PDA

View Full Version : How far into a case can a lead bullet be seated?

docone31
05-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I am loading for my .303 British. I have two weights of Lee molds. One in 155gn, and one in 185gn. Both with gas checks.
Upon comparing both bullets, with gas checks on, they have lube grooves well beyond the cartridge end. I mean, at least two lands exposed.
Suprisingly, there are crimp grooves on each bullet. I won't even go into whether I want to put a crimp on a lead bullet.
Has anyone played around with depth of the bullets in the cases?
If I were to go by what so many people have told me, I wouldn't be reloading at all. I have been reloading for over 30yrs.
My thougth, is to leave one lube groove exposed. This keeps the gas check real close to the cartridge neck.
One "expert" I know, told me if the gas check is into the cartridge, the force of the expansion of gasses mushrooms the base making a lead glob that then extrudes into the barrel.
Even with jacketed bullets, I try to get the rifling to almost engage the bullet upon loading. What is the best way with lead bullets? I am using smokeless powder, so there will be differences with loading techniques.
With paper jackets, I could see the bullet really loaded almost out of the case. The paper would cover the lube bands.
Any opinions?

runfiverun
05-13-2008, 12:09 AM
i try to get mine as far out as i can, but some boolits gotta be in the case,and they seem
to work as long as the g/c stays on i think you're okay

Calamity Jake
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
If you are going to load from the magazine then that will determan max OAL. If single loading then try to seat them to be engraved by the lands or just short of.
Most of the mil. rifles have such long throats that's impossible to get to the lands.
Exposed lube filled grooves are ok as along as they stay clean. Gas checks below the neck shoulder junction is ok too, although some will say it is a bad thing, my K31 and the 311291 requires me to seat deep enough that the GC is below the n/s junction, I have had no problems.

Lead melter
05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
docone31,

I have loaded my M-N many times with the Lee 185 gas check [B]only[B] sized to .315", seated to the crimp cannelure...no problems at all.

Also seated those same boolits deep enough in 30-30 cases to allow the action to work in a lever. This put the gas check below the neck. No problems.

You might want to reconsider not putting a crimp on the lead boolits. They work well for myself and many others.