PDA

View Full Version : Loading Powder Coated Boolits-Cast or Jacketed Data?

alamogunr
05-14-2016, 12:55 PM
I've started to set up my new-to-me RL550 to load 9mm. I'm going to use 147 gr. powder coated cast boolits because I can get them fairly inexpensive. The company I can get them from is located less than a quarter mile from my home.
http://www.shop.blackbulletsinternational.com/main.sc

My problem is determining what data to use for powder charge. There seems to be a conflict between cast and jacketed on what OAL to use. Although I'm not loading to max, I still don't want to seat too deep and raise pressures.

Factory 115 gr FMJ 1.100" OAL

Range PU(Loaded) 115 gr Approx 1.140" OAL

Load Manual Data
Lyman Cast #4 147 gr cast Lyman 356637 1.058 OAL
Lyman 49th 147 gr FMJ 1.115" OAL

Accurate #2 147 gr RN Lead 1.140" OAL
Accurate #2 147 gr FMJ 1.095" OAL

I'm guessing that these variations have something to do with bearing surface but I still don't know how to arrive at a safe powder charge and OAL for a load with the purchased PC bullets. The bullets themselves are .649" long without grooves.

I'm going to be loading, not only for myself, but for my son and grandsons. The powder charge will probably have to be varied slightly depending on whether the starting load will cycle the guns and assuming the bullets don't go through the target sideways. I will be shooting them in my guns before letting them shoot any.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

EDIT: BTW I've got Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup(not much) & Red Dot that might be suitable to load.

runfiverun
05-14-2016, 01:21 PM
your gun will determine your oal.
once you have that [it will give you how much case capacity you have to work with]
then start your load ladders.

I'd stay away from titegroup in this instance.

alamogunr
05-14-2016, 03:09 PM
I wasn't really leaning toward Titegroup. I've got less than a pound and use it more in large caliber revolver rounds. I've got almost 8 lbs of both Bullseye and Red Dot and two 8 lb'ers of Unique.

popper
05-14-2016, 03:26 PM
I suspect HiTek, not PC, looks like the green which I've gone ~1300 without problems in 30 cal rifle. I use mid jacketed data for 40SW (165 gr - hp38) & 9mm (135gr - wst), no problem. You should get to max PF without problem. You may need to size them for your guns. I seat to where they pass the plunk test & shoot.

Walter Laich
05-15-2016, 08:40 PM
I have several loads using Red Dot. I'll PM you with them. I use both jacketed and cast and you can take it for what you will
YMMV so don't that this as Holy Writ