PDA

View Full Version : Verse of the day 5/7

rl69
05-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Always be joyful.Never stop praying.Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NLT (https://www.biblegateway.com/button/votd/bcv)

square butte
05-07-2016, 07:04 AM
It's a great way to live this life. I'm still workin at it. Thank you for the verse this morning

Preacher Jim
05-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Good verse to fill a Saturday. Now if we can just live by it with the Lord's help.

Pine Baron
05-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Thanks, rl, nice way to start the day.

Boaz
05-07-2016, 09:13 AM
I agree with all , good verse ! Thanks rl69 .

Blackwater
05-07-2016, 05:04 PM
I think it takes an awful lot, and mostly suffering, to really understand the implications of this verse well. But when you do, or at least get the full gist of it, it's an awfully humbling and perspective-correcting thing. We "grow" in our Christian life. We don't just stay the same for ANY amount of time.

This verse kind'a reminds me of the faces of some of the old WWII and other vets I've known who've been through "hell" and survived. We sometimes say, "I'm just joyful to still be alive," but I suspect we can't know what REAL joy in being alive is until we've seen what they have. And I've always marveled at how quietly strong, courageous and happy these men were. Some had significant injuries that plagued them the rest of their lives. And yet, they were happier than 95% of the people I knew.

Suffer as we might, and complain as we are so wont to, but we'll NEVER suffer what Christ did IN OUR STEAD. That's why I think in suffering lies real humility and greater understanding of our Lord. It's not a fun time, but for us willful mortals, it's often the most valuable and instructive times of our lives. If we'll but let it, it focuses our eyes on what's real and important, and kind'a lets the rest go. If we just pay attention and think, there's much to be learned from suffering. Some just resent it, and flail away in anger at things for the rest of their lives. Those who accept, survive and think, always seem to come out of these things stronger, wiser and happier.

It may be a paradox, but that's what I've seen in my time.