PDA

View Full Version : Should I help or refer to gunsmith?

daengmei
05-17-2016, 03:38 PM
A former coworker bought a used Taurus in .45 cal that the previous owner said he had worked on the trigger because he had some sort of nerve damage (a soldier I should add). He has asked me to check out the firearm for safety, he is a new shooter. I bought a trigger pull gauge that I would not ever need but for helping out with this. I thought to check the pull, do function checks and determine if the striker will fall from bumping. Thought I could find the factory pull weight listed somewhere and advise him from there.

I have been told that altering a handgun for pull weight could be illegal, not sure about that.

I'm now just thinking that he should return the handgun to Taurus, especially since there is a recall on some of their products. It doesn't help that I'm having a time coordinating with him. I hate being on call....

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 03:57 PM
I have been told that altering a handgun for pull weight could be illegal, not sure about that.

100% BS

If you don't want to do the inspection or are not qualified to do the inspection refer him to a local smith unless it is currently under recall.

Sending it back to Taurus will cost him about $56.00 each way and they may return it to crappy factory spec. Costing him $112.00 and possibly having a good trigger job changed back to crappy factory spec is not good advise.

rockrat
05-17-2016, 05:07 PM
A 1911 type gun or one of their 45 revolvers or something else? My Taurus 1911 has about a 4 lb pull with just a little creep.

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 05:25 PM
The OP stated "and determine if the striker will fall from bumping". Since revolvers and 1911 have hammers it should be a 24/7 G2. I am not sure if Taurus has made other striker fired 45's.

DougGuy
05-17-2016, 05:47 PM
If it has been hacked I would have it repaired. The simple truth is that the bottom feeders will attempt to use everything they can to villify a defensive shooter into the worst kind of monster. A worked over trigger will have them grinning from ear to ear. Why leave them the option?

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 05:57 PM
If it has been hacked I would have it repaired. The simple truth is that the bottom feeders will attempt to use everything they can to villify a defensive shooter into the worst kind of monster. A worked over trigger will have them grinning from ear to ear. Why leave them the option?

Would not that also apply to modifying cylinder throats to make a revolver more accurate thus more deadly? Give me a break. Like reloads for SD were has a trigger job ever been an issue in a SD case?

Back to the OP's question if it passes the safety and function checks why would you want to change anything unless the trigger was made heavier to compensate for lack of feeling due to nerve damage? I did this once on a pre 64 model 70 for a friend that lost feeling in his hand.

Mal Paso
05-17-2016, 07:48 PM

I thought a "Bottom Feeder" was a Semi-Auto. :bigsmyl2:

Minerat
05-17-2016, 09:59 PM
I thought a "Bottom Feeder" was a Semi-Auto. :bigsmyl2:

No that's one of those TV attorneys on morning shows promising to get you a million bucks for ramming a disabled truck on an off ramp because you were HUA.:D

WILCO
05-18-2016, 12:07 AM
I'd just refer a licensed gunsmith. Limit your liability. It's cheaper for you.

waksupi
05-18-2016, 12:19 AM
A Taurus is a piece of **** from the day it leaves the factory. Don't mess with it, let some other poor sucker have the pleasure. You could not run fast enough to give me a Taurus.

nvbirdman
05-18-2016, 12:44 AM
As far as the trigger modification goes, all the new owner has to say is "It was that way when I bought it".

daengmei
05-18-2016, 08:04 AM
I am referring him. Thanks.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-18-2016, 08:22 AM
I doubt if a lightened trigger could have any bearing on criminal law. It is possible that lightening the trigger might be considered contributory irresponsibility in a civil case arising from an accidental discharge. Or if you handed it to someone who didn't know it, at the range, it might be considered an extenuating circumstance - for him - if he achieved the accidental discharge.

He could hardly be afraid of the double action pull being dangerously light, so presumably he is talking about single action. It might be an idea to look at the parts, and see which looks like it has been worked on. Replacing that could be a lot cheaper than the expenses mentioned above. Of course that would presumably return it to the factory trigger pull. But somebody must like it that way.

frkelly74
05-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Too bad you have to consider lawyers interpretation of how something looks before helping a friend. But I suppose that just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that the aren't really out to get you. It can be a can of worms. If you feel out of your depth then it is right to pass it on.

daengmei
05-18-2016, 05:16 PM
There's no paranoia here, just asked about the statement from someone else. It sounded rather ridiculous and now that I am probably paranoid it seems to have been a stupid question..... My decision is based more on the other guy not wanting to meet my time arrangements. Not a gunsmith but it's not rocket science to do proper function checks.

I didn't mention friend anywhere.

frkelly74
05-18-2016, 08:22 PM
no offense intended. If I have assumed things I shouldn't have I sincerely apologize.

aspangler
05-18-2016, 08:48 PM
A Taurus is a piece of **** from the day it leaves the factory. Don't mess with it, let some other poor sucker have the pleasure. You could not run fast enough to give me a Taurus.
Then send it to me.