PDA

View Full Version : I love my Magma molds.

zanemoseley
05-11-2016, 09:10 PM
Granted I'm kinda new to casting and have only owned RCBS and Magma molds I still gotta say I love the Magma molds. I just ordered my second one Monday, a 150 SWC for my 38 super bullseye gun and it arrived today already.

These molds scream quality and the sprue plate design is about 10x better than the RCBS plate. The Magma plate has a spring tensioner that I've literally never had to adjust over a couple thousand casts, on the RCBS its just held on with a bolt, it was always getting too tight or too loose.

Did I mention they have a ton of designs to pick from? Odd ball stuff in stock like my 38 super SWC, it was stamped January 2012, thats dedication to stock.

Long story short these molds cost a few more bucks than your run of the mill molds but a few dollars cheaper than your custom molds. Give them a shot if you haven't already.

Nick Quick
05-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Do you know if I buy the two cavities would fit in the master caster too? I started to kinda flirt with the idea of investing in a serious casting machine who will make my life way easier.

zanemoseley
05-11-2016, 09:54 PM
I believe all their molds are designed to work with their machines. For only about $1 they will drill and tap for RCBS handles which is what I do. Another small caveat, if using RCBS handles you have to slightly modify one of the tongs to clear the spring tension mechanism.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

runfiverun
05-11-2016, 09:58 PM
all of their molds are designed for their casting machines.
what's cool is you can send them a Lyman or rcbs mold and they will modify it to fit their master caster machine for like 35-40 bucks.
you can even use a single cavity mold by changing their spout.

Nick Quick
05-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Yes, I've seen on Magma site they can modify Lyman and RCBS for the machine. That's smokin. Didn't know tho because is nowhere specified if their molds for hand use can be interchanged with the machine jaws.
I'll first slug my bores and then order some molds from them.

ReloaderFred
05-11-2016, 11:00 PM
I've got almost 200 Magma molds for my casting machines, plus some modified Lyman, Saeco and RCBS molds. They do make quality molds for their machines, and the modified molds for handcasters can be restored to machine compatible with the mounting keys and sprue cutter.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Tazza
05-11-2016, 11:24 PM
200 molds you say, what is your address again? :)

I have about 6 magma double cavity molds for my MC, the 3 it came with were well used and I'm still using them now without any issues.

The service i got from Magma was excellent too, they shipped the same day i ordered, no issues what so ever.

ReloaderFred
05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
That would be a long swim, Tazza. My house does look out on the Pacific Ocean, but even on a clear day I can't see Australia.........

Fred

bstone5
05-12-2016, 12:15 AM
I have molds made by Accurate with two cavities that fit my Master Caster
The molds are made from steel and the mounting hardware I purchase from Magma.
I have 20 molds for the Master Caster.
The Master Caster is automated with a PLC like others have done and the machine cast 800 bullets per hour with the two cavity molds.
I have Magma convert several RCBS molds for use in the Master Caster.
The bullets are for me and my family, I do not sell the cast bullets to the public.
With me, my sons and their cousins I stay busy every three months making cast bullets.
Ran the Master Caster by hand for a few years but found out how to automate from this web site.
The automation helps but it still takes time to make 3000 bullets from one mold in the machine.

Tazza
05-12-2016, 12:44 AM
Fred - i'd be more afraid of the swim back with all the extra weight, I'll turn my torch on, see if you can see me :)

The automation of a MC is great, that or it just makes us lazy

ReloaderFred
05-12-2016, 01:34 AM
Tazza,

I see a few crab boats out there, but nothing down your way. I'd also fight you over those molds.........

Fred

Tazza
05-12-2016, 06:48 AM
Bugger, I'll have to install bigger bulbs :)

Darn, I'd hope to be stealthy enough to not need to fight it out.

6bg6ga
05-12-2016, 06:53 AM
I have a collection of Magma molds I use on my Ballisti-cast Mark IV casting machine. I simply change the width via the 4 bolts on each side of the machine and bolt on a ballisti-cast sprew plate.