PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

Boaz
05-08-2016, 04:46 PM
I have a 54 cal Lancaster rifle made by J P Gun Stocks . I would guess it was built in the early 90's .
I have researched a good while ago and the owner (Jim Surles) only used Green River barrels unless another was requested . The only marking on the barrel is ..Lancaster . Lancaster was a stock model rifle they made so I'm discounting that as a barrel brand . Never heard of a Lancaster barrel .
Any ideas on make of barrel ?

Der Gebirgsjager
05-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Have you taken the barrel out of the stock and looked for markings on the bottom?

johnson1942
05-08-2016, 07:06 PM
i love the looks of the lancaster rifle., i bet it is a fun and good shooter.

Boaz
05-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Have you taken the barrel out of the stock and looked for markings on the bottom?

Yours is a good question . No I have never completely disassembled it . I have owned it about 15 years . I remember removing the lock to clean it twice . Rifle was well cared for by the previous owner .

Boaz
05-09-2016, 06:29 AM
i love the looks of the lancaster rifle., i bet it is a fun and good shooter.

It's a nice rifle . Wasn't that long ago I had more rifles than good sense could justify . I'v thinned them out to the 5 I liked most and this one remains . It is a shooter .

bob208
05-09-2016, 06:54 AM
if it shoots good don't worry about who made the barrel. taking the barrel out of a full stock can be a lot of work and a lot can go wrong. like chipped wood .

bedbugbilly
05-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Removing the barrel should not be a big issue. Loosen or remove the lock, remove the tang screw and carefully drive the barrel pins out. Use a proper pin punch and be careful when removing the barrel - set the stock aside in a safe place where it won't drop or fall. In the end though . . . unless the barrel maker is a big deal to you and if it shoots well, whoever made the barrel isn't a big issue. If it is a Green River barrel - I have had several rifles that had Green River barrels and they were excellent barrels and good shooters - I built a half stock Hawken many years ago and used a GM barrel on it in .54 - in those days, I could hit anything with it.

Sounds like you have a very nice Lancaster style rifle - they have great lines and architecture! Enjoy!

waksupi
05-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Yours is a good question . No I have never completely disassembled it . I have owned it about 15 years . I remember removing the lock to clean it twice . Rifle was well cared for by the previous owner .

This is a dry climate, but I still pull my barrels every ten years or so. It's surprising how much rust you may find. I always heavily wax the barrel before putting them back in the stock, but still usually find some rust.

Squeeze
05-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Doc White, and co. Here is some info http://whitemuzzleloading.com/green-river-rifleworks/

Boaz
05-09-2016, 12:18 PM
This is a dry climate, but I still pull my barrels every ten years or so. It's surprising how much rust you may find. I always heavily wax the barrel before putting them back in the stock, but still usually find some rust.

I agree . My area is also dry but rust eventually will show up . I use Renaissance wax myself , also wax the wood in the channel . The wood is what draws and holds moisture causing a lot of the problem .

Boaz
05-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Doc White, and co. Here is some info http://whitemuzzleloading.com/green-river-rifleworks/

Thanks , that is a good read ! Doc was well known back in the day and did good work .