PDA

View Full Version : Picking a New Mold, 50 BMG

Thesperlonga
05-15-2016, 04:29 PM
To start off I have been casting for about a year now casting 1" balls for my mini black powder canon and hundreds of 50 cal balls for a Kentucky. But now id like to expand upon that and cast boolits eventually getting in to 30 cal for my .308 leaver gun and pistol rounds when i get there. Being the price of 50 BMG id like to start there though also i live in Massachusetts where it is NOT illegal to have ammo or components shipped to you but ever company is scared to! :2gunsfiring_v1:Casting my own would make cheep shooting much easier and more feasible.

Now I do know Im going to have to change my set up from a cast iron pot and a iron ladle to a bottom poor melting pot to save some of my own grace and will be adding antimony to harden them along with lube swaging and placing gas checks on them.

My question for all of you is what would be my best bet on a mold for a bmg. Ive done some research for a bit and found some companys that make molds specifically for them. But was unable to find reviews for them. Maby some of you know some other molds for this but the ones I found were:
-Cast Bullet Engineering's 512-975GC Single Cavity. Which i think may be a bit heavy being i cant find load data for a 975gr round
-Noe Bullet Molds 513-850-FN 3 Cavity GC (BMG) Which may be the one

or possibly
-Cast Bullet Engineering's 512-700GC Single Cavity

Id love your input on this project and if you have a mold you know of in the BMG category shout it out.

JeffinNZ
05-15-2016, 05:34 PM
I have numerous Cast Bullet Engineering moulds and highly recommend them. Mine are all of Jim's vintage prior to selling to David however I am seeing some great innovations from David also.

Digital Dan
05-15-2016, 07:27 PM
You might make some miles by paper patching that beast.

rockrat
05-15-2016, 10:57 PM
I have used the CBE, but much prefer the NOE mould. You will need a bottom pour with about 20lbs or so capacity as you will drain the pot really quickly!! Lyman #2 alloy works well, use a good lube. Tom, over at Accurate molds makes a few that will work in the BMG. Water quench your boolits. You might get by with WW's plus a bit of tin, water quenched, for lighter loads.

With regards to the above post about paper patching, from what I have read, its not a good idea when you are using a muzzle brake.

Thesperlonga
05-16-2016, 03:18 PM
I dont really wanna have to paper patch my rounds. That seams like it would add a lot of time and could see how a muzzel break could cause a problem with them.