PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Sizing Questions

Beaverhunter2
05-14-2008, 12:10 AM
First let me say thanks to everyone for answering my never-ending questions! You guys are a big help to a newbie!

Now, here we go again.

My 480's smallest cylinder throat slugs at .4770 on the smallest dimension and .4775 on the largest. The largest throat goes .4775 (smallest) and .4780 on the largest. My mold casts ACWW at .4775 on the smallest dimension and .4810 on the largest. Question 1. What size would you suggest I size my boolits to? Question 2. Can I get a Lee sizer to do it in one step? I'm going to need to have a custom Lee sizer made because they don't make any in the standard sizes near .475. Last question (for now! :oops:)- could I open up a .457 sizer I don't need?

My 1895M is just loving cast boolits! Accurate, no leading, just a joy to shoot.

On the other hand, my .480 loves lead, too. So much so it tries to take some from every boolit that passes through it! My previous boolits were casting small. I'm hoping these larger boolits will help but I'm concerned they are too big to shoot as cast.

Thanks again for all the help!

John

BTW Two more molds should come in tomorrow's UPS truck from Natchez! A TL314 90gr SWC and a TL401 175gr TC. It figures I'd have commitments I can't break for tomorrow evening! :( Something tells me I'll be staying up late!

454PB
05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't own a .480, but here's my thoughts. You didn't say what the bore slugs, but I think I'd size to .477". That can be done easily in one pass. I've opened up Lee sizers, but never that much (.457" to .477") My guess is that it can be done, but if I were you, I'd open up the .475". .002" is easily done with some fine emery cloth wrapped around a wood dowel and rolled on your thigh.

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 01:04 AM
with a good bit of oil ,there is a sticky on this i believe
and 477 sounds like a good place to start.
you may want to have them cylinders opened to the same size.
then maybe go to 478 sizer.