PDA

View Full Version : Nice gift.

John Taylor
05-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Today a customer came in with a 336 that looked like a horse fell on. Stock was broken and the upper and lower tang were bent. He gave it to me as a parts gun but the tangs straitened out OK so all I need is a stock and tang screw. Probably put a new 30" octagon barrel on in 32-40 and make a nice shooter.

missionary5155
05-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Howdy Mr. John
Nice things happen to nice people !
Mike in Peru

pietro
05-13-2016, 09:07 AM

Maybe some before/after pics ? . :D

John Taylor
05-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Maybe some before/after pics ? . :D

Little hard to make a before picture, already straitened the tangs.

missionary5155
05-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Well you should know how to bend them back to where they were... :) Mike in Peru

Half Dog
05-13-2016, 04:12 PM
^HaHaHa...bend them back. I enjoy a good sense of humor.

TXGunNut
05-13-2016, 10:59 PM
32-40 does sound like an interesting project. Some nice wood and maybe a tang sight would make it an attractive package IMHO.

runfiverun
05-14-2016, 01:30 AM
half dog doesn't know John too well I see.

if he bent them back they are probably too straight for the stock now.
he will have to bend that to match. :lol:

quack1
05-14-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm curious as to how a professional went about bending the tang. Did you anneal it before bending, apply heat and bend, or just bend it cold? I ask, as I came across a model 53 Winchester at a very reasonable price that had a bent upper tang. It was actually bent in two directions, up, then a little farther out, bent slightly down. Can't imagine how that happened without bending the lower tang. I was afraid of breaking or cracking it if I re-bent it cold, so packed the locking lug recesses with wet rags, coated the lettering on the tang with anti-scale paste and heated the tang to red and let it cool. Then I bent it back to where it should be. Was I too worried about breaking it? Could I have just bent it cold without annealing?
Here are before and after pics.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/IMG_0004.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll300/1quack1/tangafterstraightening.jpg

John Taylor
05-15-2016, 03:04 AM
I have had more than a few Winchester come in with broken tangs and welded them back on. The Marlin was soft enough to bend cold. I had an old used stock and still need to bend the lower tang up a little bit, it may require a little heat. A few months back I made three Marlins to 32-40 with 30" barrels. The longer mag means the shooter does not have to reload for one of the matches (10 shots). I have a barrel blank in 38-55 that is 35" long which might do also. That might make an interesting rifle for long range but my eyes would never focus on the front sight.
Quack1, nice job on the Winchester tang

Outpost75
05-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Wonderful thread!

Do you use the SAAMI-dimensioned chamber and 16" twist? If building a .32-40 for yourself would you do anything different as to dimensions, throating, etc. for a gun you in which intended to use cast only? I'm sure others reading this would be curious.

John Taylor
05-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Wonderful thread!

Do you use the SAAMI-dimensioned chamber and 16" twist? If building a .32-40 for yourself would you do anything different as to dimensions, throating, etc. for a gun you in which intended to use cast only? I'm sure others reading this would be curious.
I only have one chamber reamer for the 32-40 ( PTG) and have used it on dozens of rifles with no problem but I have one coming back that needs a deeper throat so I bought a throat reamer. I guess it comes down to the bullet that is being used. Factory ammo works fine with my reamer. I have been using Shilen barrels for the 30" with 1 in 16 twist and .320 groove. The reamers I have for 38-55 are a standard and one designed by John King that has a long taper throat which seems to work good with cast.