PDA

View Full Version : Gas check making tool on Ebay

azchisum
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Has anybody tried these..

Gas Check Making Tool 30 Aluminum Standalone FREECHEX

jleneave
05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I was looking at these last night on Ebay and almost bid on one, but like you wanted to know if the worked very well. I also wonder about using aluminum as a gas check and if it has any ill effects on a barrel? I hope someone on here has some expierence with this tool and can enlighten us.

trooperdan
05-13-2008, 04:19 PM
These have been discussed on here quite a bit.

Kraschenbirn
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Do a search for "Homemade Gas Checks" and you'll find a number of threads which discuss these die sets at length. Btw...so far, I've had quite satisfactory results using checks made using one of these sets on CBs for my 8x57 VZ-24.

Bill

jleneave
05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
I went back and read some of the post about this tool, I guess I should have done a search before posting. I am bad about that.

Has Pat Marlin got his tool up and running yet?

Jody

runfiverun
05-13-2008, 06:57 PM
not that i know of, and i am sure he will post a thread somewhere.
will probably get one of pats though.

jhrosier
05-13-2008, 09:14 PM
I fired fifty rounds of .308 loaded with aluminum checked boolits and another fifty of the same load with Lyman checks last weekend. The groups with the aluminum checks were about the same average size as the Lymans. I did get a couple of very small groups with the aluminum checks though. The results were good enough to bear repeating the test at a greater range.

I am so far favorably impressed with the results but less enthusiastic about the added work to make the checks. For me, it is more a matter of independance from commercial sources and over imaginative legislators than economics.

Jack

1Shirt
05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Havent fired any of them yet, but made a batch of 30's with both thin copper and brass for 7.62x54R and hope to shoot them tommrow. Agree with Jhrosier that they are a pain in the tush to make, but--------also they are not the greatest looking critters I have run into. Sort of look like little coke bottle tops but with less than even crimps. That said, to me it is just one more phase of casting/expirmenting/loading etc. Old dog and new tricks need to be tried regardless of outcomes just to say you tried. Couple of years ago I would not have believed in Bullplate, and now I am sold on the stuff. Banging out the home made checks can make a dull and can't go nowhere day at least productive.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Kraschenbirn
05-14-2008, 09:55 AM
....Banging out the home made checks can make a dull and can't go nowhere day at least productive.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Yep!! I'm a college basketball junkie and spent a good hunk of this year's NCAAs tapping out gas check blanks while watching the early round games. Once I got the hang of it, it went pretty quick and now I'e got a couple thousand 8mm checks on the shelf.

Bill

jleneave
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
not that i know of, and i am sure he will post a thread somewhere.
will probably get one of pats though.

Yeah, that's what I think I will do also. I would rather support some one from this board if possible. From reading the other post that other guy sounds like he could care less if he sells his tool or not. Now keep in mind I don't know the other guy and I am sure there are two sides to every story, that is just the conclusion that I have drawn from the tone of the other post.

PatMarlin, how close are ya'll to putting out your tool?? Don't mean to rush you.

Jody