PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Seattle area?--few questions

rockrat
05-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Might be up in the area later in the year for a quick trip.

Good places for seafood and things to do? Where to stay away from too!! Might try deep sea fishing, where to go for that?

thanks

PS Paul
05-16-2016, 09:55 PM
If you want good seafood, there are many places in and around downtown, but one of my favorites is a chain called Anthony's. A little pricey, but consistently good and several Seattle-area locations. Pike St market is fun if you want to see the guys throw the salmon around, but lots of people. Not all good people, you know? Pike Street brewery and eatery is there and they are pretty outstanding, if you enjoy UK-style beers! Actually, it's a pretty spectacular brewery and the food is good as well. Gets crowded....
Visiting the flagship REI store is kinda cool. They are full retail on most items, but the building itself is pretty unbelievable.
If you want deep-sea fishing you gotta go to the coast. Three to four hours away. Fishing in Puget Sound is right there. Unfortunately, salmon seasons are tenuous and they may close salmon earlier than usual. If you are here in July and August, salmon can be good in the sound. If you decide to go to the coast, deep sea can be salmon, ling cod, halibut, rockfish, sea bass (scores of those and easy to catch-good eating too), or albacore tuna! Tuna can be outrageously good, but they can be 15 miles out or 80 miles out! Neah Bay, Sekiu or Westport (a little further from Seattle, but closer to Olympia) all have charter fleets and don't cost too much. I've been out of the rod & gun business for nearly four years now, so I don't have contacts any more, but salmon university.com is a good place to start and that is solely an educational and informational website I was involved with for over 12 years and I trust the owner who I know personally.

There are scads of additional opportunities for crabbing in Puget Sound and bass fishing too.

You will ill find that WA fishing regs are oppressively convoluted and this year's salmon season closures might be the worst in history. That process is playing out right now.

What part of Seattle will you be visiting? It's a big area....
paul

OeldeWolf
05-17-2016, 02:02 PM
I always liked Ivar's Acres of clams, right on the docks. I hope it is still there. And I usually find the waterfront interesting, and ye olde curiosity shop can be fun to explore.

The tour of underground downtown Seattle was a lot of fun, several years ago, as well.

PS Paul
05-17-2016, 02:49 PM
I always liked Ivar's Acres of clams, right on the docks. I hope it is still there. And I usually find the waterfront interesting, and ye olde curiosity shop can be fun to explore.

The tour of underground downtown Seattle was a lot of fun, several years ago, as well.
The waterfront area adjacent the Alaskan Way viaduct is completely torn up right now. They closed the 99 viaduct and tunnel-boring below with surface streets a real mess.

But since you'll be out at the coast, you gotta get a charter for the rockfish and Black Sea bass at the very least. Port Townsend is a must-visit for you as well. Pretty beautiful on the Olympic peninsula. You'll have fun!