PDA

View Full Version : Used my Star the first time.

mto7464
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Using some of the new to me equipment I cast up a bunch of 357 SWC today using linotype and the RCBS bottom pour pot I got. Man I love that RCBS over the Lee drip o matic. It keeps a nice even temp. Cast about 400 boolits and lubed them in the Star. Talk about fast. My arm got tired before I got half way thru. Was thinking of selling it and using the Lymans but I think I have changed my mind.

runfiverun
05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
just keep thinking size , lube,pause size, lube..
and run an already lubed one every 15 or so..

Sig shooter
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Run the heated unit with hard lube . A light bulb - heat gun - propane torch if the star is mounted to a plate , will get just a bit of heat to smooth everything up . Check your bullet size , maybe the casting temp can be changed to get them smaller / few % softer .

jleneave
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I absolutely love my Star lube/sizer. I have never used any of the others, so I don't have anything to compare it against but I can't see there being one that's any faster. I do have the heated base that I got at the same time as I got my sizer and it only takes very little heat to get the harder lubes flowing easily. My base is set on the lowest setting and it only takes about 5 minutes and the lube is warmed up and ready to go. If I turn the heater up any more than that the lube gets really messy. I am using Lar's Carnuaba Red lube. The star is a bit of a pain in the A$$ to get set up, but once it is you can fly through bullets like nobody's buisness. I only wish that Magma would put out a more detailed owners manual for it. The one that comes with it is hard to understand, at least it is for me. You would think that as expensive as these units are that they would have a decent manual.

Jody

mto7464
05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
just keep thinking size , lube,pause size, lube..
and run an already lubed one every 15 or so..

Okay, I get it. Lube pause, sip a beer, lube pause, now I getting the hang of it.:drinks: