PDA

View Full Version : I hate thieves!

tomme boy
05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
It has been a rough year for me. My diabetes has been getting worse and the insulin is starting to not work. I am one of the highest dosage user that my doctors have. Earlier in the year I fell and broke my wrist. A month ago we had a hail storm and I had a bunch of dents on my car hood and roof from it. The insurance company wrote me a check for the damage. So i went and ordered a new Garmin side image depth finder for my boat. Well someone thought they wanted it more than I did. The got to it on my front porch before I could.

UPS or the seller could do nothing as it said it was delivered and after that it is my responsibility. So..... there went $600 down the drain.

Now fast forward to this after noon. I decide to go fishing. I get out onto the river and then I notice that all of my fishing poles are gone. I put them in the boat last night as I felt like I was going to go today. 2 were brand new Whisker Seeker catfishing poles and new Shimano 300 bait caster and a new Abu Garcia 6500 baitcaster.

All I know is that I HATE THIEVES. All I know is fishing is about all I can do anymore. As it takes no effort to just sit in the boat. I can hardly do anything anymore and then these pricks take this from me.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Man--that's pretty rough. Do you have, or can you borrow any trailcams? Set a couple up and get some pictures, because it sounds like he/they will be back. Next time it may be the motor or entire boat.

bangerjim
05-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear about troubles. Carp like that is NOT supposed to happen in Iowa!!!!!! I grew up there and we didn't even lock our doors.

Oh, I forgot.........Iowa has a stinking drug problem too. We REALLY need that wall.

You are being targeted by probably the same clowns. Put everthing under lock & key!

And that is why I have everything delivered to my office and not my front door. If you order a bunch of stuff by mail, get a mailbox store (UPS) address that is secure. Well worth the cost.

God be with you, friend.

bangerjim

jcren
05-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Hate to say it, but sounds like one of your neighbors. People suck these days.

victorfox
05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
We have a big thief problem here and growing because of supporting leftists. I got my spare tire stolen, they broke both door locks of my car, this all happening in 3,different occasions. My BIL got his house burglarized once and was robbed in the front door another time, my FIL was robbed and spanked in the street by armed robbers and got his truck stolen. That said if I get any SOB doing deeds with my stuff he'll be in serious trouble.

tomme boy
05-16-2016, 07:21 PM
Pretty sure it is someone close to my house. But how to catch them???

jonp
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Isn't something of that value a signature required item? Sorry to hear about the thieves. I had some years ago break into my storage unit and steal guns, tools etc. They are lucky I wasn't anywhere near there.

imashooter2
05-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Which one of your neighbors has a kid on smack?

imashooter2
05-16-2016, 07:35 PM

Surveillance cameras are relatively inexpensive these days.

KCSO
05-16-2016, 07:40 PM
PM me with your shipping address I have a bunch of fising stuuf I was going to put on yard sale, I'll send it off to you.

RogerDat
05-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Surveillance cameras are relatively inexpensive these days.

This or borrow a game trail camera. Capture surveillance camera on lap top or computer in the house. Give pictures to police. Bait the boat with some cheap junk garage sale fishing poles, or the porch with a box with a chunk of wood or a $3 garage sale radio or something in it. Make it so the neighborhood thief comes to the camera.

Oh and if the person is "unknown" print off sheets and put them around the neighborhood. At least that way they might get caught out by someone, or at least your neighbors will be warned to be on the look out.

PS Paul
05-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Tomme, I remember when you fell and broke your wrist. Crappy deal.

You know, we had a deal a few years back on an Accurate mold. It is one of my favorites. Always been thankful for that. I was in the retail fishing & gun business for many years and have accumulated a LOT of stuff. Are you left or right-hand retrieve? Let me know and PM me. I have some 5500's, 6500's and a Shimano 300 or two. PM me and I'll send something along.
Paul

Blackwater
05-16-2016, 08:47 PM
The game cam is the way to go, but make sure it's hidden so they don't steal that, too! I hate theives, too. My home and the 4 surrounding it have been very lucky. I had an old classmate who was a notorious thief living in front of me for some years. He died not long ago. I tried to get along with him, but he was afraid of me. He knew I wasn't one to trifle with, so ... he didn't. He once was partners with a "friend" in a good business, but he kept tearing checks out of the back of the checkbook and cashing them. What he was doing with the money, nobody knows. Gambling maybe? Who cares? Caught him once using my garden tractor/mower to mow his lawn with my gas can sitting in his yard as he mowed. I'd come home very sick, and you should have seen the look on his face! I finally got him to come over to my truck, and he started to stutter out soemthing stupid. I stopped him and said, "Go put that thing in the garage where you got it, and the gas can, too, and don't EVER let me see you using it again. You got that?" He did as instructed, and I never had another problem from him.

Another guy who was a notorious dog thief (I think he was selling them to pharmaceutical/cosmetic companies as "test dogs"), lived nearby. I told him once that if I EVER got any indication that he'd stolen one of my dogs, he'd regret it PAINFULLY. He moved not long after that. I'd had him under my supervision before on other criminal (theft) offenses. Sometimes, you just have to deal with thieves in a very forthright manner, and simply let them know that it's not just a matter of the law to deal with for some people. Most thieves are cowards in the first place, and if they can believe you, they usually seek easier targets. Especially when they know you're onto them and aren't likely to be PC in dealing with them. Not an ideal situation, but it works. Has so far, at least, but nothing works all the time against everything and everyone. Most thieves are opportunist, and have something in mind when they do what they do. Quick in, quick out.

Give the game cam a try. And when you catch them, if you do, don't forget to let the sheriff know that you want them to pay restitution. Nothing so galls a thief more than having to repay what they stole. It's good "reality therapy" for them. Back when I was with probation, I had a number of thieves, sentenced to pay restitution, tell me they weren't going to pay it because it wasn't "fair." I'd just laugh and say "Don't be stupid! These people are out real money, and may not be able to replace what you stole. You're the reason they've suffered and you ARE going to pay them back, or you're going to do time. Your choice. I can go either way with you." They always paid.

Again, it's very good "therapy" to pay restitution for what has been stolen, and since the stuff can't be recovered, they usually pay full price for replacements. Some won't take the simple time to go to court, but that's THEIR problem, I guess. Letting thieves get by with what they do is NOT good policy, in my book, though.

bayjoe
05-16-2016, 08:54 PM
#4 Victor Leg hold trap. You may not catch em but when they wake you up in the middle of the night screaming from getting caught in the trap you can get a small sense of retribution.

*moderator hat* DO NOT DO THIS! THEY CAN SUE YOUR *** OFF FOR INJURY!

country gent
05-16-2016, 09:12 PM
Ive had things stolen before ( Lawn mower, domed tent, and other odds and end equipment). The sad thing is its not always the value of what was stolen but the feeling of being violated and the loss of the feeling of security thats the bigger issue. One thing to do is post a description and serial numbers if possible around and give lists to police and local pawn shopsThe police may send them out to pawn shops in a larger area even. But if they are moved thru local shows flea markets or bars hope of recovery or catching them is low. Id everything and in such a way it dosnt show or is hard to remove.

labradigger1
05-16-2016, 09:14 PM

Bait! Stick some fishing poles and a tackle box in plain view.
Sit in the shadows with a couple of small brass friends and... Well, you know.
Sorry this is happening to you tomme, I've been following your plight and you certainly do not need this.
I hope things get better for you.

Oily
05-16-2016, 09:16 PM
I work in the oilfield in NW OK and we have thieves stealing copper wire from pumping unit elec supply overhead cables. Game cams are essential to catching these perps. We have caught 2 as to date and they are METH addicts and not too smart. If you need help with game cams PM me. OSBI helps us with this problem and I bet your state police can help you too. I Hate Thieves.

9w1911
05-16-2016, 09:23 PM
Borrow some game cameras from buddies. Then put out some bait. Dont use a real item, put a nice UPS box out there with a brick and note in it. Put a camera at the door, but also put one across from your home, in a vantage where if someone would park and walk up to the home.

Beagle333
05-16-2016, 09:32 PM
I agree with them prolly going to repeat the crime. Not sure where to put cameras though. When they took my stuff, they noticed and took my trail camera too!

victorfox
05-16-2016, 09:48 PM
If you could get a big mean dog... We got news from a goblin entering the house while the owner was out. Too bad for him there was a huge fila Brasileiro there and the dog mauled him badly. It was recorded by the cam in the back yard...

lightman
05-16-2016, 10:03 PM
You have had a tough row to hoe my friend! I also hate theives and really hope I never catch one because he will probably pay the price for himself and all of the others. Hang in there. Think about the cameras, it sounds like they will return.

tomme boy
05-16-2016, 10:12 PM
I already spoke to the one neighbor that I have a feeling about. After talking to him, I feel even more confident it might be him. He seems a little as in a lot strung out. He looks like he has not slept for about 2 weeks. I think I might just leave another pole in the boat with a bunch of circle hooks tied with some braided line all over the boat.

dragon813gt
05-16-2016, 10:27 PM
I feel your pain. Had a couple thousand pounds of lead stolen from me last year. Decided to take inventory yesterday, and I'm short about 700#s again. Then I counted the cash in the safe, short hundreds. A family member is doing this. Everything is under lock and key and I have the only one. No clue how she got the safe combo. And she obviously copied the key while I was asleep.

Trap is set set at this point. I put a trail camera directly above the safe. It's 12' up and I have the ladder that can reach it w/ me. I'm intentionally leaving things as they were so I can catch her in the act. Once I have pictures it's all over. At that point I'm prosecuting. But I need the proof first.

Having anything stolen from you absolutely sucks. It's such a horrible feeling. Even more so when it's blood. I know you just have to cut them off which is very hard. If it's a neighbor just set them up, get some pictures and prosecute.

tomme boy
05-16-2016, 11:01 PM
I remember when you posted about the lead. What makes it worse is when it is family. They are the ones that are supposed to be watching for you. I have a friend that I just talked to. He has 4 new infrared flash trail cams I can use. I feel I may be setting a trap after letting things cool off a little.

imashooter2
05-16-2016, 11:26 PM
I already spoke to the one neighbor that I have a feeling about. After talking to him, I feel even more confident it might be him. He seems a little as in a lot strung out. He looks like he has not slept for about 2 weeks. I think I might just leave another pole in the boat with a bunch of circle hooks tied with some braided line all over the boat.

Do not leave booby traps. Case law will be solidly against you.

duckey
05-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Tomme boy, sent you a pm

jcren
05-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Look for "black box" or cellular game cams. Cellular are expensive, but text pics to your phone, whether stolen or not, and black box cams are more affordable and broadcast pics to a dedicated storage "box" some distance away for storage. Pics of the thief stealing the cam are always good.

Mytmousemalibu
05-17-2016, 01:09 AM
Go to your local outdoor gear retailer, ask for some nice high-end product boxes, "the kind of expensive goodies that make the thieves drools",type of boxes. Take'em home, add excrement to said boxes to simulate product weight place on the porch and a trailcam or spy camera watching the area. You get a two-fer, ID of the scumbag and the scum gets a box of _____. You could leave out the poop part but a little revenge is sweet and well deserved.

tomme boy
05-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Do not leave booby traps. Case law will be solidly against you.fish hooks are part of fishing.

imashooter2
05-17-2016, 07:24 AM
fish hooks are part of fishing.

Not when they're tied up around the boat. The police will know the difference same as you would. And then POOF! You become the criminal and the scum the victim. I urge you not to do it.

leftiye
05-17-2016, 08:36 AM
I am diabetic too. I've always been a high dosage insulin patient (means the insulin doesn't work, and it's not your fault). Most of my time as a diabetic I've come to think none of the medications worked for me. Unless I starved, I couldn't control my blood sugar. The doctors give you what the insurance wants to pay for. If they won't give you good insulin, get another doctor, and do it yesterday. Humulin u-500, Victoza, Novolog, timed release metformin werks fer me now.

OS OK
05-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Can't remember the title of the movie I saw years back…but, they put a Bobcat in a suitcase. When the thief stole it, then ran to the awaiting car to speed off he opened the suitcase…Uh Oh…

Thieves need some 'special' attention.

Half Dog
05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
I had a delivery issue one time that sounds like your experience. I got it replaced because I never received it and took ownership of the item. The driver said that he left it but nobody could prove that.

mold maker
05-17-2016, 03:19 PM
It's happening like an epidemic. Three times in the last month here.
The LE do what they do best and take a report, but you're left holding an empty bag.
First night it was a drunk teen sleeping it off in my car. He got scared and left a shoe, wallet and some cigs. Cops took them as evidence and I locked the car. Next night he returned and knocked out a side glass trying to find his stuff. So now I'm out the cost of replacing the window. The next week my son borrowed my truck and left it parked in his drive next to the street. Someone (I suspect the same one) broke in and made off with all my CDs, a 5 cell mag light, and a big multitool.
Again a report was taken and I am totally PO.
As with the other posters, next time, it will be heck to pay if I get proof.
LEO confidentially said there would be little done and he'll be back, out for revenge for the trouble I caused him.
To say I hate a thief is a major understatement.

tomme boy
05-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Forgot to add that 2 weeks ago the doctors put me on Tanzeum. The first almost full week it was working great. I have never had my sugars down like this before. Then I started to get an upset stomach. Didn't think anything of it. Then I took the next weeks shot of the tanzeum. Later that night my insides felt like they were turning inside out. Anyway I sat on the pot all night Sunday till Monday at 5 AM. Then Everything started to come out the top end. That lasted till noon. My other half took me to the ER and they ran all kinds of blood work and said nothing is wrong other than a little dehydrated. Well I'm here to tell you, I had a severe reaction to the tanzeum. This Sunday morning was the first time I was not running to the pot every 15 min. My bottom felt like you drug me down a gravel road about 10 miles.

I have never felt so bad in my life as I did last week. So if anyone goes to the Doc and they want you to try Tanzeum, have a really good talk to them before you commit to it.

ShooterAZ
05-17-2016, 03:46 PM
tomme boy, I'm sorry to hear about your theft. You may want to check Craig's List in your area for your missing items. A lot of dirt bags will put their stolen stuff on there for sale. If you see it, send the cops over to get your stuff back.

OS OK
05-17-2016, 04:15 PM
It's happening like an epidemic. Three times in the last month here.
The LE do what they do best and take a report, but you're left holding an empty bag.
First night it was a drunk teen sleeping it off in my car. He got scared and left a shoe, wallet and some cigs. Cops took them as evidence and I locked the car. Next night he returned and knocked out a side glass trying to find his stuff. So now I'm out the cost of replacing the window. The next week my son borrowed my truck and left it parked in his drive next to the street. Someone (I suspect the same one) broke in and made off with all my CDs, a 5 cell mag light, and a big multitool.
Again a report was taken and I am totally PO.
As with the other posters, next time, it will be heck to pay if I get proof.
LEO confidentially said there would be little done and he'll be back, out for revenge for the trouble I caused him.
To say I hate a thief is a major understatement.

Before calling the Cops, I think a chat at his residence would be in order. Give him some special attention and put the fear of God into him. These guys just won't quit till you are broke. The Law just spanks them on the hand and turns them loose out here. Vigilante justice, reclaim America!

white eagle
05-17-2016, 04:34 PM
That is about as low as you can get
stealing a mans fishing equipment

w5pv
05-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Pray that your health gets better but this Sheriff we have told me that he didn't want to hear but one story.I was having problems with the trash across the hwy and they out here two or three time a week.I got me a good dog and all the problems disappeared after a little time.

Blackwater
05-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Can't remember the title of the movie I saw years back…but, they put a Bobcat in a suitcase. When the thief stole it, then ran to the awaiting car to speed off he opened the suitcase…Uh Oh…

Thieves need some 'special' attention.

Had to really laugh at that one. That's the basis for an old joke I've heard all my life. I'm sure it actually happened somewhere, some time. Some of my friends were .... let's say "mischievious" in their younger days. One found a skunk and managed to capture it. Kept it in a cage for a while. Then he and some friends got to drinking beer, and playing that old game, "Macho, Macho, who's go the Macho," and they got the idea of taking a box and wrapping it neatly with a bow on top (it was near Christmas) and setting it out on the shoulder of the road. Sure enough, a car came along while they were hidden in the bushes, and someone got out, looked all around, and picked up the box and got back in the car. They got about 150 yds. down the road when it went to swerving all over the road, and quickly stopped. The doors flew open and everybody (IIRC there were 5 of them) came barreling out holding their faces or noses or whatever. They laughed so hard the people in the car heard them, but apparently, were in no shape to go back and retaliate, or maybe were just humble enough to know they'd been had. He still gets tears in his eyes telling that story, he laughs so hard! He's quite a different fellow now, but it's STILL funny to both of us, even now. I guess some of us were kind'a lucky we didn't get shot back then?

Pipefitter
05-17-2016, 05:39 PM
I caught two neighbor kids stripping a farm tractor on my back lots and selling the parts for scrap. Two weeks later the parents moved to the next state. Three months later I had my day in court, the judge awarded me over $9,000, the amount to replace all of the stolen tractor parts. That was 4 years ago and so far I have received $150 in restitution. The cops in the next state know where these kids are living, but they cannot pick them up because it is a "non extraditable" offense.
Two years ago they picked up one of the kids in this county, the kid spent a week in county lockup. I was called to testify at his release hearing. I asked the *** judge to put the kid on reporting probation until such time as the $9,000 was paid off. Her reply was "I will not put him on probation because that will interfere with his ability to get and keep a job". The judge then looked at the kid and told him to get a job and begin making regular payments. (YEAH, RIGHT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) Again, nothing from our great judicial system..................

Blackwater
05-17-2016, 07:08 PM
That's a sad story, Pipefitter. And it does happen. But all too often, it's the victoms that "don't have the time" who are the reason more restitution isn't paid. Judges vary widely, about like the rest of humanity. But many if not most judges are pretty sympathetic to victims, and do a pretty fair job of doing their part in getting victims "restored" to their pre-crime conditions. Sorry you lost in the lottery of picking judges. It's amazing how liberalism has spread and infected just about everything in our once proud and pretty darn just nation. You did your part, and should be proud of trying. I salute you for your efforts, even if it didn't pay off this time.

DLCTEX
05-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Persons passing bad checks can be made to pay restitution here if convicted and put on probation, but all state fees etc. come out of their payments first. If they complete the probation you may finally get your money. If they go to prison and complete their time you get Nada.

45workhorse
05-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Before calling the Cops, I think a chat at his residence would be in order. Give him some special attention and put the fear of God into him. These guys just won't quit till you are broke. The Law just spanks them on the hand and turns them loose out here. Vigilante justice, reclaim America!
LawYER, let's them go do not blame LAW Enforcement. We do our best.

dragon813gt
05-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Figured I'd post an update. She completely took the trap. Trail cam caught her in the safe on Monday. She wasted absolutely no time.

She saw me checking the cam when I got home. Said a whole bunch of stupid things that only a guilty person would say. I placed the SD card in my work backpack. Left for work this morning and went to get it out an hour later. It wasn't in the bag. Called her up and told her to check my work pants from yesterday, said it wasn't there. I immediately drove back home and checked everything in the laundry basket, wasn't there. Went upstairs, she called me saying she found it. When asked where she found it I was told it was in the bottom of the laundry basket. That's funny because I removed everything from the basket.

Just wait because the lies aren't over. This time I drove down the block to check the pictures. Booted up my laptop, surprise it booted to her login page. I haven't let her use my laptop in over a year. Checked the pictures, all the evidence need. So she used my computer but was to stupid to delete the pictures or cover her tracks.

Called her up and asked her if there was anything she wanted to tell me. Of course she said no. Told her this was the last chance to tell me, again no. At this point I went home to discuss it in person. Asked her if drugs or gambling was the reason she was stealing from me. Ttold me no repeatedly. I had to get to work and told her she had until Friday to tell why she has repeatedly stolen from me. I've left out a lot of personal details but I kept my cool through the entire discussion w/ her.

Got a call from her around 3pm. Told me she was checking into a drug rehab program. She finally admitted what the problem was. I knew but her admission is the first step to recovery. For anyone going through this w/ family I feel your pain and wish you luck. When it's someone you love it makes it extremely hard to just cut them off. Maybe I've already given her to many chances? Only time will tell. This is the final straw and there won't be anymore chances.

I don't know how Blackwater types this much in every one of his posts :laugh: ;)

1911sw45
05-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Should of took the evidence to the police and pressed charges. She will do it again and you are letting her, inabling her. Just get ready to have it happen again. Bet she don't go thru the rehab or finish it. Once a addict always a addict! She will steal from you and others again. She needs jail time. Tough love

OS OK
05-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Dragon, I'm with 1911 on this one…"Tough Love', it's fair and just and one day if she is successful in rehab she will admit that. At that point it will take everyones help and encouragement to keep her on the straight and narrow…but never forget this…a liar is a liar for life, very few get over that habit…rehab doesn't fix that.

masscaster
05-18-2016, 06:03 PM
I do use a trap, called "the Purple Man". It was used on the Farm by my grandpa and others.
I used it to catch a person stealing my Firewood, and it's quite simple.
Items needed:
India Ink (Any Color. I like Purple)
1 Quart Sandwich Bag (Used to be cleaned Hog Intestine)
2 Pencil size Flexible Hose (Vacuum Line Works)
Fishing Line (1 - 3 Feet)
A flat board with some weight + a 5" - 8" stick.
A heavy Rubber Band, or Tag Wire.
Salt (Add to the Ink in cold weather)

Basically making a deadfall trap with the squirt bag of ink under it. With the items and a little thought it will be obvious how to construct it.
I can honestly say catching Purple people is not a problem.
; )

Jeff

OS OK
05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
"Outstanding"…I wonder how long India Ink lasts on the skin? Just think what you could do with a little air pressure behind it and coming out of a 1/2" pipe cleverly positioned to hit them in the face! Deadfall type trigger making contact on an electric sprinkler valve or somesuch…they would be purple faced for a while, hands and all!

You sure learn a lot around here…charlie

RogerDat
05-18-2016, 06:54 PM
We had a thief break in while we were on vacation for a 3 day weekend. It was a guy that had been hanging out with the couple that rented downstairs apartment in this divided house. People across the street saw who was up there, thought they were feeding the cats or something for us. Not that much of real value was stolen but I do hate a thief, especially one that is all friendly to my face. I went downstairs and asked where our stuff was, both the guy and the girl living there knew "nothing" I repeated the question to the guy while holding him against the wall by his adams apple and groin, maybe 2 inches from the floor. He allowed how their friend Daniel had our stuff and had cashed in our wheat pennies at the local convenience store gas station. He also thought I might be interested that Daniel had a history of doing this up north where he used to live. Anyway, the store had a policy that rolled coins had to have a name and address written on them, I bought those rolls as evidence, then went to the address. Found a bag on the porch with my camera and some other stuff, woman that owned the place claimed she did not know Daniel, had no idea how that stuff got there on the shelf with hats and gloves. At which point my wife decked her. Said "female dog" you are wearing the necklace he stole from me. I pointed out it was too bad it was custom made and I still had the receipt so now your busted too. Police arrived, woman figured cooperation and innocent victim was best approach so we got most of our stuff back, and found out where Daniel was hanging out.

They busted him and in the pre-sentencing meeting with the prosecutor we were told that the probation department was recommending probation. We wrote a letter to the judge, pointed out this person had a prior history that could be confirmed, that he generally stole small enough amounts that the penalty was a short stay in local jail. That this person had stolen the money that we encouraged our kids to save from chores out of their piggy banks. Had left them feeling fearful, stole the car I needed since we both worked and damaged it. In short he needed to learn that this behavior has consequences for him as it did for his victims. Judge agreed sentenced him to 3-5 years in prison. Means out in around 2 years EXCEPT that he was sent to a minimum security facility late in that second year and escaped. So back in for the 5 plus 1 for escape. If he is lucky they allow the 1 year to be served concurrently with the 5. Point I'm trying to make is when they get busted make sure you speak up as a victim. Judges more often then not will listen.

Oh and as a desert, the girl and guy downstairs stole my income tax check and cashed it at a local market where her sister worked. Sister knew check was not made out to either one of them so they fired her, found downstairs guy and girls finger prints on the check. They took a plea deal and we went along with it because the case was weak, sister was not likely to testify. Still they did do a short stay in jail, had to pay back the money. Oh and were kicked out, lease had something in it about convicted of a criminal activity on premises allowing landlord to evict. We pushed land lord for that one. More of the it takes work on your part to get justice.

The fellow that helped cover for the guys that murdered my brother find some of our family there at every parole hearing, letters from the rest. Far as we are concerned he can do all 10 years for accessory after the fact. Maybe if he would give some indication that he understands why what he did was wrong we might feel differently. Instead he feels he is the victim because he is doing so much time for only providing a get away ride afterwards. You want justice sometimes it is a long slow slog.

If you want the family member to stay in rehab, ask the prosecutor to either suspend sentence or wait to see how rehab goes before going to trial. Don't know if you live someplace where they will work with you like that but if they do then file the police report. Having you cut them off is one thing, having a judge ready to sentence them if they don't complete rehab is something else entirely.

Aside from the legal question of setting a booby trap, there is a moral issue, what if you blind or badly injure a young kid, or hurt someone coming to the aid of a person they think is accidently caught on the hooks. Or a pet cat or.... You are not there in control so your trap could injure anyone. Then there is the you hurt them but did nothing to catch them, now unknown person is looking for payback. Much better to have the photo, call the cops. Much as I hate a thief I'm not sure I would even confront someone at gun point out in the yard over some fishing poles. There may be a lot of reasons to use deadly force, not sure fishing poles rises to that level. Stealing the boat? I might be tempted to obstruct them with my presence. Their call at that point if they want to pick a fight with an armed person in their own yard while committing a felony.

RogerDat
05-18-2016, 07:05 PM
I recall from working in some plants that engineer's blue mixed with grease works well for marking who is getting into your lunch or tool box. I'm thinking mix of airsoft BB's packed with grease and stain/ink launched by compressed air from a big bore piece of PVC pipe. Think pumpkin chucker with ASBB's and greasy dye. Your are there so you know what you are shooting. If I am on the jury that don't even sound like you used any force after about 10 yards. Would make it easy for the cops to find the suspect, of course bird shot in the backside does too. "Your looking for the fellow laying on his belly in an ER getting little pellets pulled from his tushy, he may have soiled skivvies also."

clintsfolly
05-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Had a problem with gas being stolen off a job. So one Friday night I stayed late and emptied the barrel and filled with water! Monday told my gas person to use the cans out of my truck. Tuesday two of my people didn't show up till noon. Both had car problems would not run. I checked the gas barrel and 25 gallons of water was gone. Both claimed they got bad gas at two differant places. The sheriff deputy found cans at both houses with water in them. Never liked to fire people but they got laid off the day I hired two new guys! Never got to court but they lost a job that that lasted two years.

country gent
05-18-2016, 08:12 PM
I will say your ordeal went better than mine did Roger Dat. My wife was hit and killed by a a high school student. We tried to be involved and wanted to know what was going on. County Sheriffs dept, and the prosecutor wanted nothing to do with me or my family. It was 8 weeks before the sheriff even contacted us. No drug or alchlol testing was done that could be used in court after the accident. We I talked to prosecutor and went to hearings. I asked for drug alchlol testing probation and community service. All were given along with a $750.00 fine. 2Weeks after the hearing she pettitioned the court and everything but the fine was waived so she could go in the reserves as planned. we were never notified of this second hearing or that it had taken place. I had asked for restitution on bills and didnt get it. In the courts its a toss up what is going to happen depending on the Judge and personel you happen to get.

dragon813gt
05-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Tough Love sounds good on paper. But in reality is very hard in real life. I caught her in my safe. Nothing was stolen this time so I can't press charges. And trying to prove cash was stolen is a tough one. Especially considering a lot of it was money my son received from holidays and his first birthday.

I don't agree w/ once a liar always a liar either. I know a few people that have completely turned their lives around. I know this is rare, but it does happen. W/ it being a family member I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. If it wasn't a family member it would be simple to cut ties and move on. This is what's going to happen if one more thing, no matter how small, goes missing.

If it happens again I can say I tried to help. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't. Money is just that and can easily be replaced. You can't easily replace a family member.

Mica_Hiebert
05-19-2016, 12:40 AM
Some one got the doors unlocked on my car last night and stole my check book. had a stop payment made on all of the checks but they still have access to the routing numbers. I have already set up a ton of security lights to try and deter theft I am going to set up some game cams and figure out who this *** hat is.

kir_kenix
05-19-2016, 02:24 AM
Get to know your GOOD neighbors well. Biggest deterrent is the thief knowing that you have other people in your corner or who can look out for you.

I live in a very rural area in Nebraska. I have one neighbor about 2 miles SE of me and another 2 miles NE of me. I have a 3/4 of a mile private drive that can't be seen down from the county road. I spend alot of time out of the country, and my 4 wheeler was stolen while I was in the middle east last summer. My wife and baby were inside the house when it happened. She didn't hear these criminal masterminds open the barn door or use MY ramps to load it up. Neighbor noticed a truck with Iowa plates come out of my drive on their way to town...with our Honda Rancher in the back. They called my wife...she called the police. They eventually caught the guy selling it on craigslist (actually the second time I've had a 4 wheeler stolen and recovered via craigslist). We have outside video running, and it did catch them in the act. However, it records over itself every 96 hours, and she likely wouldn't have noticed it missing in that time frame.

Point I'm making is that they probably would have gotten away scott-free if my neighbors hadn't been watching out for us. When beef prices were crazy high the end of last summer and into early fall, we watched each others stock as there were numerous "rustlers" making pretty good money snagging calves around here. They watched over us, we watched out for them. I suggest using the game cam, but try and get in with some of your more trustworthy neighbors. Odds are, if you have had stuff go missing so have they. They will have just as much interest in catching this scum as you do.

OS OK
05-19-2016, 04:16 AM
My wife constantly suggests that I hire one of the local handymen from the surrounding towns here…they advertise on the local boards in front of the hardware store, and other stores.
Being retired with a lifetime collection of tools, woodworking , welders etc., tool boxes…and the handloading/casting center all stuffed into the 3 car garage…I can't trust any stranger around here.
Don't have the good will left inside to even contemplate that. Here in this rural area it's the methamphetamines (sp.?) that are the biggest problem, people in town have a constant problem with these sneak thieves.

On the front pasture gate there's a couple of signs that read, 'keep out' and 'posted' and…"We don't call 911"…I'm not sure what that reads to a criminal, but I know what it would mean to me if I were outside thinking of coming in towards the barns or the house.

I'm sure sorry for all you fellas dilemmas…I hate seeing good folks being taken advantage of!

imashooter2
05-19-2016, 07:42 AM
On the front pasture gate there's a couple of signs that read, 'keep out' and 'posted' and…"We don't call 911"…I'm not sure what that reads to a criminal, but I know what it would mean to me if I were outside thinking of coming in towards the barns or the house.

It means there are guns here and guns are easy to sell.

ranger1962
05-19-2016, 07:50 AM
I also have Diabetes and could not get my numbers down.
I was given Trougeo and now my numbers are around 100

thegatman
05-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Game cam (hidden) is the best. My friend caught a guy dumping trash in his mailbox. It was a stupid neighbor who doesn't do that anymore.

HangFireW8
05-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Among other factors, your odds of being a victim of theft are directly related to the number of day laborers who work on and around your house.

Blackwater
05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Among other factors, your odds of being a victim of theft are directly related to the number of day laborers who work on and around your house.

Dragon, as one who's had occasion to see many such circumstances, please accept my respect and admiration for you and what you're doing. You're far from alone, and this is increasingly more common these days. Parents are just one of MANY influences on our young now, and some inevitably fall into "bad company" for any number of reasons, not the least of which is youthful desire to "be their own person," etc., etc. It's difficult just to see these situations, but you're handling it in the best of all possible ways, I think. All you can do is to do the best you can and know how, and you're certainly doing that. Keep it up, and stay strong. You may well need it. And keep your faith. AND hope. They really DO matter, both for you and her. These are the most trying and testing times I think people can go through, and handling them as well as you are doing is, unfortunately, rare. Hang in there. And you'll both be in my prayers.

And Roger Dat, what a great story to hear from you. Justice ... REAL justice, really DOES take some time and effort on our part. But if we DON'T take the time and effort to do that, we wind up with the "revolving door" we've got now. You did VERY well. Thanks. Whether many of us know it or not, YOU are the reason the system WORKS, at least sometimes.

As to those who've met with idiots in "the system," you have my heartfelt sympathy. Here in Ga., our judges are elected, and this, I think, at least makes them a little more mindful of their position and importance in the community, and helps at least some to ensure that the rich man's and poor man's sons get more "equal" treatment in the courts. It introduces the unpleasant spectre of politics into it, but the tradeoff, I think, is much more on the good side to have them HAVE to run for election. People are getting so inurred about just about everything, that even this isn't as reliable or consistent as it seems like it ought to be.

All I know for sure is that when people won't seek and pursue justice, it tends to get to be very hard to find. When people get "too busy" to do their part, things just generally tend to deteriorate badly. My respect, thanks and appreciation go out to those who'll simply do their necessary part towards bringing some semblance of justice to fruition. What you do simply matters, and it matters more tha most even want to know. Thanks for your diligence and efforts, even if they didn't work out. At least you know you did all you could.

And if your judges aren't elected, you might see what might be done to bring that about. It's no panacea, but it DOES help make evil dynasties much harder to established and maintained. Something to think about, anyway.

Blackwater
05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Oops! Double post. Fast buttons and slow fingers! Darn it!

OS OK
05-19-2016, 05:42 PM
BLACKWATER…Georgia…? Now I think I've connected the name…it's that ATV and Motocross race through the swamp and hill and dale through creeks etc.? I've watched it on the y-Tube many times.

charlie

Blackwater
05-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Don't know. I've never been into the mudbogging/ATV scene very much, but have friends who've been into it pretty heavily. A good friend's daughter and her husband and kids were into it VERY heavily, but I never paid much attention to the sites they went to, but they went to some that they called "good," which basically meant that nobody could traverse them, and the winner was the one that got the farthest into the muck and mire. They've gleefully told me about whole ATV's being totally submerged and mired in! That just never appealed to me very much. Been there and done that (nearly) in our "gumbo" while deer hunting on occasion, but NEVER regarded it as "fun!" Our more swampy and low places make for lots of good places to hold them, though. Especially with all the rains we've had this year.

I guess I'm getting old? Don't much care for seeing how far I can go before I can't go any further these days, but it would surely have been fun once upon a time.

tomme boy
05-23-2016, 09:39 AM
I want to thank all that have offered advise and even your own fishing equipment. It means a lot to me the things that are shared on this forum!