DIESLE FUEL...let sit... two days in my opinion...or...usually... a week as these are generally an issue I have time for...

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good, Kindly pick two.

jonp
05-19-2016, 04:26 AM
where do I find the recipe for Joe Bob's Red?

MrWolf
05-19-2016, 09:55 AM
I've kept a spray can of ATF/Acetone on the service truck for several years now. Got this one on Amazon for $32. Says 100 PSI but 25 is enough. Mechanix Illustrated and several others did the test. ATF/Acetone always came out on top.

I need your address to send the bill :bigsmyl2: . I just bought two.

aephilli822
05-20-2016, 03:07 PM
where do I find the recipe for Joe Bob's Red?

I think Nose Dive's red is pretty close.....

jonp
05-20-2016, 07:24 PM
I think Nose Dive's red is pretty close.....

maybe. sounds like a guy who finished off the case of Bud putting in CV Joints just grabbed left over bottles of everything in the garage and dumped them in a pot.

Mal Paso
05-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Ammonia and Clorox are great cleaners but you don't want to mix the two. I wouldn't just start mixing stuff just 'cuz it sounded good. :bigsmyl2:

bangerjim
05-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Ammonia and Clorox are great cleaners but you don't want to mix the two. I wouldn't just start mixing stuff just 'cuz it sounded good. :bigsmyl2:

Whooooooooo.......Hoooooooo! Ammonia + Clorox! Good stuff! Cleans out your sinuses reeeeeeel good! Home Chemistry, Making Life..........END!

Seriously, do not mix household chemicals/cleaners. Serious and unexpected thing can happen.

leebuilder
05-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Atf and acetone can't be beat, use in the boat yard alot, only let me down once. Brake fluid is great too, eats up crud and paint. Working on boilers we used Tabasco sauce as a penatrant and it worked very well.
Be well

quasi
05-23-2016, 01:11 AM
acetone is pricey around here, for outside use I use gasoline and ATF, much cheaper.

trapper9260
05-23-2016, 05:15 AM

I made some of this when I mounted a reptile and did not want to damage it.It put the animal to sleep. if you are not careful with it you will put yourself to sleep .It is what use to put people to sleep the old days for surgery,That is what i know of for now but if use make sure it is vented.

MrWolf
05-23-2016, 10:52 AM
^^^ Ain't that illegal in most states? :kidding:

leftiye
05-24-2016, 04:54 AM
After my can of Kroil had to be moved to a glass jar because the oil had penetrated the rolled seal at the bottom of the can, I figured that was as good of penetration as was feasibble. Any better would probly dissolve metal.

MtGun44
05-26-2016, 01:50 AM
ATF and lacquer thinner, 50/50. Works extremely well.

Good example. Last week I was trying to get a Honda CRV front disk loose from the hub.
There is a tightly fitted central spigot that centers the disk to the hub, and the disk has
two screws which I removed, and then put two 8mm jackscrews in the provided
jackscrew holes and started cranking. No movement, finally a bit of lifting on the
area around the jackscrews, but still stuck hard at the center spigot. Getting close
to stripping the jackscrews, so I pulled out my oil can of 50/50 ATF mix and put a
few shots on the crack between the disk center and the spigot on the hub. As I
put the 4th or 5th shot on it, and stopped, putting the pumper down. It suddenly
went "sproning!", and popped free as the oil worked down into the crack and the
preload of the jackscrews lifted it free.

IME, nothing is close.

Bill

Teddy (punchie)
05-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Brake fuild and motor oil mixed. More brake fuild if I need the heavy rust loosed.

Others I use are used motor oil.

Diesel fuel.